St Maarten Bernard Tours

mitsugirly

The place we stopped for shells was just off a road, no name or formal beach. The driver was good at finding those out of public eye spots. It had shells just washed up on shore, lots of rock too. (many of the shells still had creatures in them, so be careful). When we were leaving I saw another Bernard's van popping in, so you might just ask the driver for a good shell spot. The one we were at also was known for sand dollars.

In regards to the plane stop, 30 to 45 minutes is a long time to be at that beach. The beach is small and very crowded. The sand is hot and the crowds are large. There are some good bars, but standing on that beach for 30 to 45 will give you a few planes (we saw 3 in like 20 minutes). go in the afternoon, that seems to be the larger air traffic time.

In regards to the plane stop, 30 to 45 minutes is a long time to be at that beach. The beach is small and very crowded. The sand is hot and the crowds are large. There are some good bars, but standing on that beach for 30 to 45 will give you a few planes (we saw 3 in like 20 minutes). go in the afternoon, that seems to be the larger air traffic time.

Yea, we planned on heading there around noon until maybe 2pm. I don't plan on just hanging on the beach, only when the planes are coming in. I wanted to visit the Sunset Bar next door to get a bite to eat, drink and relax for awhile. That's why I want to stay longer. :)

I think that you can't go wrong with Joyce. I think her website describes her service quite well.

I don't want to hijack this Bernard thread, so if you have specific questions about Joyce why not start a new thread?

gary

p.s. You can also e-mail me, address is in my profile.

Thank You

Yea, we planned on heading there around noon until maybe 2pm. I don't plan on just hanging on the beach, only when the planes are coming in. I wanted to visit the Sunset Bar next door to get a bite to eat, drink and relax for awhile. That's why I want to stay longer. :)

We just returned from a week aboard the Serenade of the Seas. We did this tour with Bernard as our tour guide. I am not sure if we stayed only 30-45 minutes at Sunset Bar. It felt plenty. We had some drinks, took some pictures of big planes and even swam a bit. I don't think you need any longer there than what Bernard gives you. The planes were coming in one right after the other. It was an amazing day with all of our stops. I cannot recommend Bernard's tour any higher. We thoroughly enjoyed everything we did that day!

1196163510_southerncarribbean2010248.jpg.4705691323be3abe8582b0c2655d25b4.jpg

386985392_southerncarribbean2010255.jpg.28e426fc625aa73818cba30d8869c4f1.jpg

Is there a place to change while on Orient beach for 2 hous with Bernards Tour????

I don't recall any public areas. You could pay for a chair/umbrella/drink from any of the beach vendors and get a token to use their restroom and change in there. I wore my swimsuit under my regular clothes all day.

I was wondering the same thing. I just know after swimming, you are wet, full of sand and would be uncomfortable touring other places while feeling like crap. Do they have those outdoor showers so clean the sand off at least?

Hi, we did Bernards Tour last week and it was brilliant, i highly recommend it!!

I booked it back in March after reading the rave reviews here on Cruise Critic, he emailed back a few days later to confirm our booking. We didn't pay a deposit and paid in cash on the day of the tour, $35 each and worth every penny (cent to you Lol).

Our guide was Joe and he showed us where the cooler was and said to help ourselves!:D He had so much knowledge of the Island and was a genuinely nice guy.

We also stopped to meet the sea urchin guy, very interesting selection of sea creatures and very informative!

At Orient beach we hired 3 loungers & 2 umbrellas for $20 (should of only been 1 umbrella, but i got talking to the guy who was also from the UK and he let me have the other one!!) Included was a rum punch or soft drink from the bar and also a pass for the restroom, you could change in there if you wish although not a huge amount of space. No showers that i could see?

We were there about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (can't quite remember) we could see a few nudists in the distance, but they covered up when they got closer!

We got to Maho beach at 13:15 to see one of the 'big' planes come in, they come in quite regular, in fact The Sunset must be the only restaurant where the staff are quite ok with the diners jumping up from the tables every few minutes to photograph the planes! We left there at about 14:15 and headed back to the port, Joe said the traffic got heavy in the afternoon and they were always careful to allow time to get back to port on time for your ship sailing, as well as allowing time for those who wanted to spend time in town before getting back on your ship. Nobody on our bus wanted to stop off, so he took us straight back.

I'll add my name to the list of people who've said they'd do it again!

Just brilliant!

I was wondering the same thing. I just know after swimming, you are wet, full of sand and would be uncomfortable touring other places while feeling like crap. Do they have those outdoor showers so clean the sand off at least?

I didn't look for a shower so don't know if they are there. I swam first, then had plenty of time to dry off before getting a bite to eat at one of the beach shacks and back onto the tour bus.

silly question but when you rent the lounge chair, umbrella, get a free drink and pass to the potty, do you get to go to the potty as many times as you want? I have a 4 and 6 year old with me and they are constantly asking to go to the potty.

Are there sufficient potty breaks during the tour? We're booked in a group tour w/Bernard in December. Thanks.

Is there a place to change while on Orient beach for 2 hous with Bernards Tour????

If you rent chairs it also includes use of their facilities where you can change. We rented from the place where the owners are from Maryland. It's easy to find with the U.S. & Maryland flags.

<snip>At Orient beach we hired 3 loungers & 2 umbrellas for $20 (should of only been 1 umbrella, but i got talking to the guy who was also from the UK and he let me have the other one!!) Included was a rum punch or soft drink from the bar and also a pass for the restroom, you could change in there if you wish although not a huge amount of space. No showers that i could see?

<snip>

That would most probably have been George at Pedro's. Great guy.

The showers there are in the same building as the restroom -- other end.

th_DSCN6425.jpg

(click)

gary

silly question but when you rent the lounge chair, umbrella, get a free drink and pass to the potty, do you get to go to the potty as many times as you want? I have a 4 and 6 year old with me and they are constantly asking to go to the potty.

Are there sufficient potty breaks during the tour? We're booked in a group tour w/Bernard in December. Thanks.

For the first couple of hours you will not have any restrooms available, as you will be in the van touring the island and getting off at some nice spots for the view etc but w/o much around to use as facilities.

In Orient when you pay for the lounge/umbrella/etc, yes, you can use the restrooms as many times as you'd like, we went a couple of times, no problem.

Then in downtown Marigot I'm sure you could go into a restaurant and ask to use the facilities, personally we didn't have to, and at Sunset Bar there is also a restroom you can use.

For the first couple of hours you will not have any restrooms available, as you will be in the van touring the island and getting off at some nice spots for the view etc but w/o much around to use as facilities.

In Orient when you pay for the lounge/umbrella/etc, yes, you can use the restrooms as many times as you'd like, we went a couple of times, no problem.

Then in downtown Marigot I'm sure you could go into a restaurant and ask to use the facilities, personally we didn't have to, and at Sunset Bar there is also a restroom you can use.

Thanks. When travelling with little kids....you never know.

I am still trying to decide what to do for our excursions (cruising January '11). Last night I had decided that we would just rent a vehicle (probably a jeep for $65) for the 4 of us. Now reading how great this tour is, I am trying to decide.

Can you give some insight (other than the free drinks) as to what would make this tour beneficial over setting out on our own? Do the tour guides give lots of local information? For those of you that have been there, would you have felt comfortable setting out on your own?

Also, our daughter is 3, would she be a full fare with Bernard do you know?

Thanks

I am still trying to decide what to do for our excursions (cruising January '11). Last night I had decided that we would just rent a vehicle (probably a jeep for $65) for the 4 of us. Now reading how great this tour is, I am trying to decide.

Can you give some insight (other than the free drinks) as to what would make this tour beneficial over setting out on our own? Do the tour guides give lots of local information? For those of you that have been there, would you have felt comfortable setting out on your own?

Also, our daughter is 3, would she be a full fare with Bernard do you know?

Thanks

FYI, someone posted on another thread quite awhile back that if you rent a vehicle on the island, your insurance coverage is NOT valid while driving on the island. This makes a difference to some people on renting a vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...
We toured with Bernard in April and loved it, felt very comfortable, got to see many places of interest on the island, and had a great time overall. It was not a private tour and we were about 10 in his van.

About price, both $35 and $40 are well worth it (don't forget free drinks), and I think his statement on his website is very clear, book/confirm by September 1st: $35, otherwise $40.

This price will be for any tours from October 1st, but if you reserve and confirm your tour by September 1st, then the current price will be reserved.

After September 1st, the price will be $40 per person.

We felt the time we spent in each place was more than enough, considering the time restrictions of the tour and our time on the island. We thought the tour was well planned and interesting, really enjoyed the information Bernard provided on many aspect of the island: tourism, family life, politics, laws, economy, etc.

We toured a bit different than what is written on Bernard's website, it went something like this:

9 to 11 - Sightseeing: Great bay, Simpson bay, sea creatures man

11 to 12:45 - Orient Beach

1 to 1:30 - Marigot

1:30 to 2:15 - Maho

2:30 to 2:45 - Souvenir shop

3:00 - Back to port (he offered to take us shopping in Philipsburg and then return us to the port but no one was interested).

You said he gives you many aspects of the island. When he drives by a historical building or fort does he give you the history as well? I like to know what I'm looking at when I tour a new place. My husband would really like to hear about the fort that is there too. Thanks for the great info you have already given.

I read in an earlier post that Le String has showers. I don't know if you have to pay or not, but the person who wrote that post, got his chair there for that reason. I want a place to wash off the icky sand too when we go there in Dec 2010!

You said he gives you many aspects of the island. When he drives by a historical building or fort does he give you the history as well? I like to know what I'm looking at when I tour a new place. My husband would really like to hear about the fort that is there too. Thanks for the great info you have already given.

Actually I'm no help to you because I don't recall him talking about the history of places/buildings/forts at this point. I do remember though he has a very extensive knowledge of the island, and specifically recall him talking about the people, the schools, social classes, jobs, weather, housing, government, law, etc etc. My bet would be that anything you ask him he will be able to tell you.

Actually I'm no help to you because I don't recall him talking about the history of places/buildings/forts at this point. I do remember though he has a very extensive knowledge of the island, and specifically recall him talking about the people, the schools, social classes, jobs, weather, housing, government, law, etc etc. My bet would be that anything you ask him he will be able to tell you.

Ok...thanks! It sounds like he gives a lot of info. We usually look up the historical facts before going somewhere anyway (history nerds..I know)lol

I do know that there is a History museum on Front St. that we can go to after the tour is over. After hearing all the wonderful reviews about Bernard, I just had to sign up for a tour. I hope he's not already booked for Dec.

Archived