Photo ID for teen is learners permit ok?

star65

We had hoped to get passports but sadly it just isnt in the budget. My DD is 17 and I believe I read that she wil need a photo ID with her birth certificate. She does not have a drivers license but does have a learners permit. Is it okay for her to use this?

Thanks for the help.

We were in line in Miami last fall. They folks next to us 16 year did not

have a government issued id. Had a permit which had no photo on it. They

had a school ID of some sort. But they were not going let him board from

what we saw.

We had hoped to get passports but sadly it just isnt in the budget. My DD is 17 and I believe I read that she wil need a photo ID with her birth certificate. She does not have a drivers license but does have a learners permit. Is it okay for her to use this?

Thanks for the help.

A learners permit is not a state issued photo id. You can get her a state issued photo id before she is licensed. The cost is usually around $20. They take about 4-6 weeks to get in the mail. Without a state issued photo id they will not let her board.

You really need to have some type of photo ID, especially if you have no passport. My 17 yr old had her passport and I brought her school ID which had a photo...they never asked to see it, but she had the passport. Just paper ID is no good since there is no photo to verify the person....

A learners permit is not a state issued photo id. You can get her a state issued photo id before she is licensed. The cost is usually around $20. They take about 4-6 weeks to get in the mail. Without a state issued photo id they will not let her board.

You are dead wrong. It is issued by the state so it is a state issued id. As long as it has a picture it is fine. Also you can not have both a photo permit and photo id.

You are dead wrong. It is issued by the state so it is a state issued id. As long as it has a picture it is fine. Also you can not have both a photo permit and photo id.

Every state issues permits different. Some states let you have both. So you

need to understand what state they are talking about about before we

understand the OP issue.

I should rephrase myself, in the state I live in (Texas) a permit is a piece of paper and it is legal to have both a permit and a photo id in my state. In my state a permit is also not a government issued photo id, therefor it will not be accepted by Carnival. I did not mention that because it had been mentioned in a previous post.

In California it says right on the learner's permit that it can't be used for identification.

Same here in Texas. But I was looking at some of the OP's other posts and it seems he is from New York. So I hope they have learners permits with pictures that can be used for ID so that they won't have to scramble to get some kind of picture id. Boy do I love having a passport.

Both of our heathens have used school issued ids that had their photos on them and they have both used state of FL issued learners permits which include photo and signature.

They have passports but sometimes in port we don't bring them.

Same here in Texas. But I was looking at some of the OP's other posts and it seems he is from New York. So I hope they have learners permits with pictures that can be used for ID so that they won't have to scramble to get some kind of picture id. Boy do I love having a passport.

Sounds like some states need to join the 21st century and start putting photos on permits. How do they identify you if you get pulled over if your permit does not have a photo.

Sounds like some states need to join the 21st century and start putting photos on permits. How do they identify you if you get pulled over if your permit does not have a photo.

The responsible party in that case would be the passenger who better be over 21, otherwise they'd just haul you down to the police department and call your parents. Not from experience or anything :)

If your driver's permit does not have a picture you need a state ID. A school ID MIGHT not work everytime because it's not a government issued photo id. If you get someone who is following the rules they might say...I'm sorry you can't board the ship. I would recommend going to your local BMV and get a state ID card.

California does have a photo on the permit, but it still says it can't be used for identification in two places.

A learner's permit, which looks just like a license, with a picture, etc, is a state ID, and is acceptable. In order to get it, you need to have the same paperwork, as a license, since it is a step to getting the license. A picture id from a high school, or college is not an official state id and is not acceptable.

Here in Illinois the learners permit is just a piece of paper (at least it was when my daughter had one 3 years ago) and has no pic so wouldn't be good to use as an ID but State ID's with pics can be issued immediately when applied for at the DMV. No waiting for one to be mailed like in some states.

At what age do children need a photo ID? I was assuming it was 18. My younger DD is 15 and doesn't have a learner's permit or license or anything yet.

Luckily we have passports, but I was just thinking about this today before I read this thread!

Maggie

At what age do children need a photo ID? I was assuming it was 18. My younger DD is 15 and doesn't have a learner's permit or license or anything yet.

Luckily we have passports, but I was just thinking about this today before I read this thread!

Maggie

She would need to show her birth certificate or passport if she has one.

Archived