News: RCCL employee accused of burglarizing customers' homes while they cruised

Unfortunately, it appears that we are some lovely recipients of this crowd while we were on our RCCL cruise. I always worried about the porters seeing our luggage tags and never would have thought of an actual employee working at the center doing this. The positive side of this ordeal is they couldn't get into our house because of our home security, but they did manage to do $7,500 worth of damage by trying.

Unfortunately, it appears that we are some lovely recipients of this crowd while we were on our RCCL cruise. I always worried about the porters seeing our luggage tags and never would have thought of an actual employee working at the center doing this. The positive side of this ordeal is they couldn't get into our house because of our home security, but they did manage to do $7,500 worth of damage by trying.

Wow. How do you know you're linked to that case?

It reminds me of the family, some years ago, who left a note for their milkman:

"We're on vacation. Don't leave anything."

On returning, they found their house burglarized with a note left for them:

"Thanks. We didn't leave much."

Wow. How do you know you're linked to that case?

I don't that's why I said "it appears" as the Sheriff's office is still doing an investigation since there was a witness that scared the guy off. We also live in one of the areas listed as their target areas, but it could end up being just a strange coincidence.

I don't that's why I said "it appears" as the Sheriff's office is still doing an investigation since there was a witness that scared the guy off. We also live in one of the areas listed as their target areas, but it could end up being just a strange coincidence.

Yikes. That would be some "coincidence." Sorry you have to deal with that. Unbelievable.

I always put the address of my biggest, burliest friend when I fly or cruise. Also put the phone number of a relative.

Great idea MR. Pete! Since I live in a small country town of less than 4,000 people I think that I just might have to put the address for our Chief of Police. If they get past him they won't get past his dogs :p.

Here Fideaux!

I always put the address of my biggest, burliest friend when I fly or cruise. Also put the phone number of a relative.

We put the name Joseph Ruditiski and the address of our local police station along with our son's blackberry phone number (he gets one through his job).

Tucker in Texas

We always book our travel through our travel agent. She knows us- and our travel preferences. She lives in our neighborhood, we know her family. AND, she seems to be able to book the same deals we'd get through the cruise line, so we do not pay any more. I feel sorry for these people who have been ripped off by a cruise line employee, but please- what's the advantage of booking through a stranger over an 800 number?"

We always book our travel through our travel agent. She knows us- and our travel preferences. She lives in our neighborhood, we know her family. AND, she seems to be able to book the same deals we'd get through the cruise line, so we do not pay any more. I feel sorry for these people who have been ripped off by a cruise line employee, but please- what's the advantage of booking through a stranger over an 800 number?"

I don't think it would have mattered how a cruise is booked. As an employee she probably would have had access to info on any passenger - not just the ones she dealt with.

Beth has been my cruise planner at RCL for 3 years now. She always did a great job and got me good staterooms and reasonable rates. It was shocking to read her name on CNN and the associated charges. She just had a baby and my heart goes out to the new child.

After hearing the news, I phoned RCL to verify my reservations for Oasis and to let them know how betrayed and anxious I felt. This next trip is costing over 30K which is a lot to me. I considered this woman a personal friend and shared a lot of family information with her.

The agent I spoke with Saturday assured me someone from headquarters would be calling me to let me know the steps the company is taking to secure my data, etc... It has been 5 days and still no call.

You would think they would call to at least assign me a new planner. I am a diamond member, but so what.....Hey RCCL! If your reading this an apology sure would be nice.:(

I considered this woman a personal friend and shared a lot of family information with her.

The agent I spoke with Saturday assured me someone from headquarters would be calling me to let me know the steps the company is taking to secure my data, etc... It has been 5 days and still no call.

You would think they would call to at least assign me a new planner. I am a diamond member, but so what.....Hey RCCL! If your reading this an apology sure would be nice.:(

I am sure they have a lot of calls to make -that is probably why there is a delay. (As I am sure they have to conduct regular business as well)

As for considering her a "personal friend" - really? - I always thought a personal friend was someone you hung out with or called on a regular basis for social reasons. It usually is not 1 sided.

I think too often people confuse "personal friend" with "friendly acquaintance" ... just my thought on things. Regardless, I can understand your frustration and anxiety (as well as shock.)It is a terrible thing that happened.

Beth has been my cruise planner at RCL for 3 years now. She always did a great job and got me good staterooms and reasonable rates. It was shocking to read her name on CNN and the associated charges. She just had a baby and my heart goes out to the new child.

After hearing the news, I phoned RCL to verify my reservations for Oasis and to let them know how betrayed and anxious I felt. This next trip is costing over 30K which is a lot to me. I considered this woman a personal friend and shared a lot of family information with her.

Are you saying that somehow she got you rates that weren't available to everyone else? I am pretty sure anyone could book on RCI's website and get the same rate you got by talking to her. As far as getting a new vacation planner from RCI, calling Crown and Anchor and talking to whomever answers the phone will most likely work just as well.

I recently was on a Celebrity Infinity cruise (March-April, 2010) and was shocked to learn that my credit card info had been compromised and the probable cause was the RCCL employee who checked us in at the departure terminal. Because fraud was being attemped on the card my credit card company told me that I had to close that account immediately, while out at sea. Since this was the card I had used for my shipboard account I had to re-establish my ship account using another less "convenient" card (my company buisness card) Fortunately I had another "high credit limit" card with me or this could have been a very bad situation. How can this happen you ask?? The computers were down at the terminal in Florida when we checked in and RCCL employees had to hand write all of the credit card information on a "credit card information form" and take a manual imprint of the card rather than swipe the card through a credit card terminal. :mad: What made matters even worse in my opinion is that the ship's accounting office was aware of the problem and neglected to advise the passengers who were or might be effected about the situation.

Suites often don't price out online. For standard rooms, I'm sure I could have gotten identical rates via the Web. I just like to deal with the agents especially with regard to stateroom selection.

Do you know where your Cruise Agent lives? I do. In this world of internet shopping and 1-800-anonymous, it is smart business to use a local expert. Get to know your local cruise agent, they will look out for your best interest. If you personally know your Cruise Agent, they will do backflips for you, as you are their best source of advertising. And yes, there is a bad apple in every bunch, but you get to be the judge of those apples and you will pick out only the best ones.

Also, to those who want to notify the police when they are gone-Don't. My parents' house was burglarized because we let the police know when we were on vacation. Yes, there was a bad apple in the local police department.

Friendly acquaintance much better characterizes our relationship. We spoke on the phone maybe 50 or so times over the years and she was always kind.

Peer pressure never ends - no matter how old you are (as well as wanting to be loved and accepted) maybe she got caught up in wanting to impress her husband ... who knows :confused:

Just because she did this terrible thing - doesn't mean she wasn't kind. And no, in no way shape or form am I wanting to put the blame on her husband and/or excuse her behavior! There comes a time when you have to take responsibility for your choices and decisions in life ... I am just saying that people (like Ogres) have many layers. We are all like onions (or parfaits ;))

Btw, I have a degree in psychology :p (I can't help myself) ... I also couldn't help putting a nod in to RCI's new favorite green friend :D

Wow. Can't say I'm shocked, but it really stinks to read it. I have a home alarm system, but I'm guessing that cutting a hole in the glass wouldn't set off the alarm, why would it?

That's just awful.:mad:

Check with your security company.. it should set off the alarm if set up properly

In the UK when booking a cruise by phone or on line, we give all our details, even passport, credit card and even the CC ID code.

I have often wondered what would happen while we are away.

We trust a faceless person on the phone,someone we have never met.

They know when we are away and for how long.

What i do know is that if this information is used to clone our card or enter our house, no company will except responsibility.

As they would go bust if it got out.

Maybe it is better to use a TA a long way from your home.

g

Archived