News: RCCL employee accused of burglarizing customers' homes while they cruised

Yep, one day I forgot about the dog --who was sleeping peacefully on the sofa when I left:eek:. Well, you can guess the rest.

:eek: poor doggie! Good motion detector tho LOL. Our doggie has "escaped" and set ours off a few times as well. No fun for anyone.

I think of things like this when I see a motor home on the road that has the owners name and home town painted on it. Crook thinks - they live in Tampa, Florida and I see them in Colorado - let me call my friend in Florida since we know they're not home.

You should never put your name and home address on visible luggage tags either.

I always laugh because when we'd get in a cab on the way to the airport, my dad would say, "Oh, isn't it nice that Aunt Susie and Uncle Joe are staying with their big German Shepard, Thor, in our house for the week" really loud so the cab driver would hear him. Sure, dad, we know that worked! :D

I don't know why everyone is surprised. These boards are full of roll calls indicating exactly when and how long we will be away from our homes. If you are foolish enough to give personal identifying information about yourselves you are asking for trouble.

I agree ... a large percentage of posters on these boards advertise in their signature when they will be away.

I always laugh because when we'd get in a cab on the way to the airport, my dad would say, "Oh, isn't it nice that Aunt Susie and Uncle Joe are staying with their big German Shepard, Thor, in our house for the week" really loud so the cab driver would hear him. Sure, dad, we know that worked! :D

I always thought comments like that were a good idea. I don't trust cab drivers either. :o

Gina

We have our mail held at the p.o. and our lovely (read VERY large and unfriendly) dog stays home and the one person he won't be aggressive with comes over to care for him while we're gone.

Funny thing is, you won't know he's there until you come in the door....

The RCCL employee burglarizing customers does not surprise me, but how many people still actually put their home address on their luggage tags? WOW, I really would rather not have everyone at the airport know where I live and that I have just left home, then the taxi driver taking me to the port knows my address also. Name and phone number is all the info on my luggage tag.

The RCCL employee burglarizing customers does not surprise me, but how many people still actually put their home address on their luggage tags? WOW, I really would rather not have everyone at the airport know where I live and that I have just left home, then the taxi driver taking me to the port knows my address also. Name and phone number is all the info on my luggage tag.

People move so much. Boy, if someone had gone to the address on my luggage tags for a few years....they'd have surprised then new owners of my old house. LOL

Gina

:)Funny

I don't know why everyone is surprised. These boards are full of roll calls indicating exactly when and how long we will be away from our homes. If you are foolish enough to give personal identifying information about yourselves you are asking for trouble.

It's amazing how much people will share on this site, don't you think?

It is too bad for the company to have to deal with this, since there is no way I can think of if people have no prior criminal record to know if someone will misuse / abuse their access to private information.

Short of psychological testing!:eek:

I agree. But, if a company does a background check that goes back, say, 20 years and they find nothing, it's probably a safe bet that that person is honest. I believe that people who are thieves and/or commit fraud never do so only once; each time they get away with it convinces them that they'll get away with it the next time. And they may for a while. But, sooner or later they'll get caught. By their very nature they are repeat offenders, and this flaw increases the likelihood that they will get caught and have a record. Employers just need to do background checks that go back more than just a few years.

I agree. But, if a company does a background check that goes back, say, 20 years and they find nothing, it's probably a safe bet that that person is honest. I believe that people who are thieves and/or commit fraud never do so only once; each time they get away with it convinces them that they'll get away with it the next time. And they may for a while. But, sooner or later they'll get caught. By their very nature they are repeat offenders, and this flaw increases the likelihood that they will get caught and have a record. Employers just need to do background checks that go back more than just a few years.

I would bet a lot of records are purged in far less than 20 years. Many people are arrested and never convicted. And wasn't the woman's husband the one with the past record? Employers can't run background checks on family members. Who knows when a family member forces another to get the information they need under threat of who knows what...no excuse, I know. Background checks can only uncover so much.

Gina

What about putting your cabin number on this thread and having an over zealous cc (M&M) person make a dinner reservation for you, when all you did on this thread is mention you would love to have dinner in Chops on formal night!

What about putting your cabin number on this thread and having an over zealous cc (M&M) person make a dinner reservation for you, when all you did on this thread is mention you would love to have dinner in Chops on formal night!

I think they would need your last name. I suppose people give that out here, too.

Gina

Several years ago an employee at the local newspaper was arrested for selling lists of people who had stopped their paper while on vacation. It formed a pretty obvious pattern and the police eventully zeroed in on the scheme. We still stop our paper when gone but do it directly with the carrier.

Also, we avoid using our last name on the cc board. Think the bad guys would have a hard time figuring out someones address with only the potential targets first names and a city as information.

I always worry that someone will surprise my house-sitter (Mom) while we are gone. We live WAY out in the country but have the usual "spot & steal" druggies drive by from time to time. (We have video cameras, ya'll.) The way the locals spread the gossip, EVERYONE knows the one week of the year we aren't home. So, Mom has to stay & she's cheaper than boarding 9 cats, 2 dogs, a horse, that 'darn' pig...a herd of cows...

I'm afraid that the older she gets, the poorer her vision is. When she aims/shoots for the chest, she tends to hit the groin these days.:eek: It could be quite traumatic for her to have to shoot someone again to put them out of their misery!

Texas humor...:cool:

Yes they do, but it's hard to find Brunello22's house in South Florida.

True-but I've read some things in roll call threads that would make it very easy for someone to find that persons house!! :eek:

I always worry that someone will surprise my house-sitter (Mom) while we are gone. We live WAY out in the country but have the usual "spot & steal" druggies drive by from time to time. (We have video cameras, ya'll.) The way the locals spread the gossip, EVERYONE knows the one week of the year we aren't home. So, Mom has to stay & she's cheaper than boarding 9 cats, 2 dogs, a horse, that 'darn' pig...a herd of cows...

I'm afraid that the older she gets, the poorer her vision is. When she aims/shoots for the chest, she tends to hit the groin these days.:eek: It could be quite traumatic for her to have to shoot someone again to put them out of their misery!

Texas humor...:cool:

LOL!:p

I would bet a lot of records are purged in far less than 20 years. Many people are arrested and never convicted. And wasn't the woman's husband the one with the past record? Employers can't run background checks on family members. Who knows when a family member forces another to get the information they need under threat of who knows what...no excuse, I know. Background checks can only uncover so much.

Gina

You are probably right as far as the purging. As you say, many people are arrested and never convicted, but that arrest should still show, shouldn't it? Also, the woman had a conviction for fraud (or maybe it was just an arrest, I can't remember). But, it was more than 7 years ago.

Archived