Please advise.....

minner80

We just booked our cruise on the Freedom. We had free flights to Orlando. We will need to rent a car in Orlando, drop it off somewhere that will transport us then to the port. We will be spending one night in Fort Lauderdale or somewhere between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. I thought about dropping the car off and staying at a hotel that had a rental car company. I am finding out that most rental car companies in hotels will let you pick a car up from them but, however not drop it off. Help!

We just booked our cruise on the Freedom. We had free flights to Orlando. We will need to rent a car in Orlando, drop it off somewhere that will transport us then to the port. We will be spending one night in Fort Lauderdale or somewhere between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. I thought about dropping the car off and staying at a hotel that had a rental car company. I am finding out that most rental car companies in hotels will let you pick a car up from them but, however not drop it off. Help!

We used Enterprise and were allowed to drop the car off in Miami at the Hyatt.. you may want to check the Florida board for some more info..

http://www.roatanshoretours.com/beach_day.htm

You need to look a bit more. Most national chains will let you drop it off at any of their locations, including hotels.

The last time we did this (March of this year), we spent the night in Orlando, and drove to FLL the morning of the cruise. Orlando hotels are generally a lot cheaper that what you will find in FLL. We chose Alamo car rental, as they were the cheapest, no drop off fee.

We dropped the car off at the airport, and took a taxi to the port.

One way car rentals in FL generally have no or a very low fee.

Port Everglades is about a 5 minute cab ride from the airport (FLL). Depending on traffic getting into the port a cab is generally less than $20.

Some of the car rental companies at the airport participate in a free shuttle that runs between the car rental terminal and Port Everglades. Other companies offer their own shuttle service.

When we cruise out of S Florida, we rent a car out of our local airport and drop off at FLL.

There's honestly not much after Orlando until you hit the coast on the turnpike-I agree with the poster who suggested staying in Orlando. You can Hotwire/Priceline the hotels near the airport for low rates. (We stayed at the Sheraton Suites for $35/night a few years ago.)

You dont need to pay for a cab from fll airport to the port.After you leave your rental back go out to the front of the building{I think its the 2nd floor,but is clearly signposted}and there is a free shuttle bus that drops you off at your ship.You can even see the ships while your waiting on the bus to leave.Its one of the easiest ways to get to the ship there is.

Archived