All things Voyager of the Seas

I would guess so... Even from Hobby Airport (in south Houston) it's still another ~50 miles to the Cruise Terminal, Bush Intercontinental is ~75 miles to the Cruise Terminal (and you have to go straight through downtown). Plus, something I've *never* understood, is the rental car companies not being open on Sunday in Galveston.

Very close. I just Mapquested it :)

IAH is 70 miles and HOU 42. Fortunately, sailaway is on Sundays so downtown traffic is negligible.

The route is direct on I-45. The most common problem on weekends are occasional delays on I-45 when lanes are closed for repairs.

It's sixty miles from my front door. :D

Did not know that about rental car companies. That's kinda dumb. A limo from IAH is $127.50.

HOU's not much different at $125 (Don't ask me why :confused:). That can be a good choice when sharing.

However, a rental car would be significantly less, even with a drop off charge. I did a quick search.

Neither Hertz nor Avis have an office in Galveston. Enterprise does, but as you said they're closed Sundays.

I've been on the Voyager of the Seas three times so far, and booked again for next December and next March. I think you'll like it. Good 9-piece "big band" ship's band. Several other places for live music (Cleopatra's Needle; Viking Crown; Schooner Bar).

Thank you for that, we're booked on the 13th, along with Mac Hays and the Texas Tenors from what we understand, ours are ballroom dancers so the big band will be an added attraction.

We'll have "tea dances" with Mac Hays as I understand it.

Check out Galveston Hotels that will let you leave your car and come in a day early as Galveston is another port of call with a lot to see and do.

We do speak English!!:D

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/

We have grown to LOVE the beautiful Voyager of the Seas ! I have sailed on six royal caribbean ships and she is right at the top. Even if she is a lil older ( like me :p ) she is in really great shape ( like I want to be :rolleyes:)! We love the size & people ratio to areas, she never feels crowded unless you MUST be the first person in line for something. The staff has always been outstanding and the service great! My favorite spot is the library, nice sitting area that has a view of the Royal Promenade. While I like the solarium on the radience & vision class ships better, Voyager has a very nice one but it does get a lot more sun than the others.

We will soon be sailing her back from Barcelona,Spain to Galveston on a 14 day Transatlantic. I'm looking forward to 14 glorious days aboard a beautiful "old" friend!

Can anyone recommend a hotel that is close to the port in Galveston?
Harborhouse is the closest as it's right on Pier 21 (21st st off Harborside or down from Broadway. Next is the Tremont House, upscale, but worth the money. After that you move up to the Seawall or West of down town, but, keep in mind it's not a big island and none are over 20 min. away. Galveston.com below can show you most of them.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that is close to the port in Galveston?

Check out the Gulf ports board here for many opinions. We've stayed at Harbor House and Hotel Galvez. As GCurry said, everything is close. Hotel Galvez has a shuttle and you're at the pier in less than 10 minutes. Many other hotels do as well - and there are options for just about any price point. Galveston is great and it's wonderful to see her recover and get her groove back. Hopefully the current mess in the Gulf will not do terrible damage to the local economy.

We have grown to LOVE the beautiful Voyager of the Seas !

We will soon be sailing her back from Barcelona,Spain to Galveston on a 14 day Transatlantic. I'm looking forward to 14 glorious days aboard a beautiful "old" friend!

You will just love the trip! We are also Voyager Vets. Will be doing our 5th sailing in January.

We did the transatlantic from Barcelona to Galveston last year and had a fantastic time. The ocean was like a sheet of glass and the temps were in the mid 80's. Who would have believed it would be so comfortable on the Atlantic in December?

I hope you will spend a few days in Barcelona before your cruise. It's a fantastic city.

Have a great trip.

Harborhouse is the closest as it's right on Pier 21 (21st st off Harborside or down from Broadway. Next is the Tremont House, upscale, but worth the money. After that you move up to the Seawall or West of down town, but, keep in mind it's not a big island and none are over 20 min. away. Galveston.com below can show you most of them.

Harbor House will also let you park your car there for the week. Sorry to say i can't remember if there was a cost involved; if there was it was cheaper than the cruise parking lots. We left our car there and it's semi secured parking.

Printingchick,

We are planning the February 20 cruise also. We were on the Serenade on April 17. Were you on the same cruise?

How funny!! No, we were on the March 6 sailing of Serenade! We seem to have the same taste in cruises!!

Very close. I just Mapquested it :)

IAH is 70 miles and HOU 42. Fortunately, sailaway is on Sundays so downtown traffic is negligible.

The route is direct on I-45. The most common problem on weekends are occasional delays on I-45 when lanes are closed for repairs.

It's sixty miles from my front door. :D

Did not know that about rental car companies. That's kinda dumb. A limo from IAH is $127.50.

HOU's not much different at $125 (Don't ask me why :confused:). That can be a good choice when sharing.

However, a rental car would be significantly less, even with a drop off charge. I did a quick search.

Neither Hertz nor Avis have an office in Galveston. Enterprise does, but as you said they're closed Sundays.

Would a taxi be less than a limo service? We'll be a group of 4 on a budget. Looking for the cheapest way to get from Hobby to Galveston. We'll be flying in on Saturday, but we are flying out on Sunday, so a rental car wouldn't work.

Thanks!

we stayed at the holiday inn by the sea wall- i think they let you leave your car there while you cruise. The people at the holiday inn were really helpful and nice

we parked both times in the lot by the pier- paid 70 dollars both times

where are you driving/flying from- watch out for ice storms in the mid west- we got caught going thru little rock in 2009- woke up to ice everywhere. the yr before we drove thru the renaments of an ice storm-

tree limbs everywhere and some of the towns still didn't have power.

makes for an interesting drive.

we will also be on the feb. 13th cruise

Harbor House will also let you park your car there for the week. Sorry to say i can't remember if there was a cost involved; if there was it was cheaper than the cruise parking lots. We left our car there and it's semi secured parking.

$30 to park your car for the week.

Can anyone tell me how much it cost to park at the pier in Galveston? Also is there an airport in Galveston or do most people fly into Houston? We are trying to decide on driving or flying. Doug

I prefer driving but I live in Dallas. I see you are in Ft. Wayne, Indiana -- quite a bit further. So, tough call -- drive or fly? If you fly, you have to (1) pay for your bags except for Southwest Airlines (so far), and (2) pay a lot to get from Houston to Galveston. Southwest to Houston Hobby would be your best bet if that is an option -- Houston Hobby Airport is much closer to Galveston than Intercontinental/Bush. I think you would have to drive 2 hours to Indianapolis to use Southwest, but it might be worth it in overall cost savings.

Driving? If you have the time and want to stop and see other sites, then drive. Otherwise, I'd probably fly. Either way, plan to arrive the day before the cruise. One problem with driving your own car -- What if you have car trouble?

Depending on your flight arrival time to Houston, you might consider staying at a hotel near the airport with a free shuttle to the hotel. Then go to Galveston on Sunday (the day of your cruise). This can often be cheaper than staying in Galveston. And don't book to early a return flight. Last time on the Voyager of the Seas, we did not start debarking (how I love that word!) until 2:30pm due to fog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovezeuser

http://www.PreCruiseHouston.com

Found this on another thread. Hope it helps!

Thanks, not a great location but it's only for one night and it does take us to Galveston and then back to the Airport in Houston.

Will work well for us, plan on going back to airport to pick up a rental car and spend 3 or 4 more days in the Houston/Galveston area post cruise.

Total for the room for one night and transportation to Port of Galveston and back to Hobby. $197.00

Thought about renting a car driving to Galveston on Saturday, that's $40 bucks or more right there(still what do we do with the rental car since enterprise is closed on Sunday and I doubt we could return the car on Saturday by Noon before they close, then aleast another $150 for a room for Saturday night. But we would still have to pay $60 or $70 bucks to get back to Houston.

Jimbo

Would a taxi be less than a limo service? We'll be a group of 4 on a budget. Looking for the cheapest way to get from Hobby to Galveston. We'll be flying in on Saturday, but we are flying out on Sunday, so a rental car wouldn't work.

Thanks!

The one way fare w/Yellow Cab is $88.27. That might be cheaper, but you can't expect one taxi to accomodate four pax w/luggage.

Use rental car Saturday arrival (Enterprise), and a limo or ship transfer for Sunday departure.

Hey, thanks for this information. This is a GREAT deal. Right now, it's only being offered through January 31, 2011 and my cruise is in February. If they extend it, this would definitely be the way to go! It's less $$ than any other option I've found.

Hey, thanks for this information. This is a GREAT deal. Right now, it's only being offered through January 31, 2011 and my cruise is in February. If they extend it, this would definitely be the way to go! It's less $$ than any other option I've found.

Try booking it with the check in date January 30th and check out January 31st. Once it comes up and shows the $169 price go over to the left side and change it to the February dates you really want.

You should be able to get it to work that way....It worked that way for my dates in February. I think they will pretty much have to honor it because it shows it that way on my confirmation.

Try what I said and see how you make out?

Can't beat the price as long as you don't mind spending the night in Houston by the Airport and traveling to the ship the next morning the day of your cruise. It's about a 45 minute shuttle ride to the Port in Galveston.

Our plane won't get into Houston before 1 or 2pm anyway the day before the cruise, just as long as we can find something to eat, thats all we really need the night before the cruise. Plus we were at Galveston last year just before Mardi Gras, so we really just about saw all there was to see. Wasn't overly impressed.

Jimbo:)

Try booking it with the check in date January 30th and check out January 31st. Once it comes up and shows the $169 price go over to the left side and change it to the February dates you really want.

You should be able to get it to work that way....It worked that way for my dates in February. I think they will pretty much have to honor it because it shows it that way on my confirmation.

Try what I said and see how you make out?

Can't beat the price as long as you don't mind spending the night in Houston by the Airport and traveling to the ship the next morning the day of your cruise. It's about a 45 minute shuttle ride to the Port in Galveston.

Our plane won't get into Houston before 1 or 2pm anyway the day before the cruise, just as long as we can find something to eat, thats all we really need the night before the cruise. Plus we were at Galveston last year just before Mardi Gras, so we really just about saw all there was to see. Wasn't overly impressed.

Hey, Jimbo! Thanks for the tip. I'll try that!! I was going to call them and see if they'd honor it for the later date, but your idea sounds even better!!

We were not expecting to arrive until the evening before anyway, so avoiding that long drive from Houston to Galveston after a full day of traveling sounds BETTER to me!! We're coming from the northeast, so we'll have a lot of travel time on Saturday. Would much rather do that last leg of driving the morning of the cruise!

We're sailing just one week before you.

Thanks again!!!!!

We usually drive up (6+ hours) but one year we were sailing with friends who couldn't do the long drive. We stayed at the Econolodge in Galveston.

This is not an elegant place, but it's inexpensive, within walking distance to a couple of really good seafood restaurants and right near the seawall. They will allow you to park your car for the week for free. Just take a cab the short distance to the cruise dock. Most likely you will find other cruisers there who will share a cab. They do have van-sized cabs and the desk will call them for you.

Free "continental breakfast" if you want it, too.

I checked the dates for our sailing in January and a non-smoking room with AARP rates was under $40. (we are driving)

I would much rather do a budget motel for one night and spend my money on the cruise.

We usually drive up (6+ hours) but one year we were sailing with friends who couldn't do the long drive. We stayed at the Econolodge in Galveston.

This is not an elegant place, but it's inexpensive, within walking distance to a couple of really good seafood restaurants and right near the seawall. They will allow you to park your car for the week for free. Just take a cab the short distance to the cruise dock. Most likely you will find other cruisers there who will share a cab. They do have van-sized cabs and the desk will call them for you.

Free "continental breakfast" if you want it, too.

I checked the dates for our sailing in January and a non-smoking room with AARP rates was under $40. (we are driving)

I would much rather do a budget motel for one night and spend my money on the cruise.

Kellie:

I totally agree. Our original plan was to taxi to Galveston from Hobby Airport and stay at the Motel 6 - also very cheap. But when I added up the taxi rides and the hotel cost, that Spring Hill Suites package comes out to about the same cost. (There are four of us traveling.)

I called Spring Hill and they said they would "probably" be extending that deal past January 31. I'll keep watching it. I'm afraid if I force the on-line reservation system to accept a reservation after published end-date of the promotion, I could find myself without any transfer to the cruise ship terminal if the hotel stops providing that service.

So...I'll just keep waiting and watching...

Chicken, I bet when extend it they raise the price some. If you book it now you are kind of grandfathered in. lol We can always cancel it and rebook it once they extend the dates. If the price stays the same I will do that.

If the price goes up I will stick with the old reservation and go with that. But I will aleast know then that deal has been extended and we will get transportion from the airport, to the port and back to the airport. :)

Chicken, I bet when extend it they raise the price some. If you book it now you are kind of grandfathered in. lol We can always cancel it and rebook it once they extend the dates. If the price stays the same I will do that.

If the price goes up I will stick with the old reservation and go with that. But I will aleast know then that deal has been extended and we will get transportion from the airport, to the port and back to the airport. :)

Yes, I'm a chicken!!

BUT, I have good news. I emailed the hotel through the website, asking about my specific date, which is just one week prior to yours. The reply said that their records indicated that the promotion was valid for my dates and I should book through the website.

I had to use your trick in order to book through the website, as it still wanted to cut off the promo as of January 31, but I have the email which states that the promo is VALID for my dates AND a comformation from the website. So...hopefully the two TOGETHER will insure us transporation to the cruise terminal!!

So we're booked too!!!

It's really a good deal. Based on taxi fare charts I found on-line, the taxi service to Galveston would have cost us about $200 round trip, plus tips. We were looking at a really cheap Motel 6, which would have added about $100 for two rooms, estimating the taxes. We'd also have had a taxi fare from the hotel to the cruise port the morning of the cruise.

For almost the same price, we're getting a much nicer hotel and a nice breakfast buffet the morning of the cruise. And we don't have to add an hour drive to Galveston from the airport directly to the end of a long day of traveling. I'd so much rather stay in Houston and do the last leg the next morning.

Thanks to whoever recommended this deal. It's worked out really well for us!!

If you have a specific question about her I will be glad to try and answer your question. It might take me a few days to get back to you but just ask and I'll do what I can to help you.

I believe there is a gym on board and I am wondering if I must wear trainers if I use it or could I get away with a pair of casual shoes?

I am trying to reduce the amount of shoes I need to carry.

You would most likely need some sort of sneakers in the gym - it depends on what type of exercise you plan on doing. If you're just doing weights or floor work, you could go barefoot but to use elliptical, treadmill, you'd want sneakers. You'll probably need a pair anyway for all the walking around you'll be doing.

Archived