JFK Airport advice

Next year I am going to Europe on the Splendour. My flights home leave venice, connect thru madrid and then into JFK at approximately 7:10 pm. I have been checking the flight and it is generally on time.

Here is my question. When I get in I still need to catch an 8:50 flight on Delta. I know I am going to have to go thru customs, then make my way over to another terminal and then check in on delta, do you feel that is enough time at JFK?

I usually avoid JFK at all costs so I have not gone thru there in years, in fact last time I went to europe I went thru newark, but we are using frequent fliers this time so I had no choice.

I figure if I take a taxi instead of waiting for the shuttle it is worth the few dollars I will spend to get from one terminal to the other quicker, but I just wanted to see what getting off, getting my luggage and going thru customs is like in JFK if anyone has done it and feels that 1:40 is enough time to accomplish it all.

JFK was a little painful last year, but you don't have to take your bags to the other terminal, you can check them through as soon as you pass through customs at the airline bag drop. You should also be able to check in for your Delta flight in Venice, even if it's on another airline. I can't imagine that a taxi from one terminal to another would be any sort of advantage, if you could even get the driver to do that... I wouldn't worry about the timing between flights, seems reasonable even if customs is a little slow, you'll probably get to the gate a little before they start pre-boarding.

JFK can be rough depending upon # of flights arriving. In Feb it took us over an hour to clear Passport control coming in from Vienna and we were one of the first off the plane, then another 45 min's or so to get luggage and clear customs.

Try to be close to front of the plane for a quick exit.

JFK also has the Air-train connecting each terminal, extremely efficient.

If your using the same airline or partner try to check in your luggage to your final destination.

Don't sweat it and be prepared just in case....

Know what your options are ie all flights from JFK to your destination for that evening.

Good luck

Unless you planned in advanced, it would actually be quicker to take the airtran because the taxi lines are always SO long! JFK is my home airport so I feel your pain! I think as long as the flights are on time, you will be fine:)

Hi, I used JFK for my last two cruises coming in from Europe. In 07 we sailed Spendour and came in from Venice. No delay, and we cleared customs and weres at our next gate in plenty of time. Last May we again came into JFK from Barcelona; breezed thru customs and caught our connecting Delta Flight. You should have no problems with an 1:40 layover.

Hi Janet,

I just arrived home from my cruise on Splendor, what a great time we had. I flew Swiss Air from Rome to Zurich to JFK. I went through immigration and picked up my luggage in less than one hour....I couldn't believe it. Then we headed to the car. You should make it as long as your flight is not delayed. I would try to get off the plane as soon as you can....we were right behind first class, which helped. So we were one of the first in the immigration line but still took about 15-20 minutes to get through. We also walked fast but things went quick after immigration.

Have fun,

Patti

Alright you guys all make me feel better about it. By the time I get to JFK I techincally am only 2 1/2 hours from albany so if I really had to I could drive it, not that I would want to but I could, but at least I have options.

Last year when I came home from barcelona and I went thru newark it was no problem either and I easily could have made that flight but I do know that JFK can be tougher.

We just got home from our 5/22 cruise on Splendor. Great trip ! We flew Delta, Venice-JFK-Sea on a Thursday. Several int'l flights arrived at the same time and the lines were very long, but we got through in just under an hour.

Just past customs, take a left and there is a small booth called "Connecting Flight Info " or something similar. They will tell you where your next gate is and will check your luggage thru to your next destination.

We have a similair situation on the West Coast with LAX. Since we have our own Intl Airport, we try to use that as much as possible, to save us the 2 + hr drive each way to LAX, plus an overnight Hotel & food. If we have to use LAX coming home, we have to walk out one terminal walk 2 blocks to the next one , back in & recheck our carry on luggage, a real pain. We won't know until late Fall for our trip to Barcelona for our TA, whether we will be routed thru Phil, JFK or Newark from Calif. Upon disembarking in FT Laud we will use our Am Exp points to fly home.

Archived