Bring you're wine or beer on a cruise ?

Thechamp555

Hello,

we're planning to do our first cruise in december in the carribean and we are wondering which cruises compagny would allow us to bring wine/beer or spirits on board ? I heard that Holland allows their passengers to bring wine, is there's other ones ?

Also, what is the usual price of a beer on a cruise ?

Thanks a lot for you're help ? :)

Germain

Québec

Canada

Yes, HAL permits you to bring aboard all the wine, champagne, soda, and water that you want. Beer and hard liquor are prohibited.

This is one of the most liberal policies you'll find on any line. To get the specifics of what the other lines permit, though, it's best to get it straight from every line's board.

We recently returned from the Noordam TA to Barcelona. I took six bottles of wine on board, including three proseccos. The corkage fee for drinking this wine in the dinning room is $18.00. There is no fee if the wine is consumed in your cabin.

For beer, look for the specials around the ship. I found that the Ocean Bar had a half-price special every afternoon from 4:00 - 5:00 pm. I would go there and obtain two bottles, unopened, for later consumption in my cabin.

Look for other specials. I found Grey Goose vodka martinis in the Pinnacle Bar 5:00-6:00 for $5.50.

We have more cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, but the Noordam and her sister ships are very nice.

Bob :cool:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You really need to ask if your ship has the 2 for 1 cocktail hour -- if there are any specials, etc. We have found the policy differes by ship and even on the same ship -- the policy will differ by a few cruises.

For example -- we love Grey Goose -- but on our Noordam cruise -- no special on it.

Some ships will offer only the house wines, house beer, house brands of alcohol during the 2 for 1 specials.

Not really NEW...but they do offer some drink packages now, depending on the cruise. Each seem to be different. Not too bad if you are big drinkers. It also depends on whether or not you will be on the ship during the day or in port. Check it out on their website, but you'll have to have a log-in under My Celebrity.

Recently on a 2-week Constellation Panama cruise I purchased a Frozen drink package for about $360 canadian. They are offering, for the same price, for one week to Bermuda - a wine by the glass, beer, certain premium alcohol, non-alcoholic drinks, soda and water package and specialty coffee. Not too bad.

We recently returned from the Noordam TA to Barcelona. I took six bottles of wine on board, including three proseccos. The corkage fee for drinking this wine in the dinning room is $18.00. There is no fee if the wine is consumed in your cabin.

For beer, look for the specials around the ship. I found that the Ocean Bar had a half-price special every afternoon from 4:00 - 5:00 pm. I would go there and obtain two bottles, unopened, for later consumption in my cabin.

Look for other specials. I found Grey Goose vodka martinis in the Pinnacle Bar 5:00-6:00 for $5.50.

We have more cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, but the Noordam and her sister ships are very nice.

Good to know, but without trying to start World War III, was there any "good" beer? Like....Bass, Grolsch, Samuel Adams even....? (No Bud, MGL, Coors, etc.--I don't like to waste calories on domestic beer).

Thanks for any info you have on the beer....

Dawn

• 2 weeks later...
Good to know, but without trying to start World War III, was there any "good" beer? Like....Bass, Grolsch, Samuel Adams even....? (No Bud, MGL, Coors, etc.--I don't like to waste calories on domestic beer).

Thanks for any info you have on the beer....

Dawn

I bought Grolsch each time, the 14 oz. bottles with the pop-up lids. They had no Sam Adams (domestic beer, but I understand your point.:p) The selection probably varies from ship to ship. I have been told that the specials vary from ship to ship also.

• 3 months later...

Took my first and last RC cruise in August.

Every suitcase for every customer taken aboard was scanned. All the suitcases containing things not permitted were taken to a room where we had to go and pick upo the cases orselves (a lot of people were there) They even took one girls iron, (no irons in the rooms, have to uses their service) One guy was on his 25th wedding anniversary (and had travelled many times with RC) and his wife had pack 1 bottle of wine, but they still took it.

If you are going with this company and want to take booze, I suggest putting it into a different bottle first...ie Listerine bottle.

Good to know, but without trying to start World War III, was there any "good" beer? Like....Bass, Grolsch, Samuel Adams even....?
Grolsch on all ships, and in AK the Alaskan Amber is good. On the ships with the Mix (Veendam, Ryndam, Rotterdam) you can get draft beer and microbrews.

Everyone is correct! HAL has the most liberal wine policy! We bring a luggage carrier that packs in our checked bag. In Ft. Lauderdale, there is a large wine/liquor store fairly close to the cruise terminal and SE 17th. I think its called Total Wine. They can package your wine safely. We just roll the case on the luggage carrier through the onboard check-in process...easy! We have our wine during "happy hour" in our cabin, but there is an $18 corckage fee if you go to the dining room with the wine. The wine steward will store your wine if you don't drink the entire bottle.

As far as in your luggage, there is a product called RumRunners that are undectable, water tight and stand upright. Just don't put carbonated beverages in them! Packed in the middle of your checked bag, they will still be there when you get to your cabin.

Salud!:)

Took my first and last RC cruise in August.

Every suitcase for every customer taken aboard was scanned. All the suitcases containing things not permitted were taken to a room where we had to go and pick upo the cases orselves (a lot of people were there) They even took one girls iron, (no irons in the rooms, have to uses their service) One guy was on his 25th wedding anniversary (and had travelled many times with RC) and his wife had pack 1 bottle of wine, but they still took it.

If you are going with this company and want to take booze, I suggest putting it into a different bottle first...ie Listerine bottle.

Hey, thanks for making the identical post on the RC and HAL boards!

Archived