Special Dining Needs

bacm

I am new to HAL and considering trying the Nieuw Amersterdam in January. Can anyone fill me in on the procedure for ordering low sodium meals and your experience with it. Thank you.

Got this from HAL's site:

Special dietary needs, such as vegetarian, diabetic or gluten-free meals, are easily accommodated with advance requests. Kosher meals and a Health Conscious Dining option are also available. To arrange special meals, please contact the Ship Services Department at 800-541-1576 at least 60 days prior to departure. As You Wish® dining is currently available on each of our ships.

As a rule those who have traditional dining (fixed seating) have not had a problem requesting special meals as the menu for the following evening is brought to their table and they are able to select what they want for the next evening. But I have read where those who have the open seating have had problems.

Got this from HAL's site:

Special dietary needs, such as vegetarian, diabetic or gluten-free meals, are easily accommodated with advance requests. Kosher meals and a Health Conscious Dining option are also available. To arrange special meals, please contact the Ship Services Department at 800-541-1576 at least 60 days prior to departure. As You Wish® dining is currently available on each of our ships.

As a rule those who have traditional dining (fixed seating) have not had a problem requesting special meals as the menu for the following evening is brought to their table and they are able to select what they want for the next evening. But I have read where those who have the open seating have had problems.

We had open seating the first night, and sat at a large table. Our friend got stuck next to a woman who needed a gluten-free diet and could talk of nothing else through the whole meal. Someone brought her a list of foods on the menu for the next night so that she could pre-order. It was pretty obvious that they were used to special requests. She was a royal PITA about it, though. "Is there wheat in the breading on the veal?" Geez, lady it's BREADING, what do you think???

I don't mean to belittle anyone with special dietary needs. but it could have been done very quietly. (My uncle was a diabetic whose menu had to be strictly controlled, and we ate out with him without making a major fuss, so I know it can be done) She just wanted a lot of attention, so she asked a zillion questions. The crew member who assisted her was very paitent and helped her plan her meal. She asked six times "will they find me so I can get MY meal?" and he assured her that yes, the waiter would be alerted that she had a special meal on order. So it seems that they've got it taken care of for open seating, too.

If you are on open seating and need a special meal that you have pre-ordered, I would suggest mentioning it when you give your cabin number on the way into the dining room. It probably pops up on the restaurant manager's computer screen, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

And to the OP, I don't know how severe your sodium restrictions are, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that HAL does not oversalt food the way many restaurants do. You might be able to "cheat" a bit and still be OK.

Thank you for the info. I am extremely sodium sensitive and try to watch what I eat, especially on cruises. I'm glad to hear that you believe that HAL does not over salt their food, as that will help when I'm not eating in the dining room. I'm glad to hear that they give the menu for the next night, as I enjoy having the same choices as others, just with no salt. Some lines have you order off of their "spa menu", which doesn't give me as much freedom. I will let my travel agent know to request "low sodium" as my dietary need.

On the day of Boarding head direclty to the Main Dining Room. There will be a Matre'D seated at a table either in or near the dining room. Speak directly with him about your Low Sodium Diet requirement. This will help to facilate things the first evening in the dining room and than they will be prepared for you the rest of the cruise.

Remember that it's going to be very hard to eat a Low Sodium diet if you ever go into the Lido Buffet. Most of the food is prepared ahead of time in large quantities. However if you watch it very closely and perhaps stick to the grill station it can be done .

Krazy Kruisers gave excellent advice. You don't mention whether you booked the cruise through HAL or with a TA. If with a TA, he/she should take care of getting the form HAL requires. I cannot eat mushrooms (severe gastro reaction) so each time we book a cruise, our TA has any medical forms faxed to her, then I fill them out, and she faxes them back to the cruise line. This procedure is usually taken care of 2-3 days after we pay the deposit. When we pay the balance, our TA checks to be sure all information, especially medical, is in place.

Never had a problem with any line we've sailed on. When we board, I head to the maitre d'. The minute I say my name, I always get this reply, "Oh, you're the one who can't have mushrooms. We've taken care of it."

Of course, I am always warned that the cruise line can't guarantee any food to be mushroom-free outside the MDR.

Hope this helps. Have a great worry-free trip.

I have a TA and always book through her. My experience is similar in that she takes care of everything. Thanks for mentioning, and I do realize, that there is no such thing as low sodium when not eating in the MDR. I try to be very careful and stick to salads, fruits and vegetables for lunch. If I stray, I do it in extreme moderation and I've never had a problem. I've found all of the lines I've been on to be very helpful. I've never cruised HAL before and was interested in how they handled this topic and thanks to all of you I am much more educated on the procedure and now feel comfortable that my needs will be met. Thank you.

I have a TA and always book through her. My experience is similar in that she takes care of everything. Thanks for mentioning, and I do realize, that there is no such thing as low sodium when not eating in the MDR. I try to be very careful and stick to salads, fruits and vegetables for lunch. If I stray, I do it in extreme moderation and I've never had a problem. I've found all of the lines I've been on to be very helpful. I've never cruised HAL before and was interested in how they handled this topic and thanks to all of you I am much more educated on the procedure and now feel comfortable that my needs will be met. Thank you.

Hal has some pretty cool sandwiches, paninis, etc that are hand made for you in the Lido. (including vegetarian). I'm sure if you checked, you could probably pull off some safe, yummy sandwiches along with your salads. enjoy your cruise

On the day of Boarding head direclty to the Main Dining Room. There will be a Matre'D seated at a table either in or near the dining room. Speak directly with him about your Low Sodium Diet requirement. This will help to facilate things the first evening in the dining room and than they will be prepared for you the rest of the cruise.

Remember that it's going to be very hard to eat a Low Sodium diet if you ever go into the Lido Buffet. Most of the food is prepared ahead of time in large quantities. However if you watch it very closely and perhaps stick to the grill station it can be done .

Check the day's program. On our cruise, he was in a lounge, not at the MDR.

The Lido had nice fresh fruit at breakfast and lots of salad makings at lunch. At breakfast in the Lido, there's a station where they'll make fried eggs, and they don't add any salt to that. I don't know if there's salt in the egg mixture they use for omelets, which is a different station.

It sounds like you've got a lot of experience at avoiding salt, so you should me able to manage what you eat. The Lido certainly has lots of choices.

Enjoy your cruise!

My mom was with me on our 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam, and we followed the advice given by the previous posters.

She had no problem at all. The MDR staff was very accommodating for her dinners, and she was able to carefully select low sodium, no salt added items at the lido for breakfast and lunch.

Archived