Moving my booking to a TA

I booked the Allure inaugural with Royal Caribbean a few months ago. I booked during WOW sale to get the on board credit, planning to maybe I couldn't find any travel agents who offered anything at all, but today I found one who offers free pre-paid gratuities (which for my me amount to about $136 right now) and on board credit (which I was told could not be combined with the WOW sale obc) and I am thinking that this seems like a good deal they told me they would still honor price drops and they would reflect in the form of on board credit or cabin upgrades.

This seems like a very good deal. Is there anything negative about switching to a TA that I should consider before I do it? I am thinking that even if I find a better deal with another TA I can probably switch again anyway.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

We have found the switching a reservation from RC to a travel does nothing to any of the special offers associated with the reservation.

I hope that is the case. However the TA called me after our initial chat just to tell me the WOW obc was not combinable with their obc. WOW obc is still bigger so hopefully they don't just withdraw it manually but give it a chance to let it slip through the system :) (is that even how it works???)

Please be aware that once you switch to a TA, you're not going to be able to switch it again unless that TA agrees to release your booking. And that is not likely to happen because you find another TA offering more incentives.

So before you switch, make sure you understand the TA's policies regarding changes and price drops (will they charge you each time, do they reduce the OBC if the price drops, etc.) so that you can make an informed decision.

As to why they will not combine with the WOW OBC, it's because the WOW OBC reduces their commission, so when they then offer you an OBC of their own, they are giving up more money. If the WOW OBC is more, then decline their OBC, take the pre paid grats and keep the original one. Ask if they will do that.

Please be aware that once you switch to a TA, you're not going to be able to switch it again unless that TA agrees to release your booking. And that is not likely to happen because you find another TA offering more incentives.

So before you switch, make sure you understand the TA's policies regarding changes and price drops (will they charge you each time, do they reduce the OBC if the price drops, etc.) so that you can make an informed decision.

As to why they will not combine with the WOW OBC, it's because the WOW OBC reduces their commission, so when they then offer you an OBC of their own, they are giving up more money. If the WOW OBC is more, then decline their OBC, take the pre paid grats and keep the original one. Ask if they will do that.

She said I could keep my WOW OBC and decline theirs. That is good to know that I can't just switch to a different TA. I was planning on filling out all my information on the RC website before handing over the booking to the TA, and hopefully there are no last minutes reasons to change anything.

The only problem I can think as far as that is booking shows and all that. I don't know if this is because the date is too far out or because the ship is not finished but I can't book shows or restaurants for it yet. I prefer doing these things online in RC's website. I imagine I'd have to do it over the phone with the TA?

She said I could keep my WOW OBC and decline theirs. That is good to know that I can't just switch to a different TA. I was planning on filling out all my information on the RC website before handing over the booking to the TA, and hopefully there are no last minutes reasons to change anything.

The only problem I can think as far as that is booking shows and all that. I don't know if this is because the date is too far out or because the ship is not finished but I can't book shows or restaurants for it yet. I prefer doing these things online in RC's website. I imagine I'd have to do it over the phone with the TA?

If you transfer you reservation to a TA you'll still be able to access the My Cruises section of the RCI website just like you would if you held the reservation. Currently you can make dining reservations, book shore excursions and fill out your info for your Set Sail Pass. I would think booking shows would be included there too......but don't know for sure as we aren't booked on either Oasis or Allure. Usually you can't book dining reservations until around final payment time so it might be the same with the shows.

You'd have to call the TA for a rate change, cabin change and some questions related to your reservation but can still take care of many things yourself through the My Cruises section of RCI's website .

I believe the date is still too far out for booking shows and restaurants.

I just transferred a booking to a travel agent, and still have access to the restaurants page on my reservation. In other words, I believe that you can do that online even if you're booked through a TA.

I originally booked the Oasis onboard the Mariner last summer and received the $100 OBC for doing so. Just prior to final payment being due (~ 2 weeks ahead), I switched to a TA where I got a significant amount of OBC. My original $100 OBD still was valid in addition to what the TA was offering. After the transfer I was also able to access my reservation on the RCCL's website to books the shows, dining options etc...

I personally think it's worth making the switch if you get additional OBC.

I always book through a TA, and yes you have access to all the online services except anything that has to do with money. You will not be able to see any of this, so ask your TA to send a new invoice to you every time there is a change (price drop, obc, cabin change, etc.).

Shore excursions, dining arrangement, etc. usually aren't available until 60 days before sailing, and shore excursions sometimes aren't available until 30 days before.

One other thing is that when you transfer your booking you can no longer call RCI and ask questions concerning the booking you have to go through the Travel Agent. If you want to change cabins you have to use the TA, etc. I always wait until right before my final payment to switch.

One other thing is that when you transfer your booking you can no longer call RCI and ask questions concerning the booking you have to go through the Travel Agent. If you want to change cabins you have to use the TA, etc. I always wait until right before my final payment to switch.

As an RCCL stockholder, how is this practice in the best interest of the cruiseline? For RCCL to spend the time and resources to facilitate the initial booking and subsequent issues/changes and then have to fork over 15% in commissions at final payment to simply split between the TA and the passenger seems to be detremental to their bottom line?

I always get a kick out of folks who turn over their reservation to a TA for obc and whatnot. You can get all of that yourself if you know what you are doing - you are paying these guys to do NOTHING. You created the booking, you serviced it, you set everything up and now you are allowing them to take between 10-22% and pocket it.

I'd rather that stay with the cl since they did all of the work. I don't pay people for a job they didn't do.

I always get a kick out of folks who turn over their reservation to a TA for obc and whatnot. You can get all of that yourself if you know what you are doing - you are paying these guys to do NOTHING. You created the booking, you serviced it, you set everything up and now you are allowing them to take between 10-22% and pocket it.

I'd rather that stay with the cl since they did all of the work. I don't pay people for a job they didn't do.

"You" are not paying them anything. They are paid by the cruiseline. Your price is exactly the same whether you book with the cruiseline or book with a TA. The cruiseline is not going to rebate you back the commission they would otherwise pay a TA if you use them and don't transfer.

When you transfer to a TA just before final, you're doing it in order to get some incentive. There is a benefit to the cruiser to move; otherwise people wouldn't do it. Others use a TA because they want to let someone else handle the decisions and worry about the issues that arise. Any incentives are a bonus.

"You" are not paying them anything. They are paid by the cruiseline. Your price is exactly the same whether you book with the cruiseline or book with a TA. The cruiseline is not going to rebate you back the commission they would otherwise pay a TA if you use them and don't transfer.

When you transfer to a TA just before final, you're doing it in order to get some incentive. There is a benefit to the cruiser to move; otherwise people wouldn't do it. Others use a TA because they want to let someone else handle the decisions and worry about the issues that arise. Any incentives are a bonus.

Actually, yes *I* am paying them. It is my money, right? Therefore I am paying them. Via RCI, yes, but still me.

You can get incentives yourself, without someone getting paid for not working. Just saying...

You can get incentives yourself...

How would you do that? Why would the cruise line offer a guest extra incentives when they have already secured the booking :confused:

On the other hand, the TA would be getting a commission of 10% or whatever, and would be prepared to give a proportion of that to the customer to pursuade them to transfer the booking.

I have no idea why RCI allow the booking to be transferred like this, I can only imagine it is to promote good relationships with TAs?

This post is inaccurate. You will get incentives when you transfer (or book) your reservation if you choose a TA who is willing to kick back some of the commission. There is no other way to secure those incentives.

RCI is willing to discount (by paying a commission) your cruise if it is associated with a TA. If you don't use a TA you are simply not taking advantage of that discount.

You will not get any incentives from RCI on your own. The incentives that travel agents offer comes out of their commission. Also I know someone will correct me if my memory fails me but wasn't the WOW sale after the May 17 price drop brouhaha? So you will only have price drops honored before final payment or if you are in final payment you will have 48 hours to find a better price. This is just a thought on my part that the reason your obc wouldn't be combinable with theirs is because their obc comes from a group reservation amenity and WOW is not combinable with groups.

OK, so I'll ask again; what is the benefit to the cruiseline to do all the work and then pay commission at the last minute?

Can someone answer a general TA question for me? I am about to book a RCI cruise and was just going to do it directly. However, it sounds like if I would get some OBC through a TA I might as well do that. The question is, with a TA do you also have a better chance at being credited if there is a price drop? I know RCI has a new policy now where you will not receive credit for a price drop unless it happens within 48 hrs of booking. But is that policy different for bookings through a TA? Thanks!

P.S. if this is all the case, then why would people choose not to book through a TA? What am I missing?

How would you do that? Why would the cruise line offer a guest extra incentives when they have already secured the booking :confused:

On the other hand, the TA would be getting a commission of 10% or whatever, and would be prepared to give a proportion of that to the customer to pursuade them to transfer the booking.

I have no idea why RCI allow the booking to be transferred like this, I can only imagine it is to promote good relationships with TAs?

This post is inaccurate. You will get incentives when you transfer (or book) your reservation if you choose a TA who is willing to kick back some of the commission. There is no other way to secure those incentives.

RCI is willing to discount (by paying a commission) your cruise if it is associated with a TA. If you don't use a TA you are simply not taking advantage of that discount.

You will not get any incentives from RCI on your own. The incentives that travel agents offer comes out of their commission. Also I know someone will correct me if my memory fails me but wasn't the WOW sale after the May 17 price drop brouhaha? So you will only have price drops honored before final payment or if you are in final payment you will have 48 hours to find a better price. This is just a thought on my part that the reason your obc wouldn't be combinable with theirs is because their obc comes from a group reservation amenity and WOW is not combinable with groups.

Oh...okay. So we have some TAs on the board then? That is cute, because I can assure you that if you know what you are doing, you can get obc out of RCI, too. And, you wont be paying someone to do nothing.

If you originally book with a TA, fine. They should get paid for the job they do. My issue is with xfering it right before final. It is ridiculous to pay someone for NOT booking and servicing your cruise. Ridiculous.

And I agree, for all you stockholders out there - how is this beneficial to YOU? RCI incurs the expense of handling the cruise, servicing it, etc - and yet right before final, you transfer to an agency, forcing RCI to pay out commission to someone who has done nothing? Bad business, folks.

Oh...okay. So we have some TAs on the board then? That is cute, because I can assure you that if you know what you are doing, you can get obc out of RCI, too. And, you wont be paying someone to do nothing.

If you originally book with a TA, fine. They should get paid for the job they do. My issue is with xfering it right before final. It is ridiculous to pay someone for NOT booking and servicing your cruise. Ridiculous.

And I agree, for all you stockholders out there - how is this beneficial to YOU? RCI incurs the expense of handling the cruise, servicing it, etc - and yet right before final, you transfer to an agency, forcing RCI to pay out commission to someone who has done nothing? Bad business, folks.

Yes, you can get OBC from RCI. But booking with (or transferring to) an agent does not preclude you from taking advantage of RCI's offers. Only in very limited situations (patseacruiser mentions one) will you not be able to take advantage of both offers.

On my cruise, we are getting $100/pp OBC from RCI and free gratuities from our TA.

Can someone answer a general TA question for me? I am about to book a RCI cruise and was just going to do it directly. However, it sounds like if I would get some OBC through a TA I might as well do that. The question is, with a TA do you also have a better chance at being credited if there is a price drop? I know RCI has a new policy now where you will not receive credit for a price drop unless it happens within 48 hrs of booking. But is that policy different for bookings through a TA? Thanks!

P.S. if this is all the case, then why would people choose not to book through a TA? What am I missing?

Some clarifications:

If you shop around with different TA's you will find that some give obc or prepaid gratuities to bring in business. You should also ask if they charge for changes or cancellations BEFORE final payment date. The best TA would be one that gives you an obc/gratuities and doesn't charge for changes, etc.

RCCL does continue to honor price drops. The 5/17/10 policy change only affects price drops that occur AFTER final payment date. Prior to final payment you can get a credit on your final price, or an obc. You cannot get either after final payment date, BUT you can receive an upgrade to a better cabin at the same price you paid if there is one available. The 48 hour deal is the only time you can actually receive a refund: if you find a lower price within 48hours of booking.

Most people choose to book with a TA because the TA does all the work for you. For instance, I find my cruises and my TA does all the rest. If I find a price drop, she has the change done within 24 hours. Also, she has at times argued with RCCL about booking issues and got me a better deal. Once when I transferred an onboard booking to another cruise they didn't want to keep my reduced deposit and obc, and she convinced them they had to do so.

OK, so I'll ask again; what is the benefit to the cruiseline to do all the work and then pay commission at the last minute?

It's not beneficial to their bottom line and it's not the reason that the ability to transfer is in place. The original reason was in case you couldn't get your agent and you saw a particular deal or a particular cabin you really wanted. Maybe it was the middle of the night, maybe your agent was unavailable. Whatever the reason RCCL doesn't want to cut out the agent but they do want you to book. So book now and transfer to your agent when you reach them. It was never designed so that an individual could book a year in advance and then transfer to an agency just before final payment for a perk.

Carnival instituted a policy not too long ago where you can transfer to an agency only within 30 days of the initial booking. I think that's actually a good policy and one that IMHO I see RCCL adopting in the near future.

Archived