Mariner room for 4 - Promenade or Sm. Balcony?

Hello!!

We are anxious to book our cruise on the Mariner for

August and I would love some help!

We did the same cruise last summer and had connecting interior rooms...enjoyed the space a lot (it was nice for the kids to have their "own" room) - but this time we would love a view!!

They have a special on connecting Promenade rooms which is tempting for view and price. And there is also a "D 1" balcony room that has the two twins plus a queen sofa sleeper for a slightly higher price. We would LOVE a balcony...but would this be to cramped for 2 adults and 2 10-yr-olds?

What do you recommend? Anything I missed that would be better (and comparable in price??)

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has to offer...

Thanks so much!!

:):)

That balcony room will be pretty crowded with the twins on the pull out. We had four in a cabin once with the kids on pullmans up above, and it was REALLY crowded in there!.

The connecting PR cabins sound great, and the view into the Promendade will be nice.

Is there anyway you can get an ocean view with an inside across the hall?

Don't forget that you get the obc for booking this month, so that can be factored into your costs, too. You'll get an obc for each cabin, so booking two gets you more money in obc.

The balcony room with 4 people is doable, but it will be pretty tight. We did the Mariner last summer with 2 adults and 2 small kids (4&2) in a D balcony and we managed fine, but when that sofa bed is out there is nowhere to move. The kids were small enough that they were happy sitting on the bed watching TV while we got ready inthe morning. Other than that, the small amount of time that you are in the room we didn't feel too cramped.

BTW, I think the OBC that you get for booking this month is for booking starting in May 2011. I don't think you will get anything for this August.

I would go for 2 rooms personally as it allows you and your significant other privacy. After all, it is your vacation, too! Our 3 sons have shared a balcony cabin many times and it is crowded with 3 in there with the pullman bed and the 2 twins. From everything I have read on these boards, the sleeper sofas are not comfortable at all and would be tight even for 2 10 year olds. Also, when they are opened up, there is barely any room to get around them. Would you be willing to book a balcony for the adults and get a promenade or inside accross the hall for your children? That way, you get the view and privacy as well as the extra space and bathroom.

BTW, I think the OBC that you get for booking this month is for booking starting in May 2011. I don't think you will get anything for this August.

Whoops!! I thought it was for August 2011. My bad.

These are most likely gone at this point for August - if so you can look at this option for a future cruise.

On the Mariner there are 2 D1 cabins that connect to an inside on Deck 9. They are 9676 connecting to inside 9681 and 9376 connecting to inside 9381. This would be a good option for those wanting a balcony but an inside connecting for the kids.

Will your twins be able to sleep together on a smallish bed - about the size of one full-sized bed? If so, then take the D balcony! My girls are now 19 and 17, but we cruised in D-sized balconies and they shared the sofa bed when they were 10 and 8 and again when they were 11 and 9 before we started booking two cabins. It was fine. Some nights if we were all crowding the bathroom in order to get ready for dinner, my husband would shower in the gym area.

Privacy wasn't really a priority for my husband and myself on a family vacation. And, although we book our kids into their own room across the hall now, we didn't do it when they were that young (they were 14 and 12 when we started that).

I'd go for the 4 in the balcony... they're still 'small', once they get bigger, you might not get the opportunity to get one (cuz of $$$$). We've done it before with our 2 boys, it's a little tight, but you only sleep in the room!

Hello!!

We are anxious to book our cruise on the Mariner for

August and I would love some help!

We did the same cruise last summer and had connecting interior rooms...enjoyed the space a lot (it was nice for the kids to have their "own" room) - but this time we would love a view!!

They have a special on connecting Promenade rooms which is tempting for view and price. And there is also a "D 1" balcony room that has the two twins plus a queen sofa sleeper for a slightly higher price. We would LOVE a balcony...but would this be to cramped for 2 adults and 2 10-yr-olds?

What do you recommend? Anything I missed that would be better (and comparable in price??)

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has to offer...

Thanks so much!!

I have to ask...where did you find a special on connecting Promenade rooms? I can't find any special pricing. Thanks!

Our first cruise was 4 of us in one inside room. Huge mistake. It was way too crowded and was more noticable in the mornings when it came down to showers and using the restroom. Now we either do adjoing rooms when possible or at least next door or across. My current cruise is one balcony cabin (D1) and across from us are my kids in an interior room.

Thank you all so much for your responses!!

I can't say I'm any less confused ;), but I sure do feel more informed!!

The promenade "special" I mentioned was quoted to me by RCCL as a "special California resident rate for select cruise dates". Most of the quotes came out cheaper for the 2 connecting PR rooms than one interior quad!! Very tempting. I am leaning toward that, but DH really wants that balcony!!

Gotta decide today...thanks for all the help!!

Jennifer

Archived