Storing luggage in Stockholm

Pearl64

We will be disembarking the Regatta from Vartahamnen in September early in the morning. We are planning on doing some touring of Gamla Stan and seeing the changing of the guard before we head to Arlanda for our early evening flight to Oslo. We need someplace convenient to store our luggage while we tour for a few hours. Where can we do that? Has anyone else done this before heading to the airport?

Thanks.

Pearl

We will be disembarking the Regatta from Vartahamnen in September early in the morning. We are planning on doing some touring of Gamla Stan and seeing the changing of the guard before we head to Arlanda for our early evening flight to Oslo. We need someplace convenient to store our luggage while we tour for a few hours. Where can we do that? Has anyone else done this before heading to the airport?

Thanks.

Pearl

Since the car that collects you from the ship has to be big enough for both you and your bags, why not just leave the luggage in the trunk while you tour?

Think about how much time will you will waste, arranging for two sets of cabs, and storing the luggage.

Just make sure that you let the driver know ahead of time.

There is no car collecting us at the ship. Where would we get this car? Our thought was just to use public transportation to get us where we need to get. We are talking about 6 hours worth. Our experience has been to use public transportation while in larger cities. The cost for about 6 hours of a car would be very expensive. Perhaps I am being naive but I have read that folks have stored luggage for a few hours after disembarking a cruise. I guess we will just have to drag the luggage along with us as there seems to be no other options.

Thanks for your help.

Pearl

There is no car collecting us at the ship. Where would we get this car? Our thought was just to use public transportation to get us where we need to get. We are talking about 6 hours worth. Our experience has been to use public transportation while in larger cities. The cost for about 6 hours of a car would be very expensive. Perhaps I am being naive but I have read that folks have stored luggage for a few hours after disembarking a cruise. I guess we will just have to drag the luggage along with us as there seems to be no other options.

Thanks for your help.

Pearl

Getting a car and driver is more expensive than, say the HoHo, but you will have to leave the cruise port somehow and you have to get to the airport somehow.

That, in combination with the luggage issue makes getting a private car much more attractive, at least to us. Then again, we travel with far too much luggage to ever drag it with us. :eek:

Some of the railroad stations in Stockholm still have storage lockers, but if you do that , you will have to start mucking about with Swedish coins.

All in all, I'd suggest that you look into a half day tour such as the ones offered here:

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/Stockholm-Shore-Excursions-s/158.htm

If you get a second couple to share the tour with you, it runs to less than a hundred dollars a head.

Subtract your transfer costs from that, and then add in the convenience. ;)

We flew into Stockholm for a cruise, took the express train from the airport DT, stored our luggage in a locker at the RR station, went sightseeing for the day, and then took a cab to the ship. I'd think you could do the same thing in reverse.

We flew into Stockholm for a cruise, took the express train from the airport DT, stored our luggage in a locker at the RR station, went sightseeing for the day, and then took a cab to the ship. I'd think you could do the same thing in reverse.

I agree that this is the best (most economical) choice - also suggested by Lynn. Should be quite easy as the station is a short walk from Gamla Stan .

Note - while the changing of the guard is spectacular, it is very time consuming. You have to get there early to get a reasonably good place to see things; the ceremony seems endless and if time is limited, you may choose to do others things. My suggestion is to tour the City Hall -not just any city hall but home to the Nobel prize banquet. It is between the station & Gamla Stan. See the changing of the guard, just don't linger.

JMO

Thanks.

Pearl

We left our luggage at central station [coins required] and later took the arlanda exress to the airport.You can get your express tickets early [concessions for seniors] and maybe get help with coins at the kiosk.

Ian

Thanks, Ian. That was what I had hoped we could do. Where did you get the express tickets ahead of time? One of us qualifies for the concession rate and one does not. Thanks.

Pearl

Thanks, Ian. That was what I had hoped we could do. Where did you get the express tickets ahead of time? One of us qualifies for the concession rate and one does not. Thanks.

Pearl

Pearl,

Check out the website for Arlanda Express:

http://www.arlandaexpress.com/textpage.aspx?page=71

During part of June, July & August 2 people travel for 280 SEK, Otherwise it is 240 for adults and 120 for seniors (pensioners).

The web site has all the info you need.

BTW, you can use CC to buy the tickets - no need to buy them ahead of time. It takes just a few minutes to get them at the station - check the schedules and arrive 10 - 15 minutes early.

Thank you Paulchili,

I had found that link before and have it bookmarked. Unfortunately, we will need to use the Arlanda express in September. I had seen the discount on the website. It is good to know that we do not need to buy the tickets ahead of time.

Again, thanks.

Pearl

Archived