Bernard's Tour in St Maarten...is it a good tour

2thesea

I would like this info also. Like, what time did you leave Maho and how long did it take you to get back to port? We have a private tour booked in December.

Dawnrae

ditto, I've hesitated on pulling the trigger on booking our private tour in january because of the traffic, maho is one of the only stops we want to make, I don't want to spend the day stressed about time/traffic

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

We will be touring with Bernard in January and this will be our 5th private with him. I think 5th:o We do different things every time but always request Maho in the afternoon. Love it there!

Never have we ever stressed about being back to the ship. Bernard is excellent about watching the time and is well aware of traffic. We have always made it back in plenty of time and with time to spare.

I think this time we miss the ship on purpose so we can stay on St Martin:p

Seriously though that is why we are repeat customers. Awesome tour, awesome knowledge and history of the Island. Hospitality above and beyond. Safe, very safe as most of the time it is my daughter and I alone. I would never attempt a rental and worry about driving and watching the clock.

We can't wait to get back!!! Hope this helps.

Can anyone who has recently been on this tour ease my mind about the traffic issues and getting back to the ship on time? It sounds like we will be in very good hands with Bernard, and we don't have to board until 5:30, I just tend to be a nervous nelly and don't want to come even remotely close to being a pier runner.

I was on Bernard's tour Thursday November 3. I too was concerned about the traffic issues due to road construction and if it would affect the stop at Maho Beach, as I most wanted to see a big plane landing.

I expressed these concerns in an email with Bernard. He answered them routinely, guess he gets many of them, so I booked the tour.

We did get to Maho about 1:30 pm and stayed for abut 40 minutes. Saw a few small planes and one large one land. I asked the driver about the return to Phillipsburg and the traffic and he assured me, it would not be an issue. We did encounter traffic but we arrived in downtown Philipsburg about 3pm. It did cut into the time I had planned on shopping but last call was 4:30pm for the ship.

The other van that was in our group left Maho Beach later than us and enciountered more traffic but they too made it back in time.

Aside from a rocky start, did not board the van until 9:22 am and then waited for "alleged" other passengers and watching the first van take off

10 minutes before we finally departed and a puzzling finish, when the driver said he had never heard of Rima's, the tour was well worth the price and rewarding.

Stayed at Orient for 90 minutes and the nude beach/wearing a swimsuit was not an issue. Glad to have visited Marigot even if just for a few minutes. Made a few other stops that were picturesque and entertaining.

Just wish I had more shopping time in Philipsburg, but now I have a reason to go back next year!:D

I was on Bernard's tour Thursday November 3. I too was concerned about the traffic issues due to road construction and if it would affect the stop at Maho Beach, as I most wanted to see a big plane landing.

I expressed these concerns in an email with Bernard. He answered them routinely, guess he gets many of them, so I booked the tour.

We did get to Maho about 1:30 pm and stayed for abut 40 minutes. Saw a few small planes and one large one land. I asked the driver about the return to Phillipsburg and the traffic and he assured me, it would not be an issue. We did encounter traffic but we arrived in downtown Philipsburg about 3pm. It did cut into the time I had planned on shopping but last call was 4:30pm for the ship.

The other van that was in our group left Maho Beach later than us and enciountered more traffic but they too made it back in time.

Aside from a rocky start, did not board the van until 9:22 am and then waited for "alleged" other passengers and watching the first van take off

10 minutes before we finally departed and a puzzling finish, when the driver said he had never heard of Rima's, the tour was well worth the price and rewarding.

Stayed at Orient for 90 minutes and the nude beach/wearing a swimsuit was not an issue. Glad to have visited Marigot even if just for a few minutes. Made a few other stops that were picturesque and entertaining.

Just wish I had more shopping time in Philipsburg, but now I have a reason to go back next year!:D

thanks so much for this, we took that same tour last year and loved it but there was no traffic situation then, feeling much better about booking our private tour now -thanks again for easing my worried mind :)

Thank you for posting this information. Our tour is coming up in December and I was also concerned about traffic issues. Looks like we will be in good hands.

Dawnrae

We toured with Bernards this past Wednesday (11/9/11) and had a blast. Dave was our tour guide and he was fabulous!

As soon as 10 folks showed up we were put in a van and headed out. We stopped and fed/held iguanas...watched as a local caught sea life and let us hold it (including a sea urchin he "processed" for some of the men who wanted to try "St Maarten viagara...the urchin eggs. UCK!)...short visit to Orient (nude vs bathing suits wasn't a problem)...40ish mins at Marigot...40ish mins at Maho and then headed back.

The only traffic we really experienced was all headed over the hills to where we were just leaving; so thankfully, no problem for us. Brief stop/starts over a 20-30 minute stretch; but nothing to compare to what we experience in Nashville so hardly noticed it! We arrived back in plenty of time; full of local lore, experiences, memories & rum! (he carries a cooler full of colas/beer/rum punch). Bernard and his guides know what is what and will have you back in plenty of time. it was raining when we arrived back(plus this was our 2nd stop in St. T this year) so we headed back to the ship; but others stayed and shopped, ate, drank, whatever.

I can't think of a single complaint about our tour and would book again. I was very leery about booking independent after reading about traffic/waving good bye to the ship because they don't wait on independent tour folks/etc...but it was easy/quick/uncrowded/interesting/CHEAP & so much fun...a wonderful overview of St. Thomas.

If you book with Bernard, have fun! IF you book and get Dave...tell him Karen from Tennessee (his co-pilot/bar tender) says "hello"!:cool:

We toured with Bernards this past Wednesday (11/9/11) and had a blast. Dave was our tour guide and he was fabulous!

As soon as 10 folks showed up we were put in a van and headed out. We stopped and fed/held iguanas...watched as a local caught sea life and let us hold it (including a sea urchin he "processed" for some of the men who wanted to try "St Maarten viagara...the urchin eggs. UCK!)...short visit to Orient (nude vs bathing suits wasn't a problem)...40ish mins at Marigot...40ish mins at Maho and then headed back.

The only traffic we really experienced was all headed over the hills to where we were just leaving; so thankfully, no problem for us. Brief stop/starts over a 20-30 minute stretch; but nothing to compare to what we experience in Nashville so hardly noticed it! We arrived back in plenty of time; full of local lore, experiences, memories & rum! (he carries a cooler full of colas/beer/rum punch). Bernard and his guides know what is what and will have you back in plenty of time. it was raining when we arrived back(plus this was our 2nd stop in St. T this year) so we headed back to the ship; but others stayed and shopped, ate, drank, whatever.

I can't think of a single complaint about our tour and would book again. I was very leery about booking independent after reading about traffic/waving good bye to the ship because they don't wait on independent tour folks/etc...but it was easy/quick/uncrowded/interesting/CHEAP & so much fun...a wonderful overview of St. Thomas.

If you book with Bernard, have fun! IF you book and get Dave...tell him Karen from Tennessee (his co-pilot/bar tender) says "hello"!:cool:

Thanks Karen! This sounds great. Much more relaxed about our upcoming tour.

Dawnrae

he hasn't responded to my email either, I'm going to try calling him back on the number he called me from last week, will update when I get through

Weird. I emailed him about my concerns about the traffic and heard back from him in about 36 hours.

(FYI- he said they have been dealing with the traffic/construction for 4 months and have yet to have anyone miss thier ship) :D

We had an email from him within 24 hours. NO deposit. Pay in full ($40 each) upon checking in.

Bernard does require a $50.00 deposit if you're doing a "private tour" (we were a family of 6 adults)..I did this by credit card over the phone when he called to confirm...Loved the tour we had with him this past March...:)

Heard back from Bernard. Took about 2 days. Everything is confirmed for a group tour. Says to pay the $40 at beginning of tour. Dec. 8/11 we will be taking it. Keep our fingers crossed about traffic and will keep people posted on how it goes.

Heard back from Bernard. Took about 2 days. Everything is confirmed for a group tour. Says to pay the $40 at beginning of tour. Dec. 8/11 we will be taking it. Keep our fingers crossed about traffic and will keep people posted on how it goes.

Enjoy! And if you get Dave, please tell him HI from Karen in TN.

If he asks who wants to be his co pilot, take him up on it. The front seat view (and a/c) are very good. It's also easier to squeeze questions in & take pictures. Being his "bar tender" only means handing drinks back to the back.

Enjoy. Can't wait to hear how you loved it!

What ship are you on? What kind of tour did you set up? We will be on the Westerdam and will be in St. Martin on Dec. 8, 2011.

Carol

2011 – Westerdam HAL – Dec. – E. Caribbean

2011 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL – Oct. – Mediterranean

2011- Carnival Miracle – May – Eastern Caribbean

2010 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL - Dec.- W. Caribbean

2010 – Celebrity Summit – Sept. - Bermuda

2010 – Serenade of the Seas - March - S. Caribbean

2009 – Crown Princess – W. Caribbean

2009 – Golden Princess - Alaska - Inside Passage

2009 – Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit

2008 – Caribbean Princess - New Eng. & Canada

2008 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2007 – Explorer of the Seas - W. Caribbean

2006 – Golden Princess - S. Caribbean

2004 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2002 – Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2002 – Dawn Princess - S. Caribbean

2000 – Carnival Inspiration - S. Caribbean

1999 – Carnival Paradise - W. Caribbean

1996 – Majesty (private) - Key West

1989 – Sovereign of the Seas - E. Caribbean

Will be on Freedom of the Sea. Taking a group tour, which means will be with other person we do not know., Says on their web site and in confirmation e-mail that we will leave/must meet at 9:00 a.m. island time sharp. Also will be doing this:

* Pickup at the cruise pier

* 9:00 am to 10:00 am sightseeing including stop at the French and Dutch border

* Brief stop at Oyster Pond over looking the island of St Barths

* Swim at Orient Beach for up to two hours, as time allows.

* Marigot - open market (French Capital).

* Sunset Beach bar ( Maho Beach ) 40 minutes where you can see the planes land right over your head.

* Cayhill overlooking Simpson Bay marina.

* Great Bay overlooking Phillipsburg and harbor.

* Return to Philipsburg will be between 1:30 and 2:00, depending on factors.

This is a great thread, very helpful and I think we will be doing the group ($40pp) tour. According to his website, you will be dropped off by the pier around 1:30pm - 2pm, obviously depending on the traffic situation.

My question is, our ship doesn't leave until 6pm. So, that leaves approximately 4 hours to do something else. So, what have people done after the tour was finished?

I went ahead and booked today with Bernard. We were going to go to Maho on our own but with the traffic issues we decided to leave it to an expert and quit worrying.

...we are on the same cruise as you...I kept thinking about getting back to the ship on time, but really wanted to stop at maho...so last week we decided to book this tour too!

Melanie

This is a great thread, very helpful and I think we will be doing the group ($40pp) tour. According to his website, you will be dropped off by the pier around 1:30pm - 2pm, obviously depending on the traffic situation.

My question is, our ship doesn't leave until 6pm. So, that leaves approximately 4 hours to do something else. So, what have people done after the tour was finished?

We went with Bernard the weekend time changed. Seems like it was getting dark and it was also kinda rainy...and we'd been enjoying Dave's cooler full of free libations...so we sauntered on back to the ship; showered and sat on the balcony watching the other ships sail away.

There were shops on the dock; but I honestly didn't pay any attention to if they were open or not as we'd done the shopping in Jan when we were there. There were some fun little places with drinks, etc that a lot of folks were sitting at enjoying cheap drinks.

I know that isn't much help; but it's all I have! I don't feel like we had 4 hours between drop off and the 5:30 boarding time.

You will enjoy the tour!

Archived