Is there an area on the pool deck where I can put a blow up pool?

Most but not all.

Infants belong in their cribs at home.

It's not the kids...it's the parents that are annoying.;)

Oh, that's very silly. Infants need to experience and be exposed to new things. Some people are poor parents, yes, but how can you tell poor parenting from an otherwise well-behaved child simply having a bad day? Please have a little more tolerance for those who are still growing :)

There is no nursery for babies. I hope my 18 month old runs into you one day on a ship. Obviously you just want to be left alone and have a nice drink without children. Won't happen on NCL, NCL is a family oriented cruiseline... why don't you try Holland America.

Where did you get the idea that Holland America isn't family oriented? :confused:

Where did you get the idea that Holland America isn't family oriented? :confused:

Sorry, but also NCL isn't only family oriented. They, like all the mass market lines, market to a wide variety of passengers, including families with children.

I will say that comments like "leave the babies/children in the nursery/at home" are rude and uncalled for. As long as parents take care of their children and are mindful of other passengers (e.g., not allowing a toddler to scream for 30 minutes in the dining room or at a show), why shouldn't they enjoy a cruise together as a family?

beachchick

Thank you to the posters for your suggestions on how I can have a happy 10-month splashing in his own pool with a swim diaper on while his 10 year-old sibling is swimming.

I can't believe how some people on this site are annoyed with some questions that are asked and just have to post their rude remarks. If you don't like the question that was posted ignore it and move on to another subject where the person posting the question can gain some good advice.

This is the second time that I posted a question that annoyed some people.

Even if I didn't have kids, I would rather see a happy baby splashing around in a small pool between some deck chairs or in a corner somewhere than a some adults who had a little too much to drink.

To the poster that told me that a baby should be in the nursery, or should be in their crib -- what is your profession -- I hope it's not a teacher. How can a baby in a little pool with two inches of water ruin another person's cruise?

The only thing that might ruin another persons cruise poolside is if a parent left their infant or not-potty trained toddler strapped in a stroller for 30 minutes or more screaming at the top of their lungs because they wanted to touch the water in the pools and they can't. Tantrums can start at a very early age.

I posted this question because I'm not one of those adults that plans on breaking the rules, but I would love for my 10-month nephew to enjoy himself also. He loves the water and can't go in the pools.

Since the summer cruises are usually filled with families and probably a lot of babies wouldn't it be nice to see them splashing around than sitting in a stroller screaming because their sibling is in a pool and they can't do it.

Most cruiselines don't have nurseries for the under 2 crowd so having a tiny pool on deck is the only way some families can enjoy some pool time together.

Until cruiselines like NCL remodel their ships and have a pool or splash area for non-potty trained kids you will see questions like this. Parents just want to see their infants enjoy their cruise experience also, just the way I do.

I too can't believe some of the rude comments :( I have a 16 and 18 year old and now also have a 9 week old. We have planned a cruise for when he will be almost 11 months old and we will have family with us to help so that we can have alone time as well. I am doing a lot of research in traveling with an infant as I never got to do so when my older children were small and have already found some great information. I can't get over how many folks post "leave em' at home" though. :mad: Really?!?!!??!!? Am I supposed to crawl under a rock now because I had a child and wait until he is older to treat myself to a vacation again? I don't want to be away from my child so we will bring him. I can assure you that I will do everything possible to make my child behave and if he isn't I will remove him from the situation. Just to make my point I had my husband watch our baby while I attended my older son's High school graduation a few weeks ago so that I wouldn't take a chance in disrupting someone else's experience.

So to all of you that have offered your HELPFUL advice, I sincerely appreciate it!! :)

Sadly, the internet gives a voice to any idiot with a computer and a high speed connection. You and your 10 month old have a GREAT time on your cruise. As far as I'm concerned, you can setup your pool anywhere you want.

Really :) I am sure people are more annoyed with all the folks who try to hold deck chairs for hours than by a sweet baby splashing in a blow up pool. ha.

Sadly, the internet gives a voice to any idiot with a computer and a high speed connection. You and your 10 month old have a GREAT time on your cruise. As far as I'm concerned, you can setup your pool anywhere you want.

we are going on the Dawn and have our 1year old- i love the idea of bringing an inflatable pool!! :) thanks for the info people gave and we will ignor the rude comment from that person for sure. My one year old is defintely more mature and caring than that person. What ship are you going on??:)

I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread disintegrated into name calling and rudeness. This subject has been hashed and rehashed so many times it's tiring. So, at the risk of being flamed into eternity, here's my two cent's worth:

When you choose to have children you sacrifice some of the freedoms that you had when you were childless. Children do not belong everywhere; they just don't have the ability to "behave" when they are small. When I had my children, I never saw the inside of any restaurant other than Chuck E Cheese and McDonalds. But that was ok with me - I knew going in to parenthood that it would be this way. My husband and I couldn't afford to cruise then, but if we could it would have either been without the kids or when they were a little older and could be in the children's program.

Flash forward to today. Parents think that their little darlings are welcome anywhere they want to take them, and there's nothing that anyone can say or do to convince them otherwise. While cruising I have sat through shows with wailing and fussing children, have had dinner at Cagney's with the unmistakable aroma of "poo" wafting from the next table, and have crunched my way through thrown cheerios from a stroller at the white hot party. I have seen diapers in the pool while dad is happily drinking beer in the hot tub.

Should families not cruise with their children? Of course they can. But please, know their limitations. Most young children cannot sit through the experience that is Cagney's. If you know they can't, please don't bring them - eat at the buffet or the main dining room or order room service. If they haven't napped all day, please don't try to take them into a show in the theatre when you know they are going to be tired and cranky. Blow up pool? Great idea, but please put it at the child's pool area, not the adult pool. The whte hot party? Definitely not a place for children or strollers. I guess what I am trying to say is, be the parent and put your child's needs first.

Please also be aware that many people who cruise are adults with no children and are looking for a nice adult getaway. We work with children or around children all year and are looking for a respite from the commotion. We are not awful people and we are not monsters who hate kids. We will smile when your children march around the pool dressed like pirates; we will grin when we see your family posed in the atrium having your pictures taken. WE will not be amused when your child is fussing in a specialty restaurant and you choose to ignore it.

It is our vacation too; one we have saved up for all year. Your needs and wants should not trump ours. All we are asking is that you show us some respect. We will do the same for you.

While I applaud wanting to have your 10 month old enjoy as much of the vacation as everyone does, personally if it was me I would look at both sides of the issue here. I wouldn't in our family take a 10 month old on a cruise, as most likely there would be too many distractions for either myself or wife to enjoy and I wouldn't want to distract others enjoyable time. Now maybe I'm the only one that thinks like this, but I also don't believe that a cruise is someplace to take a 10 month either. I am not going to tell you what you should or should not do, that's up to you and whatever you decide enjoy the time, but please, at least try to see all sides of this issue. There are many people other than you that are going to be on that cruise.

Can't lump the parents with young children all into one group. I haven't had a small child in a long time and essentially I am "starting over" and yes over the years I have seen some very bad behaviour from children and many parents who don't think they need to do anything about it. But I have also seen many who are well behaved and if they aren't the parents fix it quickly. I personally care very much about not disrupting others experience as mentioned in my previous post and will do what I can to remove my child if he starts to act up. But suggesting we shouldn't go places with our child is kinda rude. My husband and I took our 9 week old to a nice italian restaurant last night and we got some rude looks as well as some smiles when we entered with our infant. My little one was very good, the two times he did start to fuss I made sure to comfort him or get his pacifier to quiet him quickly. We didn't disrupt anyone else's experience. How else are children supposed to learn how to act in public if you never take them anywhere??

I have seen some very badly behaving adults on all my cruises over the years.....the line cutters, chair savers, beligerent drunks, the run into me and don't say excuse me folks, the talk so loud everyone can hear your drama people....I certainly have had some of those types affect my cruising experience. It is what you make of it and anywhere you go there will be something that you probably don't like or agree with but fact is everyone on board paid the fee to be there so unless it is a reportable offense you have to deal with it or remove yourself from the situation. You can't escape unruly children anymore than I can escape everyday idiots and rude people that exist in the world....it's life. All we can hope for is that people in general see some of these posts and start trying to be more considerate of others.

As a new mom, I can understand both sides of the story. When I didn't have children and didn't want to constantly be around them, I went to a lot of the adult only activities they had on board. We stayed at the adult pool and had the late seating for dinner (usually with less kids). For our honeymoon, we went on a cruise that didn't cater to children. Our Celebrity TA had 2 kids on board. In fact, we were probably the youngest couple on the ship.

Now that I have a child and we are bringing her on our cruise in August, things are going to be different. My parents are coming with so we are going to have an extra set of hands. We are NOT going to be bringing her to Cagney's. I can understand why having an infant there might upset people, especially if she doesn't behave. If we do bring her to a specialty restaurant, it will be the Tex Mex one, which I hear is a lot more casual. Otherwise we will feed her in the main dining room or the kids buffet. We do plan on taking her to some of the early shows but are fully aware that we may have to leave if she acts up during them. We are going to take part in some of the kids activities like the Under 2 Zoo, and the ones with the Nick characters like Dora Story Time. And I plan on bringing a blow up tub for her since she will be in swim diapers.

The problem stems from the parents, adults (even ones who don't have kids) and children who don't follow the rules and who are inconsiderate to those around them (don't even get me started on the holding of the deck chairs). It ruins things for a lot of people. So I commend the parents who want to bring a blow up pool for their child instead of taking them into the pool in swim diapers and possibly ruining things for everyone if there is an accident.

A summer cruise on NCL caters to families. There is no way around that. Just be considerate and respectful to those around you...this goes for both adults only and families and you should have a great time!

Very well put :) I agree, on my last cruise before baby my husband and I spent most of our time in the adult pool area....but even some teens snuck in there, so as mentioned before it depends on people in general following rules and being considerate of others. We too will have family members to give us a hand and we will also not be going to Cagneys unless we have a "date night" because I don't see why it is necessary to pay extra for food on a cruise. Part of the reason we are going on NCL for the first time is because of the baby and the "anytime dining". That way we can work around our child and his possible fussiness. If he is completely unmanageable we have booked a balcony and will order room service or swing by the buffet.

On our last cruise we went on a Pirate ship excursion in Grand Caymen...this lady yelled at her husband and children the entire time, ugh. The clincher was when she plopped her poopy child on the deck in front of everyone and changed him. Yes there was a bathroom or more private areas on board where this could have been done. Some folks just don't get it and never will or maybe they just think they are the only people that exist in the world. :(

I hope you have a great cruise!

As a new mom, I can understand both sides of the story. When I didn't have children and didn't want to constantly be around them, I went to a lot of the adult only activities they had on board. We stayed at the adult pool and had the late seating for dinner (usually with less kids). For our honeymoon, we went on a cruise that didn't cater to children. Our Celebrity TA had 2 kids on board. In fact, we were probably the youngest couple on the ship.

Now that I have a child and we are bringing her on our cruise in August, things are going to be different. My parents are coming with so we are going to have an extra set of hands. We are NOT going to be bringing her to Cagney's. I can understand why having an infant there might upset people, especially if she doesn't behave. If we do bring her to a specialty restaurant, it will be the Tex Mex one, which I hear is a lot more casual. Otherwise we will feed her in the main dining room or the kids buffet. We do plan on taking her to some of the early shows but are fully aware that we may have to leave if she acts up during them. We are going to take part in some of the kids activities like the Under 2 Zoo, and the ones with the Nick characters like Dora Story Time. And I plan on bringing a blow up tub for her since she will be in swim diapers.

The problem stems from the parents, adults (even ones who don't have kids) and children who don't follow the rules and who are inconsiderate to those around them (don't even get me started on the holding of the deck chairs). It ruins things for a lot of people. So I commend the parents who want to bring a blow up pool for their child instead of taking them into the pool in swim diapers and possibly ruining things for everyone if there is an accident.

A summer cruise on NCL caters to families. There is no way around that. Just be considerate and respectful to those around you...this goes for both adults only and families and you should have a great time!

these boards are the best! hours of entertaining reading if I had time to go through them all. anyone that thinks they will be annoyed by a young child should not be going on a cruise, because if it is not your kid that is annoying them it will be one of the other 2399 people on board who are litereally on top of you the entire time. you can stick a small pool anywhere on board, just bring your shoehorn and move some chairs and possibly people around.

these boards are the best! hours of entertaining reading if I had time to go through them all. anyone that thinks they will be annoyed by a young child should not be going on a cruise, because if it is not your kid that is annoying them it will be one of the other 2399 people on board who are litereally on top of you the entire time. you can stick a small pool anywhere on board, just bring your shoehorn and move some chairs and possibly people around.

And this entitlement attitude, my friends, is why this subject will continue to be hashed and rehashed on this board. I have a better idea - clearly you have a problem with those of us who don't dance to your tune, so maybe you should think about other forms of vacation as well. The 2,399 of us remaining would thank you.

I posted the question to see if it was possible about the blow up pool so my 10-month old nephew would have a good time splashing around while his 10-year old brother was in the pool and we could have time as a family. I didn't expect the question to get heated or for some nasty comments.

To suggest that my 10-month old nephew should be kept home and that he doesn't belong on a cruise is outright cruel. Do you complain about the chair hogs that are on every cruise or the people that drink excessively and bother other cruisers. Do you say that they shouldn't be cruising?

We will try to see a show with him, but if he's starts crying we will leave. We don't plan on eating in any specialty restaurants because we won't ruin a dinner for anyone else and we know that a baby won't sit through a 2 hour dinner. We will try the MDR's and will try to go very early when there won't be much of a wait. My nephew is pretty good, but he does have his days like every other baby. When we go to the dining rooms we will have his rattles and little toys for him to play with and some finger foods. Give him something to chew on and he's happy.

For those that posted that a baby doesn't belong on a cruise, do you have kids? Would you have the same comments if it was your niece or nephew or even your grandchildren who were going on a cruise? How are kids going to learn how they are supposed to act if they aren't exposed to situations like a restaurant, et cetera?

Does seeing a baby in a blow up pool with a big smile on his face playing with some toys in 2 inches of water bother people that much? At least I could say he's not one of the people hogging a chair.

I agree..... This is really FUNNY topic!!!! Just when you thought you read everything possible.

Bring a pool! I would love to see it and hear the comments. I bet you would be creating a "Kodak Moment" like few others. (Did just show my age?).

I am sorry but, I can only come up with one word to describe my feelings of seeing a blow up pool on the deck. TACKY

To each their own.... I do hope you have a great cruise and please let everyone know how the blow up pool worked out for you.

I am sorry but, I can only come up with one word to describe my feelings of seeing a blow up pool on the deck. TACKY

I don't necessarily disagree, but a blow-up pool would by no means be the tackiest thing I've seen on an NCL pool deck.

Now, who wants to share one of those classy beer helmets with me? :D

I appreciate you asking the question! Between some of the obnoxious rude answers were some very helpful tips that I will be using when we travel, so for that I am thankful. I went out the other day and bought the Mushroom baby pool and tested it out on my friend's 9 month old baby this weekend and he had a blast! He couldn't have been happier splashing in the water, so I can wait for mine to be old enough to use it and to take it on our cruise. Just as I have had to deal with people cutting in front of me in the buffet or while viewing pictures or waiting to get on/off the boat, people being loud or obnoxious, people not saying excuse me, people hogging chairs so I can't get one, people almost knocking me down as they try to enter an elevator when I am trying to get out of it, etc. they are going to have to deal with me bringing my baby....unlike a lot of them I will be doing all I can to not disrupt their vacation.

I hope you have a great time with your nephew and I plan to have a great time with my little one. PS - most of these folks that are complaining about our infants are probably the same ones that would have told us what terrible parents we are for leaving them home with relatives if we were going that route. It is a no win situation really :). ha

I posted the question to see if it was possible about the blow up pool so my 10-month old nephew would have a good time splashing around while his 10-year old brother was in the pool and we could have time as a family. I didn't expect the question to get heated or for some nasty comments.

To suggest that my 10-month old nephew should be kept home and that he doesn't belong on a cruise is outright cruel. Do you complain about the chair hogs that are on every cruise or the people that drink excessively and bother other cruisers. Do you say that they shouldn't be cruising?

We will try to see a show with him, but if he's starts crying we will leave. We don't plan on eating in any specialty restaurants because we won't ruin a dinner for anyone else and we know that a baby won't sit through a 2 hour dinner. We will try the MDR's and will try to go very early when there won't be much of a wait. My nephew is pretty good, but he does have his days like every other baby. When we go to the dining rooms we will have his rattles and little toys for him to play with and some finger foods. Give him something to chew on and he's happy.

For those that posted that a baby doesn't belong on a cruise, do you have kids? Would you have the same comments if it was your niece or nephew or even your grandchildren who were going on a cruise? How are kids going to learn how they are supposed to act if they aren't exposed to situations like a restaurant, et cetera?

Does seeing a baby in a blow up pool with a big smile on his face playing with some toys in 2 inches of water bother people that much? At least I could say he's not one of the people hogging a chair.

So you don't go anywhere? I see people cleaning on cruises all the time, a lot more than you can say about a lot of public places. That is the weirdest response I have seen yet.

We'd never expose an infant to the health risks of a cruise. Too many people, too much exposure. Gross.

So you don't go anywhere? I see people cleaning on cruises all the time, a lot more than you can say about a lot of public places. That is the weirdest response I have seen yet.

Weird?

Going public places is one thing, but constantly subjecting an infant and their immature immune system to thousands of people confined on a far from sanitary cruise ship for a week, not to mention any air travel involved, foreign countries visited or exposure to the possible danger from drunken smoking partying passengers . . . is weird to me. What does the infant get out of it that he couldn't get at home? Is it worth the risk?

Hey, it's your kid, enjoy your vacation.

I'm sorry but I don't get how a cruise ship is somehow more serious than going out to many other public places?? Movie theatre, gyms, arenas, stores, doctors office. I live in Texas, it is practically a foreign country as we have many folks crossing our borders to come here. I also have my child in daycare so there is another strike against me.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but you can't throw them in a bubble, they have to go out into the world at some point...how are they supposed to BUILD immunity. I breast feed and have taken steps to help my child along as much as possible. I don't know when wanting to spend time with your children became a bad thing.

Maybe I also don't get why when someone asks a simple question about how to help her nephew have fun that people have to turn it into a negative thread about leaving kids at home??

Weird?

Going public places is one thing, but constantly subjecting an infant and their immature immune system to thousands of people confined on a far from sanitary cruise ship for a week, not to mention any air travel involved, foreign countries visited or exposure to the possible danger from drunken smoking partying passengers . . . is weird to me. What does the infant get out of it that he couldn't get at home? Is it worth the risk?

Hey, it's your kid, enjoy your vacation.

Archived