Oasis Trip Report June 19-26, 2010

Hey, you never left the ship....does this mean you're still on board? Luck you! LOL! Seriously though, this was a great review. Any last thoughts?
I wish I was still on the ship. I think I'm stalling b/c I don't want it to end! I will try to finish up with some final thoughts soon.

I wish I was still on the ship. I think I'm stalling b/c I don't want it to end! I will try to finish up with some final thoughts soon.

Awwwww, Susan. We'll be leaving for the airport in 5 and 1/2 hours and today I'll be on the Oasis and I didn't get to read the rest of your review. I will say this, though. You are slow, but you are thorough! Your review was so much fun, even though I am not into the athletic offerings aboard the ship, that is if you don't count the "dining room sprint" event. Maybe I'll post a few comments when we get back and we can compare notes. Thank you, again, for writing such an informative and entertaining account of your trip!

Edited by Windy56

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wait a second..

Where's the "rest of the story", Susan?

Enjoyed reading this review and I'll have to go back and read it again and make notes this time, since DW and I sail on the Allure in July ...

I didn't know Schlitterbaun didn't allow stand-up surfing.. May have to go down and check it out before we go on our cruise...

A fellow Texan,

mG

Thanks for reading. I am not sure I ever finished it. The last part would have been about disembarkation, which was pretty uneventful. They have a really good system of managing the crowds. But it's always sad to leave a cruise ship.

• 7 months later...
Thanks for reading. I am not sure I ever finished it. The last part would have been about disembarkation, which was pretty uneventful. They have a really good system of managing the crowds. But it's always sad to leave a cruise ship.

We have a similiarr situation on our upcoming cruise with a late flight. Any suggestions on how to kill the day. Our flight isn't until 5p.

We have a similiarr situation on our upcoming cruise with a late flight. Any suggestions on how to kill the day. Our flight isn't until 5p.
Long answer to a short question:

On our Allure cruise, which ended last Sunday, we elected late check-out and luggage valet. We were allowed to stay in our rooms and/or on board until 10am.

We woke up early and couldn't sleep anymore, so we decided to go ahead and pack up and leave. But as we walked down our hallway (around 8:45), we noticed that the rooms were open, so we took some peeks in. We got to see a JS and a GS. Then we decided to head up to 17 and see a Crown Loft Suite. We probably could easily have seen other varieties of rooms, but didn't take the time to wander. So, I'd recommend that for sure.

Then we took a cab over to Las Olas (ask them to take you to Cheesecake Factory as a point of reference for drop-off). This is a nice area about 10 minutes from port with cafes and shops. Some cafes were open, but no shops. We knew we were heading in the direction of the beach, so we started walking. I have to say the walk was boring and over 2.5 miles. We weren't hungry when we started, but were hungry when we got there.

Once at the beach, there are several outdoor cafes and lots to see. We ended up with brunch at a place whose name escapes me. They advertised the best burger, which my husband had and said was great. I had french toast, which was awesome. It is next door to Greek Express.

Then we walked south along the beach front and ultimately caught a cab from the Sheraton Hotel back to the airport.

My recommendation would be to pick either the Las Olas shopping area or the beach, but not to walk between them.

Other things you could do:

- RC offers excursions in FLL - you wouldn't have to use Luggage Valet that way, but they are expensive

- Hop On/Hop Off bus

- Water taxi will take you by the million-dollar+ homes

- Shopping at one of the area malls or Sawgrass Mills

- If you like the Flowrider, schedule a session or two at AquaShop, about 20 minutes from FLL airport.

Hope this helps!

What kind of things do you like to do. Ft. lauderdale has a million things. Beach, Museums, Shopping, boating, snorkeling .... If you give me an idea, Imight have some suggestions. (Aside from RCI post cruise excursions)

After our cruise on the Oasis of the Seas back in 2010, we had a 7 PM flight home to Los Angeles and chose to book an excursion for our day in Fort Lauderdale via Royal Caribbean. We took a land/water tour and it ended at the airport a little after noon. We enjoyed it (hassle-free!) and will do it again next Summer after our Allure cruise before that same 7 PM flight home. This time, though, we're going to take the Everglades Airboat tour instead.

• 1 year later...
Great review! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for reading. Wow, you brought this thread back from the dead! I am glad it was helpful to you.

Umm..... they shared this like 3+ years ago... seriously...

jc

Wow, don't hate. I'm honored that someone still finds value in my post. I would assume that much of it is still highly applicable and relevant.

I know when I plan vacations, I seek as much info as possible, so a 3 year old review is still valuable to me.

Edited by swwake

Thanks for reading. Wow, you brought this thread back from the dead! I am glad it was helpful to you.

Wow, don't hate. I'm honored that someone still finds value in my post. I would assume that much of it is still highly applicable and relevant.

I know when I plan vacations, I seek as much info as possible, so a 3 year old review is still valuable to me.

Lucky you Susan! No one has revived my review and this one of yours is really old.....;)

I hope you and Chris are doing good!

Harold :)

Edited by Eng23

Lucky you Susan! No one has revived my review and this one of yours is really old.....;)

I hope you and Chris are doing good!

Harold :)

Harold - we are doing well. I am just very sad that we don't have a sea cruise in our near future! I have GOT to get back on a ship.

We are going back to Germany with my Dad in August, so that eats most of our time and $$ travel budget for the year.

Then we added the 10-mile Tower-of-Terror Run at Disney World in October. As of last night, I think I had Chris convinced to hop on a 3-night Disney Dream cruise the end of that week, but as of this morning he's back to "let's wait til we have grandkids to take on a Disney cruise" mode. And that is (hopefully) a good 10 years from now or more.

So it will be back to RCCL in 2015 for SOMETHING! Chris is eyeballing Allure out of Barcelona. I am eyeballing anything with a Flowrider out of ANYWHERE. We'll have to keep in touch so maybe we'll all be on the same ship again.

The boys from Great Britain we met on Allure in 2012 will be in Vegas this June, so we're going to meet them for a couple of nights. I was able to schedule a work trip during their visit - so bonus!

How are you doing? I am super jealous that you have cruises in the works.

Harold - we are doing well. I am just very sad that we don't have a sea cruise in our near future! I have GOT to get back on a ship.

We are going back to Germany with my Dad in August, so that eats most of our time and $$ travel budget for the year.

Then we added the 10-mile Tower-of-Terror Run at Disney World in October. As of last night, I think I had Chris convinced to hop on a 3-night Disney Dream cruise the end of that week, but as of this morning he's back to "let's wait til we have grandkids to take on a Disney cruise" mode. And that is (hopefully) a good 10 years from now or more.

So it will be back to RCCL in 2015 for SOMETHING! Chris is eyeballing Allure out of Barcelona. I am eyeballing anything with a Flowrider out of ANYWHERE. We'll have to keep in touch so maybe we'll all be on the same ship again.

The boys from Great Britain we met on Allure in 2012 will be in Vegas this June, so we're going to meet them for a couple of nights. I was able to schedule a work trip during their visit - so bonus!

How are you doing? I am super jealous that you have cruises in the works.

I'm doing good Susan. Germany in the summertime will be a fantastic vacation! I miss Germany, I hope to go back again some day. Yeah, don't wanna rush that grandkid thing to much...:D

For me in 2015, anything past May 2015 is an open book. I'll be retiring from the fire department at the end of May. I'm sure there is a good chance of a "retirement" cruise shortly after I retire. Quantum of the Seas is looking like a possibility. That way I can Flowride and sky dive! :)

Ah yes, Las Vegas. I was just there for my birthday back in Janurary. That's all I got to say about that! Nice catching up with you, I still have your email and will try to keep you up to date for 2015. Cheers!

Edited by Eng23

• 2 years later...