Question about anytime dining on carnival

dagtoking1

An OG or RL with 50 or so TOO many tables jammed into it.

I'll stick with traditional and not feel like I'm dining in a pinball machine.

The last time we had traditional, we had a table placed where I am sure used to be a walkway...a circular table mere inches behind me and we kept bumping chairs :(

Guess its luck of the draw on that...

We have signed up for early dining, but the dine when you want sounds good. How does the tipping work and can we change our option. we sail this Sunday on the Valor.

leave the automatic tip in place--the waiters in anytime get to share it.

We have signed up for early dining, but the dine when you want sounds good. How does the tipping work and can we change our option. we sail this Sunday on the Valor.

See the Maitre'D when you board. The time that he/she is available should be listed on your Daily Schedule. Tipping works the same as if you had assigned dining.

• 2 weeks later...
Same for us... we had 6 in our party...some nights it was 6 of us, the next night the kids didnt want to join so we had 4, then back to 6 again the night after. Longest wait was 5 minutes and thats because we specified the same wait staff.

Glad to hear that. We are a group of five and I've seen a few posts that say anything more than 4 will be a long wait. Quick question if you don't mind. When they say anytime dining is until 9:30, can you arrive up until 9:30 or do you have to be done by 9:30?

Has anyone tried this with a large party. We are a party of 8, would we be waiting forever for a table? Love the convenience of it, always felt rushed to get to the early seating but with young children would have to have missed the shows with late seating.

Has anyone tried this with a large party. We are a party of 8, would we be waiting forever for a table? Love the convenience of it, always felt rushed to get to the early seating but with young children would have to have missed the shows with late seating.

with kids it would be easier for the earlier dining. Camps are closed a lot of the evenings while you are dining. Meaning a lot of down time for kids.

Most tables accomadate 2, 4 or 6 people with a few for 8 and people who want to sit with strangers are often seated at those.

With kids will you mind a wait for a table of 8.

You should not miss the shows if dining with late dinner. Show starts at 10:30 and you should be done in plenty of time

Glad to hear that. We are a group of five and I've seen a few posts that say anything more than 4 will be a long wait. Quick question if you don't mind. When they say anytime dining is until 9:30, can you arrive up until 9:30 or do you have to be done by 9:30?

you have to be seated by 9:30

We just sailed the Ecstasy over 4th of July weekend and ate in the same dining room as YTD. We prefer assigned seating and having the same waiter every night. We usually prefer a large table so we can meet new people but was given a table for 2. It was right next to a table for 4 so we got to know those people and talked to them each night. The tables are close together. Also, every night, there was a huge long line that we walked right past and went to our table. We have absolutely no desire to use YTD.

We had your time dining last week on Liberty & loved it. We didn't eat in the dining room every evening, but we were always able to get seated right away, table for 2. Yes, the tables are just inches from another table, but we enjoyed chatting with the people at those tables. It was so nice not to have to keep watching the clock to be sure we weren't late for dinner. It was also fun meeting new people every night. There was one night there would have been about a 15 minute wait. We opted not to wait simply because we wanted to go to the comedy show. We ate on lido that night. If there is a wait, they give you a pager just like a restaurant on land. You still get the same great service & great food with the flexibility you want.

Sailed on the Spirit to Alaska at the end of May with Anytime Dining and was alittle aprehensive about asking for a table for two since I was dining alone. I was in line when they opened and was soooooo happy with the table I was given! It was back in the corner, next to a huge, circular window. There was a small ledge there where I could put my book, binoculars, etc. Yes, there was another table for two about a foot to my right, but it didn't matter. I still had my solitude and I thought I'd be reading my book, but ended up looking at the incredible scenery and whales blowing while I enjoyed my dinner. Waitstaff was excellent. I ended up returning every night around the same time and the hostess would ask if I would like MY table! You betcha'! Loved, loved, loved it!

There are very few large tables, at least on the Glory. If you read my post above, we had a hard time seating 5 - wait of 30 minutes and an hour - so based upon my experience, I would not try it.

We have learned not to "rush" to the dining room at 6 - we give it 10 minutes so the line settles down, and yet you are not inconveniencing the staff. We let them know the night before if we plan not to be there - otherwise, they can count on us. We give them a heads up about milk for the boys and at least one fruit plate. Makes their job much easier, and they always have it ready when we arrive. So we are back to ES for our next cruise.

We were on the Glory in May and had "my time dining" with the same waitstaff every night.........

First of all, I could care less about having the same waitstaff. BUT in saying that, if I want a particular server for whatever reason, all one has to do is ask to be seated in their area - no big deal.

I do only cruise lines that offer anytime, your time, freestyle, whatever. The ones that love the set dining must have never had a tablemate from hell........ :rolleyes:

First of all, I could care less about having the same waitstaff. BUT in saying that, if I want a particular server for whatever reason, all one has to do is ask to be seated in their area - no big deal.

I do only cruise lines that offer anytime, your time, freestyle, whatever. The ones that love the set dining must have never had a tablemate from hell........ :rolleyes:

Or servers from he@@:D I agree!

We've had great tablemates and not so great but never anyone intolerable. I think you can get reassigned if you do, can't you?

It only happened on one cruise and there was really nothing wrong with them but we had absolutely nothing in common. All the other's wife did was complain and he didn't say much.

I'm sure they figured that we had nothing in common with them as well. When we left, I just told the maitre 'd that we would not be joining them the next night.

Now with freestyle (or whatever) it's easier to make new acquaintances out by the pool and all of us go to dinner together.

Now with freestyle (or whatever) it's easier to make new acquaintances out by the pool and all of us go to dinner together.

Hmmm.... that's not a bad idea. We're planning on trying it next cruise just to see what we think. We had actually wanted to do a table for 2 but from the sounds of it the tables are packed a$$ to elbow.

Archived