My Explorer Review: 6/24/10-7/3/10 Details!

They had a Deck Buffet BBQ at noon on the day we were in OSJ, I am not sure if it was in the Compass or not. We didn’t even hear about it, but I was told it was announced at one of the shows the night before, and, maybe on the loud speaker? There were hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, corn on the cob, grilled veggies, salad and desserts that I don’t recall what they were. There was also a Promenade buffet for Canada Day, not announced in the Cruise Compass, so a word to folks who don’t listen to the announcements; if you want to be in the know, listen to them. (we missed quite a few) There were corn dogs, chorizo, fish & chips [ice cold, eww], chicken sandwiches, a huge Canada Day Cake and ice cream and other things I don’t remember.

Thanks for the review.

How common are these lunches on Explorer? Sounds much nicer than the pictures of the burgers I've seen sitting in WJ warmers. Would sea days not make more sense than port days?

Thanks for the review.

How common are these lunches on Explorer? Sounds much nicer than the pictures of the burgers I've seen sitting in WJ warmers. Would sea days not make more sense than port days?

They were both a surprise to us. We have been on Explorer 4+ times before and there was never an afternoon BBQ on the pool deck that we remember. Also, Canada day is once ayear, I guess they do the same thing every year? It was very nice.

If you're looking for a step up from the buffet, check out the main dining room for lunch. Personally, I loved being able to create my own salad.

Stacey, you should put your review on facebook and see if they call you! Have heard a lot about the wear and tear. They should be working on that! Love the review missed cruising with you!

I think I posted it this afternoon on Facebook, but I just reposted it! lol

Glad you enjoyed my review!!

marci,

There werent any marked trails at all. None. We didnt see any. On our attempt, we noticed a few folks walking back. They asked if we knew anything, which we didnt, lol. We walked some more, but quickly realized why we saw them walking back. Really, I think unless you go 'up' behind some rock formation, then maybe there is some kind of spot you can get through then climb back down? I dont know. DH who is not water-savvy wanted to attempt it through the water, but it is humanly not possible. Okay, maybe for a slippery rock climber?

I would suggest to at least walk all the way down as far as you can so you can attempt it. There are beautiful coves that are picture perfect!!

This is surprising. We have done the trail (upper) several times and never found it to be difficult at all. We also love to wander off of the trail onto the areas that jut out over the shore. Sometimes, others have made pathways through the brushy areas.

Walking along the shore is great fun when and where you can. If the tide is out you can go pretty far. If not, then walk along the shore, move up to the trail and go back down at another point.

Sandy,

We actually walked up the hill. It isnt as bad as it looks. It looks like the hills in San Fransisco, lol. My first thought was, "Oh noooo"! But it was not tough at all. It was a wonderful visit. Even the kids were so happy we went. It was fascinating. I dont want to say too much! lol Here is the web site.

www.stthomassynagogue.com

Thanks a lot. It sounds like you can walk to it from the ship. We will try to go next month. Thanks for the pictures.

Sandy

This is surprising. We have done the trail (upper) several times and never found it to be difficult at all. We also love to wander off of the trail onto the areas that jut out over the shore. Sometimes, others have made pathways through the brushy areas.

Walking along the shore is great fun when and where you can. If the tide is out you can go pretty far. If not, then walk along the shore, move up to the trail and go back down at another point.

Oh my! Please tell me that you have some pictures of this that you can share? We werent alone in the fact that we couldnt walk from Horseshoe to Warwick LB. We have been to Bermuda 5x, this was the first time we decided we wanted to walk to Warwick LB b/c we heard that you could..

Others were disappointed as well. Any pics would be wonderful and awesome to see.

I loved reading this...i board the explorer for the first time tomorrow and cannot wait!

Im glad you enjoyed my review! Any questions?

You will have a great time! Bon Voyage for tomorrow! [Make sure you are outside, like deck 12 or so all the way forward for sail away. Going under the VZ bridge is a great experience! Have your camera in hand!]

Great review. Will be sailing on the Explorer for 12 days in Feb. First time sailing on Royal Carribbean and am looking forward to it. You listed your cabins as a "balcony hump" and a PR, what do you mean by this? We are booked in a cabin on deck 8 overlooking the promenaede?? I have sailed other cruise lines, oceanview and balcony, so am curious to hear about these cabins.

Im glad you enjoyed my review! Any questions?

You will have a great time! Bon Voyage for tomorrow! [Make sure you are outside, like deck 12 or so all the way forward for sail away. Going under the VZ bridge is a great experience! Have your camera in hand!]

Cant think of any questions--im so excited though! Its my first cruise on the explorer, but i think its my 9th with RCCL. Thanks for the tip about sailaway--never sailed from this port!

Great review. Will be sailing on the Explorer for 12 days in Feb. First time sailing on Royal Carribbean and am looking forward to it. You listed your cabins as a "balcony hump" and a PR, what do you mean by this? We are booked in a cabin on deck 8 overlooking the promenaede?? I have sailed other cruise lines, oceanview and balcony, so am curious to hear about these cabins.

My children were in 8311, a Promenade cabin. They overlooked the centrum actually, not the promenade. We were in 8322, a balcony cabin on the bump-out of Explorer. Look below: it is the little piece that juts out near the elevators and Royal Online.

shp_ex_deck08_v10-11_dpl.gif

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed my review.

If you read my review, you know our camera took a dive off the bar before we even set sail. Here are some pictures from our underwater camera.

Cape Liberty: Bay unloading luggage

DSC02503.jpg

Tent

DSC02507.jpg

View from Dizzy's before sail away

P6240017.jpg

Lunch Salad station in the MDR

P6250113.jpg

I think I posted it this afternoon on Facebook, but I just reposted it! lol

Glad you enjoyed my review!!

they should call you....they apparently have a couple peeps who specialize in looking for RCI stuff on social media...as in reading their FB page....that's who contacted me...

I just noticed you were in MY room! We had that one on our last explorer cruise. It was a great room so convienent to everything!

We only book cabins in that location and on the bump. My favorite to date was (i think) 9318, a JS. I do agree, there is nothing like that location on Voyager class!!

Great pictures. I don't believe the line at the entrance in Bayonne. We never had a line like that. We get there by 11 or so and just walk in.

Hey, Meg. We just moved our 2/27/11 cruise to 2/6. Diane & Steve and Carol and her Mom are on it too. Hope your Mom is doing well.

Sandy

Thanks a lot. It sounds like you can walk to it from the ship. We will try to go next month. Thanks for the pictures.

Sandy

Thanks for the site of the Synagogue in St. Thomas! We totally forgot to check it out when we were there in '08, also on the Explorer! I just hope it's not too hot to walk the hill!! We are not "spring chickens'' anymore. LOL I printed out the walking directions! We'll be galavanting through St. Thomas anyway (my fave port), so it probably won't be too bad.

Maybe we'll grab a taxi back if it's too much.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the site of the Synagogue in St. Thomas! We totally forgot to check it out when we were there in '08, also on the Explorer! I just hope it's not too hot to walk the hill!! We are not "spring chickens'' anymore. LOL I printed out the walking directions! We'll be galavanting through St. Thomas anyway (my fave port), so it probably won't be too bad.

Maybe we'll grab a taxi back if it's too much.

Thanks again.

We are going to try to go and if it is too hot, maybe we can get a taxi there. Otherwise, we will be there again in February and May.

Great pictures. I don't believe the line at the entrance in Bayonne. We never had a line like that. We get there by 11 or so and just walk in.

Hey, Meg. We just moved our 2/27/11 cruise to 2/6. Diane & Steve and Carol and her Mom are on it too. Hope your Mom is doing well.

Sandy

Hey sandy......Hmmmm....we MIGHT be going in Sept on a b2b (canada and then bermuda..not my 1st choice but a deal!)

mom is hangin in there....what can i say.....

Hey sandy......Hmmmm....we MIGHT be going in Sept on a b2b (canada and then bermuda..not my 1st choice but a deal!)

mom is hangin in there....what can i say.....

Come join us we are doing b2b Sept 16 & Sept 25.

New England then Bermuda. We are doing the Feb. 6th 12 nighter.

Dick & Mari

Archived