Verizon cell service in port?

PlanoDebbie

Last time we were in Alaska we had T-Mobile, and our service was barely so-so.

We have just switched to Verizon. Anyone have any experience with Verizon service in any of the following ports?

Ketchikan

Skagway

Juneau

Sitka

Homer

Kodiak

Anchorage

I'm not even gonna try to use my phone in Victoria, BC.

Just curious to know if we'll have decent service at all, or be disappointed again.

thanks

I have used Verizon with out any problems in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Anchorage. It did work in Victoria but it was either $1/minute or $2/minute - I can't remember.

Sorry - didn't go to the other ports.

I've had Verizon for years. We used it last year in Skagway and Juneau without any problems. I had my phone on in Vancouver in 2007 and received a call (wrong number, of course) and was charged .69 for one minute. BTW, the reception in Vancouver was excellent also. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Anne:)

Hi,

Be sure to dial "#228" option 2, before you leave. This will update your PRL (Preferred Roaming List).

Actually you should do this about every six months.

Verizon doesn't have a network in Alaska. This allows you to connect to their roaming partners without getting charges.

Converted Alltel customers that are still on Alltel Price Plans need to convert to VZW pricing before you go. Alltel plans do NOT have coverage in Alaska.

Thanks! At least I know it will work in MOST of our ports. Since Kodiak and Homer are so little, I wouldn't be surprised if we get no service there at all.

You will have good Verizon service in Homer, particularly on the Spit. I use both my cell and my Verizon aircard from Homer constantly when I am there for business (twice a year-spring and fall)

You will have good Verizon service in Homer, particularly on the Spit. I use both my cell and my Verizon aircard from Homer constantly when I am there for business (twice a year-spring and fall)

Awsome. I guess the only port in question now is Kodiak. Excellent!

thanks,

Archived