Eating places- Ruby

babygoo

Getting confused after reading so many reviews. Where is there to eat and is the IC free? just read somewhere it was $1 per snack. Is Vines an eating place? Is cafe caribe and the horizon court the same thing?:confused:

We've opted for Anytime dining, do we get allocated a dining room?

Thanks

Getting confused after reading so many reviews. Where is there to eat and is the IC free? just read somewhere it was $1 per snack. Is Vines an eating place? Is cafe caribe and the horizon court the same thing?:confused:

Thanks

Good Morning!

Cafe Caribe and Horizon Court are co-located buffets but sometimes with slightly different menus and different hours. Cafe Caribe sometimes has a "theme" such as German or whatever.

IC - free except coffee or gelato. Desserts, cookies, sandwiches quiche etc all free (and awesome!)

2 anytime dining rooms - Davinci and Michaelangelo. They are the same, same menu located one on top of the other (plaza and one floor up). Just go to whichever is less busy. Except for the first day, you can make reservations if you know what time you would like to eat. I believe the reservation line opens at 0800 (by phone) so if you want a guaranteed time, be standing next to your phone at 0759! Otherwise, it's hit or miss. You might not wait at all, or you might wait 20-30 mins. They will give you a pager so you can walk away and not stand in line.

Other than that, there is the pizza bar on the pool deck (free), hotdogs, hamburgers and fries (pool deck - free), room service for free....I think that's it.

Last time we had a ship board credit so we decided to visit Sabatini's ($25 surcharge). It was so incredible we went back again! It's about a 2-3 hr meal where you sample 15 courses of wonderful Italian food! I highly recommend it!!

Enjoy the Ruby!!

Is Vines an eating place?

Vines is a wine bar. They do have sushi at no extra charge. They also will sell a plate of cheeses.

It is located very near the International Cafe, so you can get food at the IC and enjoy your glass of wine also.

I just remembered one other...the Wheelhouse (I think that's the name!) served an "English" pub lunch twice during a 10 day cruise. Typical fair...bangers and mash, fish and chips and sheppards pie. It was also free and pretty good - except I REALLY burned my mouth and throat with the way too damn hot sheppard's pie! Guess I was really hungry and impatient that day!

Recently on Transatlantic. Main dining room OK. But really enjoyed the theme buffets in Cafe Caribe evenings. Cafe was at very back of buffet. The chefs really went to extra effort. We had open dining so would review MDR menu of evening then go up to Cafe Caribe for a look. Usually ended up up there. MDR dining menu rather boring.

Thanks

With Anytime dining, you are not allocated a dining room, table, or set time. You just walk up and wait to be seated; you have the choice of eating alone or at a large table with others. The wait to be seated is usually a lot longer if you opt to eat alone. The menu and dress code is exactly the same as the "Traditional" (fixed) seating. The dining room used for Traditional dining is also used for breakfast and lunch with open seating, i.e., you walk up and are seated where there is space at a table.

The buffet is separated into two sections by the aft elevators/lobby: Cafe Caribe and the Horizon Court. The Horizon Court is the main buffet and is open 24/7. Cafe Caribe has a much smaller buffet area and sometimes has food different than in the Horizon Court. I've found that finding a table in the Cafe Caribe at breakfast and lunch is a lot easier than trying to find one in the Horizon Court. Just because you get your food from the Horizon Court doesn't mean you have to eat there.

Other food options are The Grill, which has hamburgers, hot dogs, bratwurst, etc. and the Pizza (which is the best of any cruiseline.) Often, a Pub Lunch is served in the Wheelhouse as another option.

The International Cafe is a small area on deck 5 which has snacks, coffee, etc. There used to be a charge but I believe that's just for a couple of specialty things now. Just about everything there is now free.

Vines is a wine bar. I've never been there so I dont' know what they have other than wine.

The above are all of the FREE options. You can also opt to dine in one of the specialty restaurants, Sabini's or Crown Grill. If you eat in one of these restaurants, there is a charge of $15 - $20/pp.

Hope this helps!

I am surprised no none mentioned the Crown Grill....our favorite steakhouse and seafood on land or sea....specialty with a $25 surcharge but well worth it..

a fantastic menu and you can have as much as you want of everything....

here is the menu.. http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/specialty_restaurants/crown_grill/index.html

Archived