First Cruise - 7 Days

odd man out

My wife and I go on our first cruise (Ryndam - Vancouver to Seward) in exactly one week (woo hoo :D). We are booked for the Sea Wind Misty Fjords flightseeing tour in Ketchikan, Harv and Marv's Whale Watching in Juneau, a car rental to drive up to Carcross from Skagway, and the Pinnacle Grill for the last night. I have read everything I can find about the ship/cruise/ports/etc. Here are a few last minute questions:

We will want to spend as much time on deck as possible enjoying the views. What are the best places to do this? If outside, are there deck chairs with a view or will it be necessary to stand at the rail?

If the weather is poor, what's the best inside viewing option? If in a lounge with a view (e.g. Crow's Nest), is one required to buy a drink if occupying a seat? Note that we are from MI, so we have pretty low standards with regards to "poor weather".

I have seen reference to the Lido Deck restaurant as being a buffet and table service. Which is it?

We have "As you wish" dining. I don't know when we will be wanting to eat. Is it advisable to try and plan ahead and make reservations or not?

We might want to try the Canaletto dining room one night. Again, are reservations required/desirable?

TIA for the hits. I may have more in my last week.

You are not required to buy drinks anywhere...you may sit where you like!

Your best views WILL be at the rail, as folks will stand right in front of you, if you aren't there!

"As you wish" means just that...you don't have to pre-arrange eating times...sort of defeats the whole purpose! AYW is IN the dining room.

You're never required to buy a drink to occupy any chair or lounger anywhere on the ship.

You'll find good viewing from the Crow's Nest, and plenty of deck chairs all around. Sometimes the chairs on one side of the Lower Promenade will be much more popular than the other due to the sun or the particular scenery you're passing through. The best viewing of glaciers is out on the bow or one of the forward decks of the Verandah or Lido decks.

The Lido restaurant is full buffet at breakfast and lunch, and on some ships it is semi-buffet for dinner, where they bring your ordered entree when it is ready, and you carry everything else yourself. I don't know which way it is on the Ryndam right now.

With Open seating in the MDR you won't need reservations unless you want a table for two and don't want to go when it first opens. Or you can go later and wait for one. Canaletto reservations are strongly suggested, although it may be possible to walk-in on some nights if you go early enough.

Enjoy the Great Land!

:)

AYW is IN the dining room.
AYW is IN the ship, as that term encompasses all the forms of dining - Open, Fixed, Lido, PG, Canaletto, and room service.

"As you wish" means just that...you don't have to pre-arrange eating times...sort of defeats the whole purpose! AYW is IN the dining room.
"As you wish" also means one can dine as they wish at the same time each night with the same waiters and tablemates. It also means they can dine in their cabin with room service, in the Lido, in a specialty restaurant... - 'As They Wish'. It isn't limited to the Dining Room.

jtl513 has given the OP great advice!

Enjoy!

My wife and I go on our first cruise (Ryndam - Vancouver to Seward) in exactly one week (woo hoo :D). We are booked for the Sea Wind Misty Fjords flightseeing tour in Ketchikan, Harv and Marv's Whale Watching in Juneau, a car rental to drive up to Carcross from Skagway, and the Pinnacle Grill for the last night. I have read everything I can find about the ship/cruise/ports/etc. Here are a few last minute questions:

We will want to spend as much time on deck as possible enjoying the views. What are the best places to do this? If outside, are there deck chairs with a view or will it be necessary to stand at the rail?

If the weather is poor, what's the best inside viewing option? If in a lounge with a view (e.g. Crow's Nest), is one required to buy a drink if occupying a seat? Note that we are from MI, so we have pretty low standards with regards to "poor weather".

I have seen reference to the Lido Deck restaurant as being a buffet and table service. Which is it?

We have "As you wish" dining. I don't know when we will be wanting to eat. Is it advisable to try and plan ahead and make reservations or not?

We might want to try the Canaletto dining room one night. Again, are reservations required/desirable?

TIA for the hits. I may have more in my last week.

I just did this cruise on the Ryndam from June 20th. to 27th.

Make sure to pack a water repellant nylon rain jacket/coat with an attached hood as well as an umbrella as it poured rain from our approach to Ketchikan and didn't stop until the afternoon in Skagway two and one half days later!!! Other than that, it was cloudy and overcast with a total of one hour of sun the entire cruise, (in Glacier Bay of all places)!!!:)

You never know what the weather will be in Alaska. On our cruise last year, it was foggy in Glacier Bay, this year sunny and lovely. In Juneau this year it rained all day but was only overcast in Ketchikan and Sitka. Emjoy your cruise no matter what. Alaska is a wonderful place.

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming.

Another question. I have seen reference to having a double bed vs two twin beds. If possible, at what point would we make this request?

I know that MDR reservations are not required, but I wasn't sure if they would help or not. It sounds like it won't be necessary and that requesting to be seated with other groups will help. This is good, as we would rather get the chance to meet other cruisers.

Yes we will bring rain gear. We are from MI, so we are familiar about cold and rain (we call it Mar, Apr, May, Oct, Nov and Dec).

I was studying the deck plans. It looks like the only way to get to the upper forward Lido observation deck is either through the exercise room or up two flights of stairs from the Veranda observation deck. Is that right?

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming.

Another question. I have seen reference to having a double bed vs two twin beds. If possible, at what point would we make this request? We always have that request in before we cruise -- TA takes care of that when we book. Once you are on the ship -- meet with your cabin stewards right away and request the way you want the beds for the cruise.

I know that MDR reservations are not required, but I wasn't sure if they would help or not. It sounds like it won't be necessary and that requesting to be seated with other groups will help. This is good, as we would rather get the chance to meet other cruisers. If you wish to sit at a larger table -- best not to make reservations as they will ask for your cabin number and time you want to eat and you could end up at a table for 2.

Yes we will bring rain gear. We are from MI, so we are familiar about cold and rain (we call it Mar, Apr, May, Oct, Nov and Dec).

I was studying the deck plans. It looks like the only way to get to the upper forward Lido observation deck is either through the exercise room or up two flights of stairs from the Veranda observation deck. Is that right? Yes -- that is correct!! We always found it is easier to just go to the gym and go outside that way.

We have sailed quite a few times on the Ryndam -- including Alaska -- love the ship. We haven't been on her since she went into dry dock this past spring.

Have a great cruise.

Just back from the Zuiderdam Alaska and one of the best viewing spots was from around the Lido pool. The area was closed with the cover and it was very pleasantly warm and all the chairs and tables that normally face the pool were turned around and faced out the large picture windows all along the deck.

The enclosed Lido felt like being in a very cheery sun room. Naturally you need to be on the "right" side, but on this trip every side was eventually the right side.

But for the serious outdoor viewing on this ship they opened up the most forward deck (for us on the fourth floor on our larger ship) which was normally not available for passenger use. This was the windy ice cutter seat for outdoor viewing, but they also offered cups of hot Dutch pea soup for the hardy.

I highly recommend sitting outdoors, aft. On Lido Deck there's an area that's somewhat sheltered from the wind. It has a great, sweeping view. If the weather is more on the "liquid sunshine" side, then drop down one deck. Navigation Deck, aft, has more shelter from the wind, as well as the upper deck acting as a roof. You still get great views, and all that fresh air.

Have a great time in The Great Land.

I'm with you, Ruth - spent many, many hours at the Sea View bar area right outside the Lido - sheltered from the wind and rain but with expansive views. Our cabin was on the aft of the Navigation deck, so just a short hop down the stairs to our "secret" covered deck, sheltered from the elements with the wonderful wake view. Fantastic!:D

I'm with you, Ruth - spent many, many hours at the Sea View bar area right outside the Lido - sheltered from the wind and rain but with expansive views.

You were on the Amsterdam; OP is on the Ryndam. Slightly different arrangement.

There's no Sea View Bar, not really too much of anything, outside the Lido aft. The bulk of what you're thinking of as being on Lido aft is down one deck on the Ryndam. There's no bar, but there is a service window for drinks. That's where the pool is. The Lido Deck curves around, and looks down on it.

Curses! Hit "enter" too soon. :mad:

I wanted to add that you chose well, AI Princes. You had a great spot for viewing. That's where I spent my viewing hours when I went to Alaska on the Volendam. That ship has the same aft set-up as the Amsterdam.

I got plenty of "liquid sunshine" in Alaska last year (and enjoyed it, don't see nearly enough of it at home) and was very glad to have packed my Goretex-lined hiking shoes as well as the waterproof jacket. Had dry feet all day in Ketchikan, and could just put the same shoes on again next day, no waiting for shoes to dry, no having to pack a second pair.

Also, take some clothes pegs if you want to hang anything to dry on the pull-out clothesline over the bath... the staff were very friendly and helpful, bless them, but had NOT A CLUE what a clothes peg was. (I was on Volendam, someone else will know if Ryndam has a clothesline over the bath or not)

... the staff were very friendly and helpful, bless them, but had NOT A CLUE what a clothes peg was. (I was on Volendam, someone else will know if Ryndam has a clothesline over the bath or not)

Every cabin on every ship (including the shower-only insides) has a clothesline.

I don't know, either, what a "clothes peg" is. Guessing that it's what I would call a "clothes pin". :confused:

Every cabin on every ship (including the shower-only insides) has a clothesline.

I don't know, either, what a "clothes peg" is. Guessing that it's what I would call a "clothes pin". :confused:

Yes, it's a clothes pin (but I tried that and they didn't know what that was either...) ;)

Archived