HAL, South Queensferry (EDI) UK overnight and tendering

YXU AC*SE

Hello all. I've posted this in my roll call a couple of days ago with no luck in eliciting a reply. For previous HAL ships that had an overnight stop in EDI, and were tendering -- damn that Forth rail bridge :-) -- any idea how late tender service ran into the evening?

We're on the Eurodam next month and have independent (non-shorex) second show tickets for the Tattoo (22h30) so I suspect that we won't be getting back to the South Queensferry jetty until closer to 01h00. I'm expect that there will be others aboard doing the same thing, but it's also pretty late to be running tender service as well. If I need to book an hotel for the evening, I'd just prefer to know now, versus the day of.

I've called HAL and (not surprisingly) have received contradictory answers from their front-line CSRs.

Scott.

Not certain ... and seemingly impossible to find Port Authority information online to even ascertain a schedule of who else might be there? With Eurodam's air draught of 172', I don't think you made it into SQ though (??), as the Firth of Forth rail line is only suspended 158' above the water (or in the words of NASCAR® you were seriously trading paint!) Are you sure you didn't come in at the Leith docks? :-) Scott.

... Are you sure you didn't come in at the Leith docks? :-)
Yep, I'm sure. But my mind was in a feeble moment when I posted above. Looking back at photos, we DID tender in. I really didn't remember that. I just knew that when we "got off" we were right across the street from the Hawes Inn.

Don't know if this will help because it might be very different at Queensferry, but when we were in Stockholm over-night and had to tender in, they ran tenders all night as I recall, but less and less frequently as the night wore on. Lots of crew were on those late night trips and we came back from the Stockholm opera very late and had to wait about a half hour for the next one.

We were on the Rotterdam and apparently all the docks were filled so they left us in the middle of the harbor close to town with the most glorious views from the ship on all sides. We were lucky to have lost out on the docks.

We also on the same trip did the tendering in from Queensferry but were not there overnight so I don't know what HAL's over all accomodations are but the crew liked these late night trips too so you might well see the same all night tender services at Queensferry too like we had in Stockholm.

That being said, now I can't remember if we used the ship tenders or a commercial tender service in Queensferry. In Stockholm we used the ship tenders. That could make a difference.

Archived