Dining Companions

Jerry and Shelly

We are on the Solstice in Sept. We enjoy dining with other couples as long as they have positive attitudes (really dislike dinner conversation when our tablemates just complain all the time about what they don't like about the cruise.) And again, sometimes a table for two is nice. How are dining assignments made? Do you need to request something specific? We will have the late seating.

We are on the Solstice in Sept. We enjoy dining with other couples as long as they have positive attitudes (really dislike dinner conversation when our tablemates just complain all the time about what they don't like about the cruise.) And again, sometimes a table for two is nice. How are dining assignments made? Do you need to request something specific? We will have the late seating.

Hi Jerry and Shelly:) when you made your reservation did you request

a large table?. They have the ages of folks from the reservations.

As for requesting something specific? Did you mean the size of the

table you prefer? Or the same pier group (age wise?) I always have

late seating and request a large table.

How are the assignments made? Actually they are done very close

to sailing with one of the Maitr'ds on board the ship. If people have

special requests they are usually emailed to the ship.

If you do a search on here you will find quite a few threads about

dining/tablemates, etc.

Many folks prefer to sit alone, while others enjoy the comraderie

of tablemates. I sail solo and always request a large table. An 8 top

is nice:)

Thanks Lois. We only requested late seating when we made reservations. I did not know that you could make requests at that time. An 8-top would be perfect.

Did you book through a Travel Agent or directly with X?

If the first, they should have asked you what size table you prefer.

If you booked through the cruiseline you can call them back and they

can make a notation on your reservation.

Then, after you board the ship you can go see the Maitr'd and confirm

it:)

When in Sept are you sailing? I am going Sept 5th.

WE've always enjoyed out tablemates....it's really what YOU make of it! We request a large table (in case some don't show!, and sometimes, they don't!!!) so that we will have others to talk to!

They won't put families with couples/singles...but that's about as far as they go. If you don't enjoy the folks you meet, request a change....but for the most part, I've found that everyone is out to have a good time....you're vacationing, after all...so everyone can get along for a couple hours a night!

cb, yes they will put families with couples:eek:/singles....I am solo and

have been seated with couples AND families before. Your information

is incorrect.

Depending on the other people, some have been very nice and

welcoming and other times I have requested a change.

Jerry and Shelly, put a request in for an 8 top if that sounds more to

your liking:)

I agree that it's what you make of it. On our last cruise (only a 3 nighter) we were seated at a table for 8 - but the other 6 people were part of a larger group - I think they had 4 or 5 tables all together. And, to add to that, some were speaking Spanish. We thought we were going to have to change tables or just speak to each other for the 3 nights but I started asking the guy next to me some questions (which is how I learned it was such a large group) and before you know it, we were all chatting with each other. If I had not made the first step toward conversation, we might have had a much different dining experience.

Did you book through a Travel Agent or directly with X?

If the first, they should have asked you what size table you prefer.

If you booked through the cruiseline you can call them back and they

can make a notation on your reservation.

Then, after you board the ship you can go see the Maitr'd and confirm

it:)

When in Sept are you sailing? I am going Sept 5th.

We booked through Costco Travel and they never mentioned requesting a table size.

We are on the September 26 sailing.

On a 2 week cruise a few years ago we sat with some folks from England. We've stayed in touch with them and they have come and spent a couple of weeks staying with us while we showed them Chicago. In about 2 months we leave to spend a couple of weeks with them.

So, close friendships can be made at the dinner table!

We booked through Costco Travel and they never mentioned requesting a table size.

We are on the September 26 sailing.

Hi:), just an FYI....naming Travel Agents is prohibited on here but

I would call them back and have them make a notation on your

reservation if you want that 8 top.

Hope you have a great cruise:D I go on Sept 5th.

Not only can you request a table size, you can also request an age group. I didn't know this until our cruise agent mentioned it a couple of cruises ago. They will try to place you with a group near your age if you want.

Although I firmly believe a cruise is whatever you make of it, we had one somewhat unpleasant group of table mates in 2003. We had requested an 8 top and was seated with five people, two married couples and a single young woman. On the first evening while trying to get to know each other, they announced that the two men were NYC firefighters who had responded to 9/11, and the young woman with the group had lost her husband, who was a firefighter, in the aftermath. Not only was it a very somber experience dining with them each evening, they actually had the gall to tell us and everyone else sitting around our table who they were and how they were better than the rest of us because of what they had gone through. The young woman who had lost her husband could do little but cry each evening since it had been only 19 months since he had died and the other two wives spent most of each dinner getting drunk. By the fourth evening, DW and I decided to tell the waiter we would be dining in alternative venues for the remainder of the cruise since it was becoming increasingly difficult to have an enjoyable dinner and evening with these people.

On our next cruise, we are trying Select Dining, looking at pot luck for our table mates. We'll get someone new each evening other than our best friends with whom we are sailing.

Not only can you request a table size, you can also request an age group. I didn't know this until our cruise agent mentioned it a couple of cruises ago. They will try to place you with a group near your age if you want.

Although I firmly believe a cruise is whatever you make of it, we had one somewhat unpleasant group of table mates in 2003. We had requested an 8 top and was seated with five people, two married couples and a single young woman. On the first evening while trying to get to know each other, they announced that the two men were NYC firefighters who had responded to 9/11, and the young woman with the group had lost her husband, who was a firefighter, in the aftermath. Not only was it a very somber experience dining with them each evening, they actually had the gall to tell us and everyone else sitting around our table who they were and how they were better than the rest of us because of what they had gone through. The young woman who had lost her husband could do little but cry each evening since it had been only 19 months since he had died and the other two wives spent most of each dinner getting drunk. By the fourth evening, DW and I decided to tell the waiter we would be dining in alternative venues for the remainder of the cruise since it was becoming increasingly difficult to have an enjoyable dinner and evening with these people.

On our next cruise, we are trying Select Dining, looking at pot luck for our table mates. We'll get someone new each evening other than our best friends with whom we are sailing.

Well, try not to be so harsh. Those who were directly involved in 9/11 are not who even they would want to be anymore.

But in any event, if anyone has difficulty with table mates the best thing to do is to request a change of table. =Or= Select which provides you with the freedom to not be required to dine with the same people, unless you all want to.

Try not to be so harsh? Why not try not to be so judgmental, yourself. You seem to consistently be one of the first to find fault with posts and begin to throw flames. I wasn't being harsh; I was telling the facts as they were, and to be pc, I didn't share all the details that made us decide to change dining venues. I have a great deal of respect for those who assisted in that tragedy and appreciate what they went through, but I am not interested in anyone, regardless of what they have been through, detracting from my cruise by being loud, boisterous and drunk.

Try not to be so harsh? Why not try not to be so judgmental, yourself. You seem to consistently be one of the first to find fault with posts and begin to throw flames. I wasn't being harsh; I was telling the facts as they were, and to be pc, I didn't share all the details that made us decide to change dining venues. I have a great deal of respect for those who assisted in that tragedy and appreciate what they went through, but I am not interested in anyone, regardless of what they have been through, detracting from my cruise by being loud, boisterous and drunk.

That was kind of my point in the original post. We have been seated on other cruises with people who truly made our dinner experiences much more enjoyable. But on our last cruise, we were seated with two couples who did nothing but complain about the cruise, the food, and how bored they were. It really brought us down. So it is kind of a catch-22, you want to dine with others, but you don't want to get stuck with people who are completely noncompatible.

And BTW, we have been on 6 previous cruises, and I don't ever recall requesting the size of the table to dine at. On 5 of the cruises, we were sat with a diversity of tablemates, and on 1 cruise, we sat at our own table for 2. This will be our first cruise with Celebrity.

We have only been on 3 cruises. On the 1st cruise we had delightful people. A young couple celebrating their 5th anniv, a middle aged couple retired military and a couple from Belgium. Great time had by all. On the 14 day we again had delightful time wiht couple from North Carolina a and English couple. In June the other 3 couples were 5-10 years older than us and we had a great time. With many laughs and minimal complaints. We did on the 3 cruises switched chairs so we all had a chance to sit next to others at our table. My suggestion pick a 8 top and enjoy the new people you meet.

How are the assignments made? Actually they are done very close

to sailing with one of the Maitr'ds on board the ship. If people have

special requests they are usually emailed to the ship.

cb, yes they will put families with couples:eek:/singles....I am solo and

have been seated with couples AND families before. Your information

is incorrect.

Sorry, Lois, but YOUR information is ALSO incorrect.

The Maitr'd has NOTHING to do with the original table assingments. There is a whole department in the Corporate Offices in Miami that does that.

I have been in direct contact with that department and was amazed at how much information they put into the computer program (it's kind of like the dating sites that have 37 different criteria to find compatibility).

They not only consider age but also:

primary language, how many times you cruised, your occupation, number in group, Where you are from (state or country), whether you are celebrating anniversary or B-day, Honeymooners, and many more.

The Cruise Lines know a lot more about you than you realize. ;)

Of course, there are slip-ups from time to time, and the program burps out something that doesn't work. THAT'S when the Maitr'd (actually his staff)gets involved and will change your seating to make everyone happy.

Hope This Helps.

I think all the pc stuff went out the window with the orignal details and then the augmented details. My comments were sincere and not flames. I myself could never refer to anyone who had to endure those issues as being 'galling' particularly if there was someone who was crying every night. I was right here when it all happened. Its different for those who were here and lived it so closely. So understand that it was a put off to me to read such a characterization and that's my opinion under the circumstances you described but it certainly was not for argument if that is your suggestion.,

I do agree though that if and when there are people who detract from a cruise the thing to do is get up and relocate as a simple solution.

The Maitr'd has NOTHING to do with the original table assingments. There is a whole department in the Corporate Offices in Miami that does that.

I have been in direct contact with that department and was amazed at how much information they put into the computer program (it's kind of like the dating sites that have 37 different criteria to find compatibility).

primary language, how many times you cruised, your occupation, number in group, Where you are from (state or country), whether you are celebrating anniversary or B-day, Honeymooners, and many more.

Of course, there are slip-ups from time to time, and the program burps out something that doesn't work. THAT'S when the Maitr'd (actually his staff)gets involved and will change your seating to make everyone happy.

Hope This Helps.

I am constantly amazed at how well they get it right. Think about it, thousands and thousands and thousands and so few that come here and complain about how things turned out. More often than not the majority can say they had a grand time and have made new friends. I don't know how they do it!

Hope This Helps.

Well, glad you set me straight.:eek: I know as a solo cruiser, they have

put me with families, couples and sometimes other solo cruisers.

There might be a department who handles it but every cruise I have

been on? The Maitr'd is finalizing all those plans made in advance.

So what exactly are your options then for table size?

2, 4, 6 and 8?

If you pick more than 2 and you don't care for the others at the table it seems they will attempt to move you to another table via a request to the Maitr'd - is that correct? One post seemed to imply that your only out would be to go to specialty dining the remainder of the cruise.

Haven't been on X yet so would appreciate some input on the above.

2, 4, 6 and 8?

If you pick more than 2 and you don't care for the others at the table it seems they will attempt to move you to another table via a request to the Maitr'd - is that correct? One post seemed to imply that your only out would be to go to specialty dining the remainder of the cruise.

There are 2, 4, 6, 8 ane yes there are even 10 tops! That is

a BIG table:eek:

Yes, if you and your tablemates don't "click" and you want to move?

Go see him directly after that first dinner and they will be making

lots of changes....it happens every cruise and they try to accomodate

all those requests as best as they can:)...as far as the Specialty

Dining? No way do you have to eat there the rest of the cruise.

The Maitr'd knows there are always table change requests. They

are usually very helpful:)

The Maitre d' (short for Maitre (master) d'Hotel) has free rein to change tables, but I think whomever is responsible for doing the original table assignments is a genius--based on my personal experiences--we have always had such great luck with tablemates!

2, 4, 6 and 8?

Some ships also have tables for 10, but when you request "large" you will most likely get a table for 8.

We always request "Large" because we love to meet people and make new friends.

AND

because the probabilities of a "non-compatable" couple are reduced. If you request table for 4, and the other couple is bad..... well.

But if you have 3 other couples and 2 are great and 1 is bad, that is a better situation to deal with.

I am constantly amazed at how well they get it right. Think about it, thousands and thousands and thousands and so few that come here and complain about how things turned out. More often than not the majority can say they had a grand time and have made new friends. I don't know how they do it!

I agree - there was once when we were at a table for 8 and the other 6 people were a family who spoke some oriental language..... definitely a computer program "burp" (or a bad joke). We went and spoke to the asst maitr'd and fixed it.

But overall, we have always enjoyed our dinner company, and have made friends we kept in touch with for years.

I agree - there was once when we were at a table for 8 and the other 6 people were a family who spoke some oriental language..... definitely a computer program "burp" (or a bad joke). We went and spoke to the asst maitr'd and fixed it.

But overall, we have always enjoyed our dinner company, and have made friends we kept in touch with for years.

Our very first cruise was on Meridian. We were at a table for 9 when it was without a doubt a table for 8. I am guessing they thought our two girls were little and were one rather than two adults sized. It was a wee bit too small for the odd man after all and any one of us could have said this isn't working but speaking up were not really viable options then. We all managed with the tight squeeze/legs touching/space invaded and had a great time.

Needless to say, I am an outspoken advocate of table changing if needed and this is the genesis.

If it were now, I'd be asking for another table for space. I have changed and so have my comfort zones.;)

Archived