Will New Sink Faucets Stop Epic's In-Cabin Flooding? Send Us Your Funniest Flood Pics

Dan Askin

We all know the end result of washing your face in one of Epic's cabin ... perfumed cheeks and a puddle on the floor. The faucets are too high, the water pressure too strong, the sinks too shallow. It's dumbfounding how such a design made it through the editing process.

Nevertheless, word from the top is that NCL will be gradually replacing all of Epic's problematic in-cabin faucets (there are no issues in the studio cabins or Courtyard suites) with shorter faucets, and reducing the water pressure ... so H20 doesn't spray off the sink and onto the floor. That amounts to over 1,900 faucets to swap. NCL hopes that'll do the trick, but it'll re-evaluate the situation after the new faucets are installed, and if the cabin flooding continues, the shallow sinks will have to be replaced as well.

During a press conference aboard Epic on July 3, NCL's President and CEO, Kevin Sheehan, noted that the "sinks were a design from years ago, before we came."

"My predecessor [Colin Veitch] wanted a big, high sink so he could fit his tea kettle underneath," he added with a bemused chuckle. He was being serious, said Roberto Martinoli, NCL's soon-to-step-down president and COO, after the press conference.

While there's still time, we'd very much like for Epic cruisers to send us your funniest in-cabin flood photos. Post them here or send them to dan@cruisecritic.com.

Norwegian-Epic-Cabin-Sink.jpg

Interesting the current leadership is blaming the old regime for some of the design deficiencies with EPIC. That is a little tacky IMO. Also, the President and COO of NCL, Roberto Martinoli, will be leaving the line and moving to Italy effective August 1st. He will still be involved with NCL in a "consulting" role but has accepted a CEO position at a European ferry operator based out of Genoa. It's a little unfortunate for NCL as they recruited him from Carnival and he is a very talented individual. Chalk up another senior executive change at NCL. I'm not sure what it is about the corporate culture at NCL, but they certainly have difficulties retaining talent.

Back to the sinks, if the design was "a couple years old", surely NCL had the opportunity to change them before now? They certainly changed enough other aspects of the ship. My guess is that basically no one paid attention until they became an issue on the first cruises with passengers. Too bad. It's difficult to believe such an important and practical detail could go overlooked.

Ernie

I must be getting old. Since when is an in-cabin flood considered funny?

Haven't been on Norwegian and don't plan to do so. This seems like the type of problem that should have been identified before the initial sailing.

So why come to the Norwegian board?

Why' date=' it seems to be okay for our President to do the same thing?[/color']

PE

If your predecessr ruins your company / country, why wouldn't you point the finger at them?

Nevertheless, word from the top is that NCL will be gradually replacing all of Epic's problematic in-cabin faucets (there are no issues in the studio cabins or Courtyard suites) with shorter faucets, and reducing the water pressure ... so H20 doesn't spray off the sink and onto the floor. That amounts to over 1,900 faucets to swap. NCL hopes that'll do the trick, but it'll re-evaluate the situation after the new faucets are installed, and if the cabin flooding continues, the shallow sinks will have to be replaced as well.

Let's see if they learn from the mistakes from the old regime. If they wait until after they replace all 1,900 faucets to reevaluate the situation, then they've learned nothing. If the new faucets don't resolve the problem, they should be able to tell by testing them in a model on land. If they seem to work, then they can install them in a select number of cabins and test again. If the faucets do resolve the problem, then they can install the remaining. If they don't resolve the problem, then they can replace the sinks and faucets at the same time.

1. You're a fan of a different line

2. You can't afford a cruise

3. MIL slips in puddle and falls on her bumstead

4. It's accompanied by choice language and/or an expression we've never heard before

5. It's on youtube

6. You're one of my sons (8 and 6, you know how they are with water!!!)

7. ?

Interesting the current leadership is blaming the old regime for some of the design deficiencies with EPIC. That is a little tacky IMO. Also, the President and COO of NCL, Roberto Martinoli, will be leaving the line and moving to Italy effective August 1st. He will still be involved with NCL in a "consulting" role but has accepted a CEO position at a European ferry operator based out of Genoa. It's a little unfortunate for NCL as they recruited him from Carnival and he is a very talented individual. Chalk up another senior executive change at NCL. I'm not sure what it is about the corporate culture at NCL, but they certainly have difficulties retaining talent.

Back to the sinks, if the design was "a couple years old", surely NCL had the opportunity to change them before now? They certainly changed enough other aspects of the ship. My guess is that basically no one paid attention until they became an issue on the first cruises with passengers. Too bad. It's difficult to believe such an important and practical detail could go overlooked.

Ernie

All I can say is: :rolleyes:

Haven't been on Norwegian and don't plan to do so. This seems like the type of problem that should have been identified before the initial sailing.

So why are you here then ?

While there's still time, we'd very much like for Epic cruisers to send us your funniest in-cabin flood photos. Post them here or send them to...

The area around the sink and shower are is relatively small compared to the rest of the stateroom, and leads to the carpeted area of the stateroom.

I truly hope no one intentionally tries to flood out a cabin for the sole purpose of posting a picture here, or attempt to do so for the purpose of posting a video on YouTube of their family member or friend slipping and falling potentially causing serious physical harm. A ship is not a place to play practical jokes like slipping in a puddle of water.*

What an incredibly irresponsible request.

We all know the end result of washing your face in one of Epic's cabin ... perfumed cheeks and a puddle on the floor. The faucets are too high, the water pressure too strong, the sinks too shallow. It's dumbfounding how such a design made it through the editing process.

During a press conference aboard Epic on July 3, NCL's President and CEO, Kevin Sheehan, noted that the "sinks were a design from years ago, before we came."

"My predecessor [Colin Veitch] wanted a big, high sink so he could fit his tea kettle underneath," he added with a bemused chuckle. He was being serious, said Roberto Martinoli, NCL's soon-to-step-down president and COO, after the press conference.

While there's still time, we'd very much like for Epic cruisers to send us your funniest in-cabin flood photos. Post them here or send them to dan@cruisecritic.com.

Norwegian-Epic-Cabin-Sink.jpg

.....I looked at the picture and found nothing funny about it at all. :confused:

Dan, maybe you could tell me what makes it so funny so I can enjoy the joke too?

I plan on sailing Epic January 2011. Just waiting for some reviews from the inaugural sailings.

wasiii

While there's still time, we'd very much like for Epic cruisers to send us your funniest in-cabin flood photos. Post them here or send them to...

The area around the sink and shower are is relatively small compared to the rest of the stateroom, and leads to the carpeted area of the stateroom.

I truly hope no one intentionally tries to flood out a cabin for the sole purpose of posting a picture here, or attempt to do so for the purpose of posting a video on YouTube of their family member or friend slipping and falling potentially causing serious physical harm. A ship is not a place to play practical jokes like slipping in a puddle of water.*

What an incredibly irresponsible request.

That hadn't occured to me at all, but now that you mention it, good idea!

Time to start planning...

.....I looked at the picture and found nothing funny about it at all. :confused:

Dan, maybe you could tell me what makes it so funny so I can enjoy the joke too?

I plan on sailing Epic January 2011. Just waiting for some reviews from the inaugural sailings.

wasiii

Hi wasiii,

It's not so much funny "haha" as it is "funny" in the head-scratching sense (huh!?). We're all amazed that the line didn't decide to fix the sink/faucet issue before Epic debuted -- and now, during reasonable usage (face and hand washing without ulterior motives), water ends up on the floor and around the sink.

We have 30-plus member reviews of the ship at this point -- from readers who sailed on the pre-inaugurals and maiden transatlantic cruises. You can find them here.

That hadn't occured to me at all, but now that you mention it, good idea!

Time to start planning...

Sure, then when you flood out your cabin as a silly practical joke and NCL has a team of folks in there wet-vac'ing your carpet dry and your're kicked out of your cabin, thats going to be real funny! Hey, I'm LMAO right now. :D;):rolleyes::p:D

It still is beyond my feeble little brain why somebody did not think to TEST these new cabins before building 2,000 of them. When they recently reworked a few different ships they could have build a few of these new cabins, toilets, showers, sinks, and all to see how it worked.

Process Mgmt 101!

It still is beyond my feeble little brain why somebody did not think to TEST these new cabins before building 2,000 of them. When they recently reworked a few different ships they could have build a few of these new cabins, toilets, showers, sinks, and all to see how it worked.

Process Mgmt 101!

Exactly............I keep thinking the same thing about the sink and (heaven forbid I should mention it) but the shower water on the floor!! It sounds like they are having issues with their Test and Development department??!!!:confused::confused:

Process Mgmt 101!

Why bother testing anything...I mean don't the NCL Cheerleads just approve everything anyway? Sure some people may find it objectionable but for ME I don't care as long as I can freestyle...:rolleyes:

BTW weren't the same people who designed the sinks in charge of making sure there is enough drainage on Deck 15 near the water slides?

Archived