Tips for Speciality Dining?

Jerry and Shelly

We noticed that the surcharge for the speciality dining includes gratuities. We have booked Muranos for our upcoming cruise on the Solstice. Is it standard practice to leave an additional tip, or is the tip that is included in the surcharge the expected amount?

Is it standard practice to leave an additional tip, or is the tip that is included in the surcharge the expected amount?

J. and S.,

What is included is all that is expected. It is "standard practice" NOT to leave anything additional. If service is, in your opinion, of a higher-than-standard quality, however, then you may choose to leave something more. Do not feel guilty if you do not leave more. Enjoy yourselves! :)

I have always tipped extra; usually $5 per person extra, once $10 per person (after a nearly four hour marathon dining experience). While the servers do receive a portion of the cover charge, I have been fortunate to have always received outstanding service when eating in the specialty restaurants and felt extra was warranted. In my observation it is common to tip extra in these venues, but certainly is not required.

On Celebrity, I am not sure the "standard practice" is NOT to tip extra. On the Equinox last year, there is actually a special line on the check for extra gratuity for the waiter and another one for the wine steward. I almost always tip extra. These waiters do a great job and deserve a little extra. We are already spending thousands of dollars on a great cruise and it seems a bit "chintzy" not to leave a little bit extra.

We usually find that the experience is so good in the specialty restaraunts that we gladly tip in addition to the upcharge. Depending on when, where, and the nature of the venue the tip is typically an additional $5 - $10 per person.

The cover charge includes a gratuity as well as general charges for the cruise line's cost and profits. It has never been clear what portion of the cover charge is a gratuity.

Whether an additional gratuity is appropriate is a personal decision. Much like the auto tips covering the basic gratuity for the main dining room and stateroom attendants the cover charge provides a minimum basic tip for the Specialty Restaurant staff. Some will want to give additional and some will not and all I'd recommend is that you do what you feel is appropriate based on your beliefs and financial position.

With that said I'll add that we've always had extraordinary service and food in the Specialty Restaurants. Because of this we've always chosen to provide something extra in addition to the gratuity included as part of the cover charge.

I disagree that there is any "standard practice" which would discourage additional tips. However, I do agree that since the cover charge includes a minimum gratuity that it is not required that one tip additional if one does not personally think it is appropriate.

We have been in several speciality restaurants on the M class ships. Some nights there are hardly any guests eating there and the workers do a fantastic job of serving so we normally leave $20 per person over the standard. Its sad to us when 10 -15 couples eat a the restaurant on some nights meaning the staff works for basically nothing all night.

I personally think they should lower the coverage to $25 per person which would increase the attendance by 10x but they probably will not consider it.

Spence

Having sailed on M class ships many times, we grew tired of their specialty restaurant. It just seemed too formal, dinner took forever, and the menu was a holdover from the days of fine French dining. On the S class ships however, you get a choice. We really enjoyed the Tuscan Grill and ate there twice on our last cruise. Now that Celebrity is adding new restaurants on M class ships, I think Celebrity passenegrs will be quite happy.

On Celebrity, I am not sure the "standard practice" is NOT to tip extra. On the Equinox last year, there is actually a special line on the check for extra gratuity for the waiter and another one for the wine steward. I almost always tip extra. These waiters do a great job and deserve a little extra. We are already spending thousands of dollars on a great cruise and it seems a bit "chintzy" not to leave a little bit extra.

Do you get a check even if you pre-paid?

Do you get a check even if you pre-paid?

You can always request one if they do not bring it to you. On one cruise we were given a complimentary meal and were not brought a check. I asked our server to bring me one and was able to add gratuity that way.

We are booked on the Eclipse for 7 days in Dec and since we are waitlisted for the early seating we have taken the option of the dine anytime in the meantime. When we took this option we had to pay $200USD for the two of us for the tips. Does anyone know what the standard tipping amounts are for the stateroom attendant, etc etc? and does this prepaid amount cover ALL our tips? or just the dining room staff. Other web sites say it should be around $11 USD per person per day for ALL tips. Any ideas?

We are booked on the Eclipse for 7 days in Dec and since we are waitlisted for the early seating we have taken the option of the dine anytime in the meantime. When we took this option we had to pay $200USD for the two of us for the tips. Does anyone know what the standard tipping amounts are for the stateroom attendant, etc etc? and does this prepaid amount cover ALL our tips? or just the dining room staff. Other web sites say it should be around $11 USD per person per day for ALL tips. Any ideas?

The pre-paid gratuties cover both the stateroom attendant as well as the main dining room staff. If you order room service (and it is not brought by your room steward) most people tip (cash) to the person that delivers their food. Otherwise all your basic gratuities are covered. Many people give some extra $$$ to people at the end of their cruise who they felt went above and beyond, but this is not required.

Having sailed on M class ships many times, we grew tired of their specialty restaurant. It just seemed too formal, dinner took forever, and the menu was a holdover from the days of fine French dining. On the S class ships however, you get a choice. We really enjoyed the Tuscan Grill and ate there twice on our last cruise. Now that Celebrity is adding new restaurants on M class ships, I think Celebrity passenegrs will be quite happy.

Ditto that .We had dinner in both the Tuscan Grill & the oriental speciality restauarants on the Equinox. Both meals were fabulous ;but ,the Tuscan Grill I would rate 5 star & well worth the xtra cost .

Here is a link to Celebrity's web site with info on the standard daily tips (Click Here), basically the tips cover the main dining room staff (who also work the buffet areas) and your stateroom staff. It does not cover bar staff nor the specialty restaurant staff or other personnel. Bar staff are tipped with a 15% automatic add-on to any drink tab and the specialty restaurant staff are discussed above. The prepaid tips you paid when you signed up for Select Dining cover all the standard daily tips mentioned in the link above.

So if Tuscan Grille is $30pp the bill will be just that, $30 which includes tip, right? What about Bistro on 5? Will the bill say $5 or will it be $5 plus $15?

Sorry, I'm new to this.:o

So if Tuscan Grille is $30pp the bill will be just that, $30 which includes tip, right? ... Sorry, I'm new to this.:o

Right. The $30 includes a service charge (which some call a tip or gratuity). In other words, the price of the meal is actually about $26, and the other $4 is a service charge (i.e., a "forced tip") -- although this is not mentioned in so many words. You will have a chance to add an actual tip, if you decide that one has been merited (above and beyond the 15% you have already paid).

At Bistro On Five, the fee is $5, including service charge (forced tip).

Now, before anybody comes down on me like a ton of bricks, I will pre-emptively defend myself by saying that I have almost always left a generous genuine tip -- i.e., always when deserved, but not when not deserved. [On Millie, for a meal priced at $60, for example, I left a $30 tip.] I insist, however, that OP ("Jerry and Shelly") should NOT be made to feel guilty about leaving $0.00 extra, because a "forced tip" is already included by X, probably because too many people were forgetting to leave anything at all.

The pre-paid gratuties cover both the stateroom attendant as well as the main dining room staff. If you order room service (and it is not brought by your room steward) most people tip (cash) to the person that delivers their food. Otherwise all your basic gratuities are covered. Many people give some extra $$$ to people at the end of their cruise who they felt went above and beyond, but this is not required.

I think that your statement " most people tip (cash) to the person that delivers their food" is an assumption about passenger's tipping room service and not necessarily a fact. If you read the tipping guide you can see where it is allowed for without specifically stating. Room service does get a portion of the tips that are prepaid. On Princess, it was not expected that you tip room service and I didn't always tip room service. In my estimation, they need to provide just a bit of extra service for a tip above the basic gratuities.

Additionally, I called my travel agent and she said that the basic gratuity also covered room service. So, one should not feel guilty if the decision is not to tip room service extra, but by all means tip if you so desire.

I think that your statement " most people tip (cash) to the person that delivers their food" is an assumption about passenger's tipping room service and not necessarily a fact. If you read the tipping guide you can see where it is allowed for without specifically stating. Room service does get a portion of the tips that are prepaid. On Princess, it was not expected that you tip room service and I didn't always tip room service. In my estimation, they need to provide just a bit of extra service for a tip above the basic gratuities.

Additionally, I called my travel agent and she said that the basic gratuity also covered room service. So, one should not feel guilty if the decision is not to tip room service extra, but by all means tip if you so desire.

You are 100% wrong. Room service personnel are not included in the standard tips and yes, most people do tip in cash for room service - that is a fact, not an opinion. Please do not mislead people.

You are 100% wrong. Room service personnel are not included in the standard tips and yes, most people do tip in cash for room service - that is a fact, not an opinion. Please do not mislead people.

Sorry Gonzo, I talked to my TAs today and know you are wrong. This is the same for Princess. You can say what you want but it does not make you right. On top of which room service is providing a service and if they weren't covered you can bet that the cruise line would be telling you what was expected. X either does that for everything else or forces the tip if they think it might not be given.

If you would like to produce the/your body of research that bears out your "facts" I'm here to read/listen. However, don't just bring them here; take them to celebrity and let them know that they are doing a disservice to room service and they need to make it absolutely clear that room service is not included in the standard tips.

Sorry Gonzo, I talked to my TAs today and know you are wrong. This is the same for Princess. You can say what you want but it does not make you right. On top of which room service is providing a service and if they weren't covered you can bet that the cruise line would be telling you what was expected. X either does that for everything else or forces the tip if they think it might not be given.

If you would like to produce the/your body of research that bears out your "facts" I'm here to read/listen. However, don't just bring them here; take them to celebrity and let them know that they are doing a disservice to room service and they need to make it absolutely clear that room service is not included in the standard tips.

Since 90% or so know to tip room service, Celebrity is not doing them a disservice and there is no need to contact them. If you want to be cheap and stiff the staff, that is on you. Fortunately most people here know you are wrong.

Since 90% or so know to tip room service, Celebrity is not doing them a disservice and there is no need to contact them. If you want to be cheap and stiff the staff, that is on you. Fortunately most people here know you are wrong.

That's what I thought. :rolleyes:

We went to the Normandy on the Summit and Ocen Liners on the Connie. We gladly tipped extra as these venues were the best specialty venues on the high seas (imho). Have yet to sail on the S class and have heard lots of exciteing positive comments about them. Hopefully a cruise on an S class is in our crui9sing future.....:):):)

Bob

Archived