Need port help with ST Thomas

My dream cruise is turning into not so dreamy :( We were going to Coral World and while there snorkel. After reading so much bad press on the Coki beach area and safety I have decided not to go there with our family.

Can anyone suggest something safe near the port that would include a beach area and something fun for our 19 and 22 yrs olds?

Thanks!

Jump on the ferry to St. John and snorkel the fabulous Trunk Bay. It's one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. It has a marked underwater snorkeling trail.

Totally agree!

Jump on the ferry to St. John and snorkel the fabulous Trunk Bay. It's one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. It has a marked underwater snorkeling trail.

This would be my personal choice if not having prior arrangements. Trunk Bay is the most beautiful area I have ever seen. Some are fearful of not getting back to ship on time.

Tim

I agree with the suggestion to go to St Johns We have done it thru the cruise lines as well as doing it on our own and never had a problem getting back. The Ferry runs hourly:):)

Trunk Bay Is A US National park has snack Bar or you can stop at the supermarket before you go on the ferry. Hope this helps

I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Trunk Bay!!

Nothing else interests me on St. Thomas. Tried most of it.

If this is your first time there and not sure how to get around, take the Ship's Excursion, They offer Beach and Snorkeling at Trunk Bay, leave with a group from the ship.

If you are concerned about the safety of St. Thomas, RCI offers some great snorkeling, hiking and beach excursions from the port that take you to the beautiful and tranquil island of St. John. There is also a dolphin encounter excursion to Tortola, a magnificent island in the British Virgin Islands. I am considering these options when my teenage children and I visit St. Thomas on the Freedom of the Seas the week of August 1. To be fair, crime and tragedies can happen in any port -- that's the sad reality -- but elected representatives of St. Thomas acknowledge that gang violence and drugs have escalated. By the way, I contacted RCI about the situation in St. Thomas and I received this reply, which I believe was an appropriate response. Here it is:

Dear Mr. Doherty:

Thank you for your email.

We sincerely regret to learn of the incident that occurred at Coki Beach at St. Thomas. Our deepest condolences go with the surviving family members of the guest onboard the Carnival Victory."

We understand your concerns regarding the escalation in unrest in St. Thomas and appreciate this opportunity to respond.

Rest assured that your safety is our highest priority. Royal Caribbean International has security measures in place for every port of call, and St. Thomas is no exception. We constantly re-evaluate our security measures and modify them as needed. We will continue to monitor events in St. Thomas and assess their potential impact on the safety of our guests. If Royal Caribbean International feels it is unsafe for our guests and crew members to visit a particular port of call, the appropriate adjustments to the ship's scheduled itinerary will be made. Plesae continue to visit our website at http://www.royalcaribbean.com for any updates.

Mr. Doherty, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Dayna Bolton

Customer Service Representative

If you are concerned about the safety of St. Thomas, RCI offers some great snorkeling, hiking and beach excursions from the port that take you to the beautiful and tranquil island of St. John. There is also a dolphin encounter excursion to Tortola, a magnificent island in the British Virgin Islands. I am considering these options when my teenage children and I visit St. Thomas on the Freedom of the Seas the week of August 1. To be fair, crime and tragedies can happen in any port -- that's the sad reality -- but elected representatives of St. Thomas acknowledge that gang violence and drugs have escalated. By the way, I contacted RCI about the situation in St. Thomas and I received this reply, which I believe was an appropriate response. Here it is:

Dear Mr. Doherty:

We sincerely regret to learn of the incident that occurred at Coki Beach at St. Thomas. Our deepest condolences go with the surviving family members of the guest onboard the Carnival Victory."

We understand your concerns regarding the escalation in unrest in St. Thomas and appreciate this opportunity to respond.

Rest assured that your safety is our highest priority. Royal Caribbean International has security measures in place for every port of call, and St. Thomas is no exception. We constantly re-evaluate our security measures and modify them as needed. We will continue to monitor events in St. Thomas and assess their potential impact on the safety of our guests. If Royal Caribbean International feels it is unsafe for our guests and crew members to visit a particular port of call, the appropriate adjustments to the ship's scheduled itinerary will be made. Plesae continue to visit our website at www.royalcaribbean.com for any updates.

Mr. Doherty, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Dayna Bolton

I second Tortola, it was AWESOME :)

Dear Mr. Doherty:

Sincerely,

Dayna Bolton

Kind of off topic and not trying to cause issues. I am a loyal RCCL customer, never cruised anyone else, but WHY did Ms. Bolton have to reference Carnival in the letter. I feel it was a slam against them. Not the place for it as far as I am concerned.

Tim

I second Magen's Bay. That is one of the most gorgeous beaches I've ever been on, and I never felt unsafe there.

Like the other posters have said, St. John is also beautiful. Definitely one of my favorite cruise destinations, although I haven't been there in quite a long time.

All that aside, though, I've been to St. Thomas several times, it is my favorite port. I have never felt unsafe there and it is so unfortunate to hear of the shooting. It definitely wouldn't deter me from visiting the island, but I'd go there with an increased awareness, just to be safe.

Kind of off topic and not trying to cause issues. I am a loyal RCCL customer, never cruised anyone else, but WHY did Ms. Bolton have to reference Carnival in the letter. I feel it was a slam against them. Not the place for it as far as I am concerned.

Dohertm1 didn't provide us with the inquiry he sent RCI, but I can surmise from the response that the Carnival guest may have been mentioned specifically, so Ms. Bolton was offering specific condolences in return. I didn't find any malice in it.

Dohertm1 didn't provide us with the inquiry he sent RCI, but I can surmise from the response that the Carnival guest may have been mentioned specifically, so Ms. Bolton was offering specific condolences in return. I didn't find any malice in it.

You are probably right it just kind of hit me the wrong way at that particular moment.

Tim

I've never been snorkeling except near the edge of the beach area.... Can someone explain why there are health restrictions up for people with diabeties or asthma? I have RAD a form of asthma and hubby and I are non insulin diabetics...

Could you explain how far you swim away from the sailboat and how much exerction(sp) is used?

Thanks,

L

The trail sounds interesting. How did you find it? Any other additional info would be appreciated.

I agree with the suggestion to go to St Johns We have done it thru the cruise lines as well as doing it on our own and never had a problem getting back. The Ferry runs hourly:):)

Trunk Bay Is A US National park has snack Bar or you can stop at the supermarket before you go on the ferry. Hope this helps

We recommend the ships excursion to St John. You walk to the ferry on the same pier as your ship. The ride over to the island is very informative about the islands history.

There is plenty of time for shopping, eating, or beaching...

We were in St.Thomas last yr on the EOS. We took a private day sail with Highpockets Day Sails. Capt. Kathleen was awesome. I may be wrong but we docked in Havensight and took a taxi to Red Hook where we boarded her sailboat. While at Red Hook we saw the St.John Ferry leave from there. It was an all day sail, went to St.John and several smaller islands to snorkel and she cooked a fabulous lunch for us with all drinks included while we swam on a beautiful beach with just us 6 people. It was great!!

We were in St.Thomas last yr on the EOS. We took a private day sail with Highpockets Day Sails. Capt. Kathleen was awesome. I may be wrong but we docked in Havensight and took a taxi to Red Hook where we boarded her sailboat. While at Red Hook we saw the St.John Ferry leave from there. It was an all day sail, went to St.John and several smaller islands to snorkel and she cooked a fabulous lunch for us with all drinks included while we swam on a beautiful beach with just us 6 people. It was great!!

Aggie, this sounds great!!!! Do you remember about how much this cost. I looked at their website and you have to contact them for info. Just curious the price range.

Thanks!!!

Archived