Running out of food? and other dining questions.

heyabbott

I have never experienced HAL running out of steak until my Rotterdam cruise last March. It was at the BBQ, not only did they run out of steak early on, like within 45 minutes of the start of the buffet, but they ran out of ribs and salmon as well. Possibly poor planning by the kitchen, not sure what happened, but that was certainly a first. I also noticed that they didn't have two side of the buffet line to go through, only one side, which made for alot of congestion. That was a first for me, hope they learned and have changed back to the 2 lines for buffet, and more steaks, ribs and salmon.

With no ribs, salmon or steaks......what did they serve you for dinner?

Just the 'side dishes'?

Did they make no effort to provide you with something for an entree?

I know you are a very reliable person and know your posts are accurate so I am trying to imagine the chefs standing behind the grill saying.....sorry, you do not eat tonight; we ran out of food? Please 'fill in the rest of the story'. I am curious.

Most likely South African lobster. :rolleyes:

WE've never encountered a menu item that we've ordered being out of stock. Still, anything's possible :rolleyes:

FWW... For our Captain's Farewell Dinner we had what was termed "New England Lobster Tails", which indeed were just that and delicious at that...:)

just as long as they don't run out of bourbon I can get along fine.. *S*

Mike--

I'm with you there...

They didn't have Maker's Mark at the Lido Bar for sailaway on my Alaska cruise - They sure didn't make that mistake the rest of the week...:eek:

I'm not sure I've met too many other Maker's Mark fans.

This will make you weep. They used to be a sponsor of an event I was involved in. I used to get it for free. :cool: Boy, I miss that company, and I can't say I drink it as much as I used too.

I always enjoyed watching folks meet up with that dipped neck for the first time. Great spectator sport!

have either of you tried knob creek?? goes down AWFULLY smooth.. not that makers is shabby in any way.. but give knob creek a try if you haven't.. about $35 a fifth up here in michigan.. so I get mine at AH Riise when in St Thomas (seems the last bottle was $19)

have either of you tried knob creek?? goes down AWFULLY smooth.. not that makers is shabby in any way.. but give knob creek a try if you haven't.. about $35 a fifth up here in michigan.. so I get mine at AH Riise when in St Thomas (seems the last bottle was $19)

I've tried it. Wasn't all that impressed, though. Still, one could do a lot worse!:)

Several years ago (4-97) on Sky Princess, Osaka to Vancouver, we ran out of some veggies, ice cream, and whole milk. Several of the pre-positioned containers did not make it to the dock.

When we arrived at Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians, crew members for the Purser's Office, and chefs, "raided" the local grocery store, and bought a lot of food.

Running out of food, while not common, is not unheard of.

On the Noordam Steak buffet night they had almost no steaks! But what they had they graciously held for the crew :mad: so the passengers had none! They promised to bring me one so I could start on my baked potato but it never arrived! Oh well, guess I didn't need it!

What! The crew does not eat at the BBQ - this post doesn't even make sense. The crew does not even have the same menu as the pax!

If you are bound and determined to continue to slam HAL at every opportunity - at least be factual. :mad:

What! The crew does not eat at the BBQ - this post doesn't even make sense. The crew does not even have the same menu as the pax!

If you are bound and determined to continue to slam HAL at every opportunity - at least be factual. :mad:

I have no idea what went on at ExpCruiser's BBQue, but the officers DO eat meals everyday in the Lido, in fact there is a large table reserved for them, and also at the BBQue, so he may have well been referring to uniformed officers instead of crew. In that case his post makes sense.

I have no idea what went on at ExpCruiser's BBQue, but the officers DO eat meals everyday in the Lido, in fact there is a large table reserved for them, and also at the BBQue, so he may have well been referring to uniformed officers instead of crew. In that case his post makes sense.

He did not say Officers, he said crew. There is a difference, imo. Also, the Officers and staff eat in the Lido before dinner is served to the pax - there would be no reason to "hold" food for them once dinner was being served to the pax.

ekerr19- He did not say Officers, he said crew. There is a difference, imo. Also, the Officers and staff eat in the Lido before dinner is served to the pax - there would be no reason to "hold" food for them once dinner was being served to the pax.

HeatherInFlorida- Yup, you're absolutely right Laura ... big difference between "officers" and "crew". And the term used was "crew".

Hmmm. I was just trying to give ExpCruiser the benefit of the doubt that he meant 'officers' were eating at the BBQ in the Lido and not the actual crew, who we all know do eat in their own dining room. So what is it you are trying to say without actually saying it- that ExpCruiser is lying?

[quote name='peaches from georgia']....................

[color=darkred]Hmmm. I was just trying to give ExpCruiser the benefit of the doubt that he meant 'officers' were eating at the BBQ in the Lido and not the actual crew, who we all know do eat in their own dining room. So what is it you are trying to say without actually saying it- that ExpCruiser is lying? [/color][/QUOTE]

[font=Comic Sans MS]This is difficult, Peaches, because as I stated I never mention a particular poster individually nor do I generally direct a response to any one poster. I explained my reasons for this. I've been asked not to do it.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]But you asked me a question. ExpCruiser is also an experienced poster and knows a lot about cruising and has told us this. So you need not assume he meant "officers" when he said "crew". I'm sure he (or she) does know the difference.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]At no time did I suggest even for a second that ExpCruiser is "lying". Lying about what? All I said was that the word was clearly "crew" when you corrected Laura. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I have to admit complete confusion about your question ... [/font]

[quote name='peaches from georgia'][color=darkred]So what is it you are trying to say without actually saying it- that ExpCruiser is lying? [/color][/QUOTE]

Absolutely not! I think ExpCruiser may be exaggerating the events - but he has yet to provide anything concrete. He has been on two HAL cruises according to his posts on other threads. Both cruises absolutely miserable... every possible thing that could go wrong, apparently did - but he won't give any detail. Just posts how bad things were and leaves it. Then comes back and chimes in on another thread about how miserable his cruises were...

His statement on this thread is very inconsistent to any of my experiences on HAL and in my mind it is inaccurate. The staff and officers dine before the pax in the Lido - there is not reason the cook or chef would "hold" food for the staff or crew (as he put it) once the pax dinner commenced. As you stated, the crew do dine in their own dining room and eat food that is prepared more in accordance with their local custom.

I, for one am getting tired of seeing the "bash and run" posts - the slamming of HAL by those who've yet to even cruise on HAL, the name calling (shill, KoolAid drinker, etc.) and the inconsistent versions of some of these "terrible" events. I have posted my fair share of negative occurances on HAL, mostly in regard to our cruise on the Zui - being factual and accurate about an experience lends credibility to the poster - "bash and run" does not - in my opinion.

No person should be harrassed or ostracized for posting a negative experience, but at the same time I also believe that no one should be called a KoolAid drinker or HAL shill because they have a good experience.

YIKES didn't mean to cause a stir . . . did make an error, staff not crew.

Here are the FACTS . . . arrived at the outdoor cook out, got my non meat dishes and the last steaks got served to my group in front of me. Someone arrived with more. There was a separate line for the white suited HAL personnel. They received each of the steaks as they were cooked as the pax line increased. After 15 minutes, I asked if they could bring the steak to my table and pointed out where I my group was (I had been the last on line and the only one w/o meat). Well, here it is 13 months later and I'm still waiting! Oh I can hear you all LOL! Perhaps it will arrive with the drinks that never came, the cabin that never got cleaned . . but I digress. Yes I did go to HAL but you all laughed at my 11 page letter. And you laughed at my CD of pix and I can't figure out how to attach the Noordam pix, but the tar and dirt was just disgusting. GLAD none of you have ever had a problem I'm just sharing my experience.

I have been on the Noordam numerous times - please explain what you are alluding to... We never saw your 11-page letter or anything else.

I am a HUGE Noordam fan and I know that ship (crew, staff & Officers) some what intimately so please advise.

I am still not following your post. What pictures are you referring to?

Archived