Victoria help!

DaveOKC

Our ship docks at 10 AM on May 3 and departs at midnight. Part of our group wants to see Burchart Gardens and the other insists on having High Tea at the Empress Hotel (it is from noon to 5 PM).

Can we do both and how would you arrange it? We have a party of 4.

DaveOKC

Even though the Tea is from Noon to 5pm, it doesn't take that long to have the Tea. The actual Tea may take an hour.

I don't have specifics, but I believe you have to make a reservation and be dressed accordingly.

I would check the hours of operation for the Gardens. For me, I would do the Tea from Noon to 1pm...then dress in more comfortable clothes and go to the Gardens.

Both would be very enjoyable.

I'm sure both venues have web sites with lots of information for you, or you could 'google' them to find the websites.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dave, did some investigating for you. Butchart Gardens is only open until 6pm on May 3.

Dress code is strictly enforced for the Afternoon Tea at the Fairmont Empress Hotel, and you must make advanced reservations.

So, you will have to use your time wisely if you want to do both.

The Gardens open at 9am...so you could leave the ship and go right to there till 1 or so.

Go back to the ship, freshen up, change and then head out to Afternoon Tea at 3pm.

This would give you lots of time to see and enjoy both venues. I 'googled' both sites and found out the above info. (just remember to spell correctly).

Hope that helps!

And not to be a poop, it is not "high" tea (which is actually a light supper, although the meaning is different in Scotland and England.) It is closer to a "cream tea." The only thing high about it is the price. Booking definitely needed, especially on cruise ship days.

An even better idea would be to have the your tea (high or otherwise) at Butchart's Gardens. It is way better than the Empress which, quite frankly, is really just a tourist trap. Reservations are required at Butcharts for tea which is held in the main restaurant. Whatever comfortable clothing you are wearing will be fine.

Thanks for the input thus far. Sorry about the spelling errors.

What is the best way to get to both places? Should I rent a car or ? It looks like time will be close no matter how I do it plus you make a great point about the dress codes - I did not think of that!

On car rentals, what is near the dock? Hertz is showing as soldout. Budget has two locations and cars but I do not know which is closer to dock.

Thanks

DaveOKC

Since you have a great deal of time, you can take the city bus? Pick up is on Douglas, behind the Empress and up a few blocks across from MacDonalds, goes right to Butchart. Change some money with a snack at MacDonalds if needed. There is also a visitor center, on the Inner Harbor. I would not rent a car if that is your only touring option? Expect to pay in the range of $40ca pp for the tea at the Empress. I too would suggest you consider Butchart Garden's tea?

For all the hype, we were totally unimpressed with the Empress - worth walking through and looking around once, but that was about it. The "snack shop" at Butchart Gardens was more pleasant. And they also have their "nice" restaurant. Frankly, about the only thing we found really worthwhile in Victoria was the Gardens. High tea you can do at just about any high end hotel in any big city. The Gardens on the other hand are much more unique to Victoria - if you have to choose.

And you can use US dollars everywhere, so it's not important to convert money if you don't want to. In addition to the city bus, you can also ask at the Visitor Center about the "tour" buses that run regularly. If you're tight on time, I don't know if the city bus takes longer or not. The "tour" bus price will include your admission and R/T transportation.

One thing that you should not miss in Victoria is the museum . It's a world class museum that gives you a good idea of the history of the area Iwould do this instead of the tea at the Empress, if you want to visit the Empress have a drink in the Bengal lounge instead. The gardens are worth the effort to of course.

Archived