Formal or Informal

Jerry and Shelly

They have tried that with Azamara and it's not working too well. They have provided options for dining, that they didn't have before, for those who don't care to dress and the truth is things are working well as they are.

Almost everyone complies with the dress code for the dining room or goes to an alternate on formal night. The Solstice Class ships all have an expanded buffet and Bistro on Five which is a $5 charge. They also have RCCL for people who want a casual cruise and have many casual venues on their ships.

Sometimes we don't feel like dressing up either, but if we're feeling that lazy, the buffet, Bistro or in cabin dining work perfectly.

There are so many choices for people who want a completely casual cruise, let's leave at least one for those who enjoy a "little bit" more formal atmosphere.

I vehemently disagree with you that "all Solstice class ships have an expanded buffet." The formal night on the Eclipse that we did not want to dress up for had a buffet about 1/4 of the size of the lunch buffet. That was this past May for the inagural Baltic. It consisted of pizza, pasta, sushi, and salad. Pretty slim pickings for a dinner.

Well, we will all see what happens with Celebrity in the future as far as formal dining. There are as many people out there who don't care for it as those that do, and don't post on these forums. We are paying less for our next 14 day Celebrity cruise than many of our previous ones on RCCL. This pricing will appeal to the masses and I am sure Celebrity will do what is necessary to fill their ships and cater to everyone's preferences. They listened in the past to those who prefer anytime dining so it would not surprise me at all if they made some sort of compromise on formal dining.

Ah ... so it's not REALLY about people's inappropriate dining attire at all! It's about maintaining the illusion of the "elite" status of Celebrity cruisers and keeping out the riffraff. We suspected as much all along.

I am speaking about Celebrity's product not the cruisers. I would never call anyone riff-raff. I would hope you wouldn't think of yourself in those terms.

It's all about choice and it's nice that Celebrity is one of the choices available to us.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I booked an upcoming Celebrity cruise several months ago. I can't imagine why anyone would bother to read and post to these threads if that was not the case. It's been very informative to get a sense of the opinions and preferences of others who will be on my cruise. I look forward to a lively time.

On what ship will you be sailing for your first Celebrity cruise? Also, what will be your cabin designation?

The Solstice Class buffet is expanded from what it used to be.

So what did it used to be? And this was on the Solstice, Equinox, AND the Eclipse? I can't imagine how much smaller it could get since our May, 2010 Eclipse cruise.

The M-Class ships had just sushi and pasta on the buffet.

We were on Solstice in May, Equinox last November and Solstice before that and saw more than what you described. As you said, about a quarter of the buffet which was more than the dishes you described.

It's someone's choice to come on Celebrity knowing what's available. They can choose to put on a jacket and tie for a couple of nights if they want to eat in the dining room on formal night. That's just the way it is and if it's too much to ask they can take what's available in the buffet, go to the Bistro or the Silk Harvest or eat in the cabin. If all of those don't work, they can go on Oceania, Azamara or one of many others that have more choices for them.

They can also be one of the few that will wear whatever they please and hope they are admitted to the dining room. It's their problem and no one else's.

From his own post on another CC cruise line forum, here we have the philosophy that is driving nusail's agenda:

Quote: Originally Posted by travellovers2 viewpost.gif

I dont think it's fair that they have it as a policy and some people follow it and others dont..... and get away with it. Not following a policy shows lack of respect for authority ..

Clearly, nusail thinks that he is "independent-minded", while those of us that understand what it means to respect a dress code request are lemmings. There is absolutely nothing further I can say about this kind of approach to life except that I am grateful that my children have grown up to understand how to behave in polite society. :)

My “agenda” ??? Wow!

Celebrity may be heralded by many as a beacon of civilized behaviour from a bygone era but it’s simply a company doing business by packaging and selling vacations. At one time the dress code was willingly adhered to by the majority of passengers. Now there seems to be a less amicable alliance. Some (for a variety of reasons) resist the “tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket” regimen and attend Formal Night activities in less than formal attire.

It’s clear that not even Celebrity ”respects the posted dress code”. X’s own website refers to the convention as “guidelines” and if they were hard and fast “rules” and a mainstay of company policy then they would be enforced. Jacketless gentlemen would consistently be turned away at the dining room door as sometimes occurs in upscale land-based restaurants. The fact that this seldom, if ever, happens shows that Celebrity condones the behaviour and is moving with the times, even if some of its staunchest enthusiasts are not.

The world is changing, regardless of how we feel about it. Our society is becoming increasingly diverse, citizens regularly question past practice and fewer members kowtow to tradition. And while some may lament this trend, it is unlikely to dissipate. Those who enjoy dressing up in formal wear (and I include myself among them) will continue to have the opportunity to do so while many adopt a more relaxed style. And it’s unlikely that the more casually dressed diners will complain that dressier patrons are ruining the ambiance, or criticize their upbringing or cast aspersions on their “class”.

From his own post on another CC cruise line forum, here we have the philosophy that is driving nusail's agenda:

Quote: Originally Posted by travellovers2 viewpost.gif

I dont think it's fair that they have it as a policy and some people follow it and others dont..... and get away with it. Not following a policy shows lack of respect for authority ..

Clearly, nusail thinks that he is "independent-minded", while those of us that understand what it means to respect a dress code request are lemmings. There is absolutely nothing further I can say about this kind of approach to life except that I am grateful that my children have grown up to understand how to behave in polite society. :)

My “agenda” ??? Wow!

Celebrity may be heralded by many as a beacon of civilized behaviour from a bygone era but it’s simply a company doing business by packaging and selling vacations. At one time the dress code was willingly adhered to by the majority of passengers. Now there seems to be a less amicable alliance. Some (for a variety of reasons) resist the “tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket” regimen and attend Formal Night activities in less than formal attire.

It’s clear that not even Celebrity ”respects the posted dress code”. X’s own website refers to the convention as “guidelines” and if they were hard and fast “rules” and a mainstay of company policy then they would be enforced. Jacketless gentlemen would consistently be turned away at the dining room door as sometimes occurs in upscale land-based restaurants. The fact that this seldom, if ever, happens shows that Celebrity condones the behaviour and is moving with the times, even if some of its staunchest enthusiasts are not.

The world is changing, regardless of how we feel about it. Our society is becoming increasingly diverse, citizens regularly question past practice and fewer members kowtow to tradition. And while some may lament this trend, it is unlikely to dissipate. Those who enjoy dressing up in formal wear (and I include myself among them) will continue to have the opportunity to do so while many adopt a more relaxed style. And it’s unlikely that the more casually dressed diners will complain that dressier patrons are ruining the ambiance, or criticize their upbringing or cast aspersions on their “class”.

My “agenda” ??? Wow!

From someone who has not taken a Celebrity cruise yet, you seem to be very certain of your "facts".;)

From someone who has not taken a Celebrity cruise yet, you seem to be very certain of your "facts".;)

Despite what is posted on these forums, no one will turn to NCL or another cruise line as suggested by posters on these forums over and over again just as you would not want to be told to consider Crystal, Silver Sea, Cunard, etc. just so you can "dress up." People will continue to choose Celebrity and as long as they are not wearing bathing attire, raggedy jeans, flip flops, T-shirts etc., I don't think they will have any problems on formal nights getting into the MDR or the other venues. People will do what they want and I don't think that the people whose earnings depend on tips will want to upset anyone.

Despite what is posted on these forums, no one will turn to NCL or another cruise line as suggested by posters on these forums over and over again just as you would not want to be told to consider Crystal, Silver Sea, Cunard, etc. just so you can "dress up." People will continue to choose Celebrity and as long as they are not wearing bathing attire, raggedy jeans, flip flops, T-shirts etc., I don't think they will have any problems on formal nights getting into the MDR or the other venues. People will do what they want and I don't think that the people whose earnings depend on tips will want to upset anyone.

I'll just have to respectfully disagree. Do some people manage to sneak in, yes. But there are also some who are stopped and asked to change or dine elsewhere.

There are very few who are not dressed appropriately, but I certainly would hate to encourage anyone to do as they please and then have them be embarrassed.

Like a lot of the other boards regarding this matter there are two sides, the doers and wont's. A lot of the poster indicate its their decision as its their holiday, while some some say its due to weight restrictions on aircraft. At the end of the day its their choice however my two pence worth (2 cents for our colonial cousins) is that I am not bothered as long as it doesnt affect me.

If I am willing to pay the extra carriage for taking a full kilt set on a cruise I do not want to be seated with someone not making an attempt at meeting the required dining attire standards.

If I happened to be allocated a seat with this type of arrangement I would ask to be removed. People may well look to see why were were being moved and Im sure that it would not take rocket science to work out the reason.

Like them its my holiday too !!!

After all this discussion, I think I'll test this on my next cruise. I will start now getting some jeans REALLY broken in, slashes on the knees, etc. Then I will find one of DH's old tee shirts that he mows the lawn in, and I will show up thus attired, with flip flops, on formal night, and see what happens. Can't believe no one has thought of doing this already!

Of course I will have appropriate attire laid out and ready in my cabin if/when I get ejected--and I will report back!

All I can say is that on eight weeks of Celebrity cruises, we have never seen anyone turned away from the MDR. Thus said, I have not seen anyone dressed in grungy jeans, T-shirts, bathing attire, etc. on any of the nights in the MDR, formal or smart casual. I have, however, seen women dressed up and wearing those flip flops with "jewels" on them for formal nights along with capris. None were stopped for that either.

What people can do, pro or con in regards to their own opinions on formal night is: fill out those comment cards that they give out at the end of your cruise, as they do read them!! Email or write letters to Celebrity voicing your opinion and thoughts on this issue. This is what a democracy is all about! I am sure Celebrity is reading and listening and trying to appeal to all and even compromise.

Like a lot of the other boards regarding this matter there are two sides, the doers and wont's. A lot of the poster indicate its their decision as its their holiday, while some some say its due to weight restrictions on aircraft. At the end of the day its their choice however my two pence worth (2 cents for our colonial cousins) is that I am not bothered as long as it doesnt affect me.

If I am willing to pay the extra carriage for taking a full kilt set on a cruise I do not want to be seated with someone not making an attempt at meeting the required dining attire standards.

If I happened to be allocated a seat with this type of arrangement I would ask to be removed. People may well look to see why were were being moved and Im sure that it would not take rocket science to work out the reason.

Like them its my holiday too !!!

I have a question for you - If I were at your table and on formal night I came to the table wearing an all black (or all white) outfit with no tie would you ask to be moved?

ztc9kw.jpg

No jeans and the pants are dress pants, along with designer boots.

I ask because I consider the above dress to be smart casual and want to see what others think of this type of dress for formal night in the MDR.

What about just wearing a jacket?

xdeeyq.jpg

I have a question for you - If I were at your table and on formal night I came to the table wearing an all black (or all white) outfit with no tie would you ask to be moved?

ztc9kw.jpg

I ask because I consider the above dress to be smart casual and want to see what others think of this type of dress for formal night in the MDR.

xdeeyq.jpg

First off, I don't care what you wear and I would not say a word because I don't know your cirumstances. (maybe you didn't get all your luggage.) I will answer your question which you actually answered yourself. I quote, "I consider the above dress to be smart casual" and then you go on to say "formal night"... Smart casual is not supposed to be worn on formal night, therefore you answered your own question...

Once you get onboard you can wear a lampsbade on your head if you like. No one will bother you and you can deal with any consequences of your choice.

One thing is for sure, Celebrity can't "require" good manners. People either have them or they don't.

Of all the repeat topics on this board, I believe that people are the most passionate about formal or informal dress codes. I don't know if the ship lines ever read this board for ideas, but I think a good compromise would be to make one of the set dining times as "formal only" and then strictly enforce it. So maybe the first seating could be informal within current standards, and the second seating could be formal. I think that would satisfy most people, with the only concerns being the need to select your dinner time based on your dress preference, and that after dinner, people will be dressed in a variety of ways.

Another idea would be to separate upsatirs and downstairs in the MDR, with formal only on the lower level, and informal on the upper level.

Just some ideas.

Ma- I'm with you. My wish is that everyone simply understand that casual does not mean sloppy. Dressing up for dinner is something I look forward to> I love seeing DH in a jacket it adds to the overall quality of the cruise. See you on the Solstice next June

Carole

ztc9kw.jpg

xdeeyq.jpg

You look divine -- better than a lot of guys in tuxes and ties. My handsome husband is wearing a black sport jacket, turtleneck or silk tee for our next round of formal nights on Celebrity. We can sit at the same table any day.

First off, I don't care what you wear and I would not say a word because I don't know your cirumstances. (maybe you didn't get all your luggage.) I will answer your question which you actually answered yourself. I quote, "I consider the above dress to be smart casual" and then you go on to say "formal night"... Smart casual is not supposed to be worn on formal night, therefore you answered your own question...

Thanks for your reply. While I understand that smart casual is not formal I guess I was trying to be practical.

By very definition formal night for men would imply tuxedo (assuming Eruopean/American cultural standards) and from my experience compliance with that standard would be 10-20%.

Also from personal experience I know that Celebrity allows smart casual in the MDR during formal nights because their dress code is a suggestion not an absolute.

I guess I'm attempting to find the point where those who love formal nights draw the line with fellow passengers dress. As for myself I really dont understand why this is such a big issue for so many.

Thanks for your reply. While I understand that smart casual is not formal I guess I was trying to be practical.

By very definition formal night for men would imply tuxedo (assuming Eruopean/American cultural standards) and from my experience compliance with that standard would be 10-20%.

Also from personal experience I know that Celebrity allows smart casual in the MDR during formal nights because their dress code is a suggestion not an absolute.

I guess I'm attempting to find the point where those who love formal nights draw the line with fellow passengers dress. As for myself I really dont understand why this is such a big issue for so many.

By the way, the outfit looks very nice.... I believe the matter is a big deal because many cruisers believe Celebrity is the last cruise line where certain standards from a by gone era are maintained. Adding to the misunderstandings is Celebrity's inconsistencies on their web site, dailies on board and their lack of enforcement of their own rules...

By the way, the outfit looks very nice.... I believe the matter is a big deal because many cruisers believe Celebrity is the last cruise line where certain standards from a by gone era are maintained. Adding to the misunderstandings is Celebrity's inconsistencies on their web site, dailies on board and their lack of enforcement of their own rules...

You are absolutely correct. That is the reason that we chose Celebrity over ten years ago, and, despite the drop in dress code standards, we have stayed with them. If the line goes the way of the others completely, then our loyalty will certainly diminish. When we took our first cruise, it was for the cruise...the ambience of the ship, reminiscent of what we had seen in films, and photographs....not the ports. We still consider the ports as an extra thrown in if we so desire.

Bill

Many new to X are heading to the s class ships. There, after reading pro-"formal" posts like these, they find out that no, not everyone is walking around in tuxes and ball gowns. In fact, the number of tuxes that we have seen in the last two years, has dwindled down to 30 % at best. Very few long gowns. Sport coats and ties are fine. Dressy pants outfits or cocktail dresses fine. THey are easily accepted into the "formal" guidelines. So newbies to X come back here to reassure other cruisers that X isn't that "old school" Cunard formal. But reports are that they DO see a nicely dressed population onboard.

If any of you have cruised Oceania, you know that they have NO formal nights, and most cruisers dress in VERY nice "country club/smart casual". And in fact some still choose to dress in sport jackets and dressy outfits some nights. We felt comfortable with that dress code. Didn't need a "formal night" to feel like we were in a very nice restaurant at home.

But when you extend the guidelines AND then don't even enforce those , just like now, the boundaries of nice dress become blurred. People will then be arguing .... "Will shorts that hit my husband's knees be long enough for the MDR"?:rolleyes:

P.S. I think alot of these debates become touchy because many true to X don't want to see any denegration of the entire ship's atmosphere.

Archived