What type of camera do you use?

CajunLiner

I am a camera addict. I am currently looking to buy a digital SLR camera. I have been looking at others pictures on these boards and am very interested to know what types of cameras ya'll use. It seems all of my digital cameras have very weak flashes. Does anyone know about digital SLR cameras? Any recommendations?

Thanks, Donna

I am a camera addict. I am currently looking to buy a digital SLR camera. I have been looking at others pictures on these boards and am very interested to know what types of cameras ya'll use. It seems all of my digital cameras have very weak flashes. Does anyone know about digital SLR cameras? Any recommendations?

Thanks, Donna

Hi-Nice to meet a fellow shutterbug. Lots of very fine Digital SLRs available now--obviously, price is a big factor in most people's decision making. I have had Nikon film cameras for years and as a result, when I went to digitial, I chose a Nikon D-70 as it was compatible with my Nikon Lenses. Canon also makes a very nice entry level digitial SLR--which I beleive is prices slightly less than the D-70. The following link http://www.steves-digicams.com/ is to a site with a lot of reviews and good information on digital cameras.

With regard to flashes, I believe most digital SLRs have a built in flash, but all accomodate a separate flash unit (which typically has to be purchased separately). I am hardly a professional photographer, but the lack of shutter-lag and the expanded telephoto capabilities make the digital SLRs superior to others. From a picture quality standpoint, however, some of my favorite photos were taken with my Nikon Coolpix 3100--a 3.1 megapixel fixed focus type camera. I guess spending more $$$ doesn't always mean better pictures.

Have fun

Hi-Nice to meet a fellow shutterbug. Lots of very fine Digital SLRs available now--obviously, price is a big factor in most people's decision making. I have had Nikon film cameras for years and as a result, when I went to digitial, I chose a Nikon D-70 as it was compatible with my Nikon Lenses. Canon also makes a very nice entry level digitial SLR--which I beleive is prices slightly less than the D-70. The following link http://www.steves-digicams.com/ is to a site with a lot of reviews and good information on digital cameras.

With regard to flashes, I believe most digital SLRs have a built in flash, but all accomodate a separate flash unit (which typically has to be purchased separately). I am hardly a professional photographer, but the lack of shutter-lag and the expanded telephoto capabilities make the digital SLRs superior to others. From a picture quality standpoint, however, some of my favorite photos were taken with my Nikon Coolpix 3100--a 3.1 megapixel fixed focus type camera. I guess spending more $$$ doesn't always mean better pictures.

Have fun

On our Millie transatlantic two years ago, I packed a Nikon D100 SLR and a Canon G2 and will do the same on another transatlantic in November. Built-in flashes on all digital cameras are anemic, rarely usable beyond 15 feet. I have separate speedlights for both the D100 and G2. Not only do they at least double the effective flash range, but they are great for bounce flashes.

I got a Canon Digital Rebel for Christmas. We ordered it from Beach Camera and I really like it. We got the kit, an extra telephoto lens, extra battery, and a 2 gig microdrive for just under $1000. With the 2 gigs, the camera holds over 500 3Mb photos.

It takes great photos even in the hands of a complete novice -me. Now, if I could just learn how to use it to it's fullest extent.:D

Lisa

We carry two digital cameras. One is a simple Sony Cybershot that's small and easy to carry around. My wife uses that camera the most. Our other is a Nikon D-70 SLR. I went with Nikon because I have a Nikon film SLR and all the lens could used on the D-70. I've since added an external flash (SB-800) and used it at Christmas to get a feel for how it worked. Fantastic! Also bought an MP3 player....basically a portable hard disc drive....that I can download literally thousands of digital pictures onto during a cruise or whatever. Can hardly wait for our cruise to try out my new toys.

Another shutterbug here...

So far, my camera closet includes the following: Pentax ME Super film SLR, 4 lenses, flash, filters / Canon EOS-IX film SLR, 3 lenses, bounce flash, filters / Sony DSC-F717 5MP digital fixed-lens swivel-barrel 5x zoom, 1.7x high grade teleextender, filters (uses same flash as Canon) / Sony U20 ultra compact 2MP (size of zippo lighter) for carry-anywhere pocket use.

I am looking to upgrade the Sony U20 ultra-compact to Sony's new L1, which is a 4MP ultra-compact with a 3x optical zoom for $299 retail.

I am also hunting for a DSLR in the near future...it will likely be a Canon since I already have 3 nice lenses for it. The F717 has been a fantastic camera, and I will likely keep it in the collection even if I get a DSLR...or replace it with another electronic-viewfinder camera like it. There are always times when being able to carry just one lightweight portable device with a great lens, good quality, manual controls, and a huge zoom range is more convenient than bringing along a compatable DSLR body plus several lenses needed to have the same flexibility (though there are some fantastic DSLR lenses available that can give you a zoom up to 200mm, most fixed-lens superzooms have an equivalency as long as 420mm! You can buy a 50-500 zoom, but the price tag will take your kids' college fund away).

Anyway, there are plenty of good models to look at, but three to consider due to excellent prices are the Nikon D70, the Canon Digital Rebel, and the Pentax *ist. If you've already got lenses for any of these manufacturers, that may make your decision easier. Otherwise, check all of them out, check the prices, and see what you like. BTW - the Pentax *ist is the lightest and smallest DSLR on the market...a nice selling point when you are lugging it around all day!

We carry two digital cameras. One is a simple Sony Cybershot that's small and easy to carry around. My wife uses that camera the most. Our other is a Nikon D-70 SLR. I went with Nikon because I have a Nikon film SLR and all the lens could used on the D-70. I've since added an external flash (SB-800) and used it at Christmas to get a feel for how it worked. Fantastic! Also bought an MP3 player....basically a portable hard disc drive....that I can download literally thousands of digital pictures onto during a cruise or whatever. Can hardly wait for our cruise to try out my new toys.

Adequate storage is a major consideration, especially on a transatlantic with several days in Barcelona precruise. I plan to travel with about 2 GB in Compact Flash cards, dump daily from cards to Thinkpad T41 laptop for editing in Photoshop and burn to CDs. I own a SB-80 speedlight for the D100 as well as a 420EX for the Canon G2. Once you get used to a speedlight, you'll never want to go back to using a feeble on-camera flash.

Cirpi - I have 3 CompactFlash cards (1GB and 2 512MB) for the D-70 that let me store a little less than 600 pictures. I typically shoot in JPEG large fine mode but when I go to "raw" the capacity drops even further. I've found the JPEG large fine gives me enough data to work with in any of my editing software packages. My little Archos MP3 player has a 40 GB drive so I figure I've got space for 11,000 pictures in a device the size of a deck of cards. I think that should do me for a 12 day cruise. :rolleyes: Might add that we have 2GB or more of memory sticks for the Sony and I haven't even tried to figure out what the storage capacity is for those at the larger format.

PS - I see you're from Lacey. I'm from Tacoma but live in San Antonio, TX now.

Cirpi,

I tried something different on my last cruise so I didn't have to go buy many GIGs of memory cards, and so I didn't have to lug around a laptop...

I purchased a portable CD burner with meory card reader built in - made under several names (Roadstor, Addonics MFR). It is about the price of a 1GIG memory card ($260), and for me it felt a little more secure than a harddrive-based backup system (all my pictures on one portable drive makes me nervous). It was also vastly more portable than a laptop, being around the size of an older CD Walkman.

It reads all forms of cards (CF, XD, SD, MS, MSPRo, MS Duo, Microdrive) and because you burn to CD, I just made double CD copies of all my burn sessions. If one CD got damaged or mis-burned, I had a backup. The unit can do multi-session burning to one disk, and can also span multiple disks.

Other advantages include standard A/V out, S-video out, USB, and firewire ports, so it can be hooked to computers or televisions; this was particularly useful when I wanted to check a burned CD to ensure my pictures were safely burned and readable. The unit can be hooked to a TV or audio system, and used as a CD player or DVD player; it comes with a full-function wireless remote. It can be powered on AC or battery, with the battery good for 3-4 hours of on time.

It was very convenient on my last Summit cruise...I took many hundreds of photos at 5MP, yet all I had with me was a 256MB and a 32MB memory card. I just shot for the day, filled up the card, and then burned them off in the cabin when I got back. About 6 minutes a card, burned twice and checked, took about 20 minutes aside to burn them and store them. I had friends sailing with me in the next cabin; on the last day of the cruise, I confirmed by burned discs worked OK, then took one set home and gave them the backup set to bring home with them to Texas so they could keep or print any photos they wanted!

Just an FYI, and another idea and option to anyone looking for digital storage while travelling.

I have been shopping around for a new digital camera for a few monhs. I have an older Nikon 950 and an older Cannon Rebel SLR with a few lenses. I was leaning toward the digital rebel bucause of the lens compatibility. Finally after much deliberating I decided to purchase the Nikon Coolpix 8800. It is slr like with a 10X optical zoom. I am still learning how to use it but so far am very satisfied. It is Nikons newest digital coolpix and it loaded with features. For me it came down portability. No need to carry those lenses around. It is a little larger than many of the earlier coolpix models but still small enough. I wanted a newer camera for our Alaska cruise this summer. Hopefully by August I will have it figured it but with 15 scene modes it will be easy to use in most situations.

I also purchased the Nikon D-70 last year. Great camera. However for my cruise last week I brought my Fuji 3800 (which I'm not sure they make anymore.) It was a lot lighter to carry, and since you can buy one now for under $300 it wouldn't have been the end of the world if it was stolen. They do have a Fuji 5000 that I purchased for my father that I would highly recommend. It has a 10x zoom on it.

Before I left I was interested in purchasing Underwater housing for my Fuji but found out they do not make it. They do make it for a lot of Canons. They also make it for the Nikon D-70 but at a hefty price of $2,000.

For underwater housings, smaller cameras have the advantage.

For lightweight duty (snorkeling...10ft or less) many manufacturers make cases to go with the camera model - for example, Canon makes them for most Elph models, Sony makes them for the T1, L1, and P100/150/200, etc. They usually cost no more than $100-200. They are optically very good as they are made by the manufacturer. I am buying a Sony L1 ultra-compact for $265 plus the underwater 'sport pack' for $80 for snorkeling, beach, and rain use.

You can also buy fairly cheap underwater bags good for down to 20 feet, also in the $200 and under range, for most small cameras (these will usually fit the mid-size cameras as well). They aren't as perfect optically since the lens sees through plastic, but good enough for most.

The larger cameras and DSLRs usually require more advanced, purpose-built housings which will cost alot more. If getting into scuba photography, you'll need a more expensive housing like this, even for the little cameras. Then you get into the hundreds and even thousands when dealing with housings like these!

I am not one who knows much about cameras. I had a digital Olympus that cost over $500 and I couldn't figure out how to use it properly. I gave that one to my son and got a Sony A340 and I love it. It's basically a point and shoot and that's what I need. It wasn't expensive and came with a docking station and extra memory. Now, I can take all the pics I want. I am thinking of getting the special underwater case so I can use it when snorkeling. I saw somewhere that it is about $80. Seems like a good price to me.

Katie

I recently sold my Sony S85 digital on ebay. I replaced it with a Canon SD300. I was very pleased with my old camera, but I was tired of its size and always looking like a tourist. I am very please so far with my new camera and love how easy it is to operate. My wife also enjoys the simplicity of it compared to our old camera. I have found it has some red eye issues which is common for most small digital cameras. This is easily fixed before processing. I would never go back to a film camera. too expensive and not able to process on my own or save to disc.

The Nikon 5200 Coolpix is another excellent camera as far as ease and quality. You can buy these for around $250-300.00 depending on where you shop. Good luck and happy picture taking.

Thanks for all the input. I was leaning toward the Canon Rebel, but it seems most everyone is for Nikon. I will have to do more research on this one. I am a point and shoot type of person, but I really enjoy all the different modes available. Really want interchangeable lens, and a real flash!!!

Donna

I use Nikon Digital SLRs for work, so I usually bring at least one with me on cruises. The newer Nikon Speedlight flash units are very nice with more power than most folk will ever need (I have routinely used one from the back of an auditorium during rehearsals.) I also carry one of the small Sony digitals, similar to the Cybershot DSC-P100 (mine is an older model,) in my laptop case, and I often will take this one with me on my first "scouting" trip into a port, because the small size and shape of this camera allows me to carry it in a pocket unnoticed, which can be a good thing if you are unfamiliar with the security of an area. In good outdoor light, the Sony takes an excellent picture, though of course, you have to factor in the shutter delay of a Point & Shoot. I have taken one of the Nikon Digital SLRs into almost every port I've visited though, with no problem.

The D70 is a nice camera, and it does very well as far as picture quality. I have stuck with the D100 as backups to my D2H though, primarily because of the ergonomics of the cameras. The D70 has a smaller grip and overall feel to it, and it just doesn't fit my hands as well as some of the other Nikon SLRs. This is one reason why I went with Nikon in the first place -- their cameras just seem to handle better, for my style of shooting. I'd highly recommend you visit a local camera shop, ask them to show you different models, with the lens you think you'll use most, as well as with a flash attached, and see how they feel. I've shot with some cameras where I thought I was going to drop them every minute because they just "didn't fit."

For storage, I bring along a Powerbook, which spends the cruise set up on the desk in the cabin. I bring a half dozen or so Flash cards, most in the 512MB size, and simply download off them each evening. I usually also grab a picture or two I really like each day, and save them to a folder that is set to the screen-saver.... is nice to come into the cabin and see a review of the trip so far :)

Wow - lots of Nikon users here!

I made the jump to a D-SLR about nine months ago - I use an Olympus E-1. It's a fantastic camera, tends to be rather overlooked but anyone in the market for a D70 should at least take a look at it. At present price levels it's a steal, as are the Olympus Zuiko lenses (for a standard lens, go with the 14-54mm Zuiko - it's great).

The D70 is also an excellent camera - in some ways better than the E-1, in some ways the E-1 is better. I don't regret my choice to go with the E-1 and had I bought the D70 I doubt I'd regret that choice either. They're both superb cameras.

In a slightly higher price bracket, the Canon 20D is the pick of the Canons (unless you want to go into the astronomically-priced EOS-1 series). I'm not a huge fan of the Digital Rebel, as some of the more advanced features are permanently "turned off" in the camera's firmware. For a little more money, I think you'll get a lot more functionality out of a D70 or E-1.

I haven't personally tried the Olympus E-300, the new smaller and (marginally) less expensive sibling to my camera yet, but frankly I can't recommend it yet. For those who like the Olympus 4/3 system, the E-1 is a much better choice.

And then there is Pentax - I found their *ist D very uncomfortable to hold (this is personal taste) but I know a few *ist D users and it is definitely a viable option. If you already have Pentax lenses, go get it.

I was disappointed in the (expensive) Minolta Maxxum 7D - it's fine, but for the money I like the Canon 20D a lot better.

There really are no bad digital SLRs - but some are definitely better than others. I fooled around with all the major players (except the E-300 and the Minolta, which didn't exist yet) when I bought my D-SLR and they really are all very good - but there are differences, some are certainly better than others in certain areas. The cameras with the widest all-around appeal are probably the D70 and the 20D, though I really love my E-1 (I happened to have hit upon a very good price on an E-1 which swayed me from the D70 which I was about to buy) it has a few quirks and is "not for everyone" whereas the D70 or 20D could probably easily satisfy just about any user.

For information on digital cameras I highly recommend Digital Photography Review which I believe is the best review site out there. The review of my camera, the E-1, is probably less positive than it would be if it were written today, becuase at the time of its debut it was a much more expensive camera being aimed at a much higher market segment than it is these days. But the reviews are generally excellent and give a great overview of what is out there.

Incidentally, for those looking in the market for consumer digital cameras, rather than a digital SLR, at the moment I'm blown away by how fantastic some of the Panasonics have been recently. In particular, among relatively inexpensive digital cameras, I would very highly recommend the Panasonic FZ-3 (soon to be replaced by the FZ-4) which I think is a magnificent camera for not a lot of money. Some of the images I've seen from this and the other recent Panasonics are amazingly good seeing that they come from a small-sensor (non-digital-SLR) camera.

I would have to agree with several of the previous posters regarding the entry-level Canon that is priced at roughly $999 with lense. I purchased a Canon Digital Rebel in November 2003, and it was a fantastic purchase that has paid for itself many times over.

If you'd like a sample of the shots that it can take, feel free to look at these pages of photos that I took aboard Galaxy and Mercury with the camera:

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/picturepost/view.php?uid=2566

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/picturepost/view.php?uid=2192

I too was a relative novice to photography when I purchased this camera. As you can see, the results can be outstanding with even a basic understanding of photography.

I would have to agree with several of the previous posters regarding the entry-level Canon that is priced at roughly $999 with lense. I purchased a Canon Digital Rebel in November 2003, and it was a fantastic purchase that has paid for itself many times over.

If you'd like a sample of the shots that it can take, feel free to look at these pages of photos that I took aboard Galaxy and Mercury with the camera:

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/picturepost/view.php?uid=2566

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/picturepost/view.php?uid=2192

I too was a relative novice to photography when I purchased this camera. As you can see, the results can be outstanding with even a basic understanding of photography.

Terrific pictures and spot on with exposure. Some questions:

Did you use a tripod?

Did you bump of the ISO for the interior shots? If so, to what ISO setting?

Did you use an external flash for interior shots?

Terrific pictures and spot on with exposure. Some questions:

Did you use a tripod?

Did you bump of the ISO for the interior shots? If so, to what ISO setting?

Did you use an external flash for interior shots?

Oops! Meant to ask if you bump up the ISO for interior shots?

Best camera made in my opinion: Nikon D100

Purchased 5 "one gigabyte" sandisk compact flash cards for $120 each. This will avoid any lugging of notebooks or laptop PC's or devices to store pics. On a 14 day cruise I used 3 cards and had approx 1800 pics.

Get a separate flash also. In the dining room or a bar at night a built in flash will not do the job. My D100 does a great job.

Check out some of my pics from our cruises on webshots (note, webshot de-pixelates big time so these are not like original):

http://community.webshots.com/user/irwind101

idssms

Archived