MBNA RCCL Visa Reward ?

tasbm1

Has anyone ever used points to get a cruise discount and then also used the onboard $50 credit coupons. On my last cruise I cashed in points and just used 3 - $50 onboard credit coupons. For my next cruise, I was thinking of cashing in the 15,000 points for the $150 cruise discount that you send in with your final payment and then cashing in an extra 10,000 points for 2 - $50 onboard credit coupons that you send in to RCCL.

We did the $150 discount on our last cruise. You can get the coupon and mail it in at any time, rather than waiting until the time of final payment.

We just used an upgrade coupon from outside to balcony, worked great, saved us $500 on our next trip.

Pumbaamd. I guess you can use two $150 credits but I would check with them first. As you know, this would cost 30,000 points.

A better idea might be to use 25,000 points to upgrade your cabin either from inside to outside (I think) or outside to balcony because this has a value up to $500. We recently did the balcony upgrade. We had booked a balcony. You call them and then they back track your booking rate to as low of an outside rate they can so you get the most bang for your buck, i.e., I think we actually ended up paying the price for a category H, rather than D1. We saved about $490 on this. You just have to review the prices for your particular cruise to see how much you can save on this. (hope this makes sense)

This also works better than the $500 cruise discount, which is something like 30,000 or 35,000 points.

... I hadn't considered this (and unfortunately, it's too late this time...) but, would you call RCCL?

"You call them and then they back track your booking rate to as low of an outside rate they can so you get the most bang for your buck,"

Or your TA (assumming you booked through one)?

I'm finding RCCL customer Service generally won't speak to me once they've asked if I booked through a TA and I tell them yes. :rolleyes:

Who did you call?

A

I am using 75,000 points for a free companion on a 7 night. I beleive you can use as many on board credit coupons ($50) as you want. But you cannot combine cruise discounts, with companion fares or free cruises, etc. So you may want to use the cruise on board credits instead.

• 1 month later...

I booked my reservation directly with RCL and called them. The customer service agent did research while I was on the phone and came up with the appropriate rate.

We are doing great for this cruise so far: $490 discount on upgrade, $100 for booking on board, and $100 C&A balcony. I'll probably cash in some more ship board credits for the trip too! I love being able to combine coupons.

... but, would you call RCCL?

Who did you call?

Stateroom upgrades are not valid on Christmas Sailings and New Year Sailings. Stateroom upgrades are available only for the specific combinations shown above and are subject to availability. Other upgrade combinations, including but not limited to upgrades from balcony staterooms to suites or penthouse staterooms are not available. Upgrades may not be combined with Royal Caribbean International Companion Fare Rewards, Free Cruise Rewards or other promotional coupons. Upgrades may not be combined with restricted price programs, however, please call Royal Caribbean International for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Upgrades are valid from an inside to outside stateroom, or an outside to balcony stateroom only. The guest can upgrade from, but cannot upgrade to any stateroom to which a "Guarantee rate" applies. Stateroom categories vary from vessel to vessel. The guest cannot upgrade to or from family staterooms, or upgrade from staterooms to which selected special pricing programs apply.

The guest or travel agent must call Royal Caribbean International at 1-888-305-4626 to make cruise reservations and arrange upgrade prior to mailing the Reward Coupon. See below for details.

I am using 75,000 points for a free companion on a 7 night. I beleive you can use as many on board credit coupons ($50) as you want. But you cannot combine cruise discounts, with companion fares or free cruises, etc. So you may want to use the cruise on board credits instead.

I would definitely call RCL (if you're a C&A member, go through them. They are MOST helpful!!). It was explained to me that you can use any combination of coupons. For example, if you had 30,000 points, you could get, and use, two $150 discount coupons. Of course, keeping some of these other messages in mind, it might be more economical to get an upgrade rather than a discount.....

Archived