Destiny

Hi there, sailing on the Destiny end September, we like our early morning cup of tea and as previously suggested we are taking a small thermos with us for hot water. Do they have sachets of tea, sugar and milk available in the Lido? Also can anyone advise us how much walking is involved on the Thomson excursions to Monaco & Monte Carlo also Rome all in one day. I can walk OK but do sometimes have problems if I walk too far due to Arthritis, would love to do these trips but dont want to get caught out. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi sanfrancisco

Yes there are sachets of sugar, tea bags and milk in the Lido.

Have just been on Island Escape around the Med and did the trip to Monaco and Monte Carlo. There was quite a bit of walking but not too exhausting. I have arthritis in my left hip but it didn't cause me any problem. You do get time to yourself in both places so it is easy to have a rest.

With regards to Rome. We did the Rome on Your Own trip as we had been to Rome before and didn't necessarily want to see the same places. By doing this you can take things at your own pace. You can catch the open top buses from where you are dropped outside the Vatican and get on and off when you like.

We love the Destiny (been on her 3 times and number 4 booked again in March). You will have a great time.

Janet:)

Yes, there are tea bags and hot water but what I planned to do was take thermos travel mugs, make the tea in the Lido and pour it into the travel mugs. That was the theory, I forgot to pack them :o

The Rome excursions are long and HOT with lots of walking. I reckon I walked for over 4 hours on the colosseum trip. Rome in one day may be similar as it marked as 'active'. There is a 5 hour easy Rome excursion available which does not involve walking but you wizz past all the sites as you are in Rome for only a hour or so.

Yes, there are tea bags and hot water but what I planned to do was take thermos travel mugs, make the tea in the Lido and pour it into the travel mugs. That was the theory, I forgot to pack them :o

The Rome excursions are long and HOT with lots of walking. I reckon I walked for over 4 hours on the colosseum trip. Rome in one day may be similar as it marked as 'active'. There is a 5 hour easy Rome excursion available which does not involve walking but you wizz past all the sites as you are in Rome for only a hour or so.

As an alternative to the organised excursions would the 'Rome on Your Own' trip suit you better? You are dropped off at St Peter's and you can get a HoHo there and see the city at your own pace getting on and off as you wish. Also you can go at your own pace and have a cafe stop as required to recover and a little rest. Don't forget to find time for an icecream too!!! ;)

Thanks for the helpful replies. Think we may do Rome on our own through Thomson, as you say we can do things at our own pace and it sounds as though they give you plenty of help on the coach with maps, etc. This is our first cruise so a bit aprehensive but this forum is giving us lots of helpful information.

On Celebration I found the hot water from the Lido didn't stay hot enough for tea overnight in a flask, as it wasn't actually boiling to start with, so I gave this up after a few days.

I did however make good use of my insulated mug with a lid. It was really useful to be able to make a cup of tea in it at the Lido, then screw the lid on to make it easier and safer to carry it back to the cabin, mostly as I came in off the deck to get dressed for dinner (had it ready in my bag) and especially late at night.

Carol x

Hi

We went to Rome for 4 days a couple of years ago, so will be around the pool that day, we are going the 25th as well.

As for Rome on your own. We used the Tour Buses all the time, same as all big cities you pay one fee then hop on hop off. As a previuos poster says.

Rome is fantastic, we spent a whole day around the Collasium.

Not sure how long we have in Rome so maybe its best to go on the trip that just takes you to all the sites and there is no walking at all. A coach trip really but you will see the sites but not in detail.

Or just concentrate on one area and do not try to fit all the city in. It took us 4 days to do that.

Rememeber to get back for the Dancing at 6.30:)

have a good one what ever

thanks for the advice, not sure whether we will do the Rome on our own trip or the easy Rome, we want to do Vatican City mainly and I want to see the Trevi Fountain, not very confident using public transport especially when limited to time, is the Trevi Fountain very far to walk from St Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel do you know? these are the main things we both want to see. Yes we do want to be fit for the dancing!

Archived