Just stepped off the Adventure!!

Hi all

Literally just off the Adventure and can still see her from my hotel room!!

Do intend to do a full review when I get home but here are a few first thoughts:-

For a 9 year old ship she sure is looking good in the public areas. Our D1 was showing many signs of wear and tear but our very unobtrusive stateroom attendant did his best to keep the room in good order.

Over 2000 Spanish on this cruise and LOTS done to especially accommodate them and their tastes! Spanish entertainers, special screenings, shows and talks all in Spanish too.

Boarded at 11.00 a.m. and whole check in process took just over 20 minutes.

Leo Papa was CD and did an admirable job. Shows and entertainers seemed lacking to myself and my family. Singers were good but the dancers not quite up to the standard we have seen before - and yes, we do know our dancing!

Main seating dining food good and waiters Hristov and Dione John on table 253 were top class. 6.45 for main seating and 9.15 for late - to accommodate the Spanish penchant for later dining apparently. Massive queues on boarding as people attempted to change dinner seatings!!

Windjammer busy on the dot at 9.30 a.m. and 1.oo p.m.!! Pools full to overflowing and could only get in on one occasion due to overcrowding.

Just off to take a final look at the Adventure - if I can answer any questions please post below?

We wanted early sitting and our docs stated 6.00 p.m. but this was amended once we were on board. I had read on here that there were some changes being made to accommodate the Spanish cruisers who prefer to dine later.

Formal nights were day 2 and 5 and day 5 was also White Party Night on Deck 11. Most of the Spanish guests seemed to have been informed of this but we had not been. Strange to have that theme on a Formal night too!!Q

K

We wanted early sitting and our docs stated 6.00 p.m. but this was amended once we were on board. I had read on here that there were some changes being made to accommodate the Spanish cruisers who prefer to dine later.

Formal nights were day 2 and 5 and day 5 was also White Party Night on Deck 11. Most of the Spanish guests seemed to have been informed of this but we had not been. Strange to have that theme on a Formal night too!!Q

K

What's a White Party Night?

We'll be on the same cruise on 28 August. I'm really sorry to hear that formal night is that night as it's also the Wine Pairing dinner which we wanted to try, but we like to eat as a family on formal night and the wine pairing would be wasted on our sons.

Who were the guest entertainers onboard - we had the Beatles and a 'Motown' group on Voyager last week but I noticed that the Beatles were also on Adventure the same week, were they also on your cruise?

How was the buffet food. You say that they accommodated the Spanish, did they provide anything like Spanish food in the Windjammer (or on deck)? We sailed from Barcelona and were really disappointed that they had little evidence of Mediterranean choices onboard.

Did people tend to get off the ship in port? I'm anticipating very busy sea days but wondered whether people would be interested in the ports of call, or just choose to experience the ship?

Did you manage to get a Meet & Mingle, it seems the sailings from Spain are really struggling to get 25 people together?

Disappointed not to have seen the Motown or Beatles tributes. We had an Il Divo style singing quartet - who sang mostly in Spanish and Italian and also Gary Lovini who is an ex New Faces winner from the 80's.

Leo Papa explained that the acts on this itinerary are either visual or musical - so as to appeal to all!! We have had far better on our recent cruises with all lines.

There were some Spanish selections on the Windjammer menus and also some English specialities too - back bacon, black pudding and roast on the last night in the main dining room.

We got off in all ports, as did most. Only in Palma was there a 6 Euro charge each way for the transfer into town. Do not pay it as a taxi will only cost 10 Euros each way for up to four or more in a larger car.

We did try to book one ship trip but it was cancelled due to lack of support - seems several were as lots did their own thing and this was easy to do.

We could only get 11 names for our Meet and Mingle and so it was cancelled but I did meet up with Hopeless Holiday Booker for our own chat.

Adventure sailed this evening at 5.20 p.m.

Karen

Is Didi still in the Concierge Lounge? One of the things I loved about our Adventure cruise was the added bonus of a San Juan vacation! Can't wait for your review.

I don't think you have realised that Adventure is sailing out of Malaga, Spain.

Karen, thanks very much for your comments. I look forward to the full review. We are sailing on 25th September. Couple of questions.

Was the ship full, did you hear of any upgrades? I ask this because at present our sailing has lots of the costly cabins available.

Were you sat in the MDR with others and if so, were they English speaking? I have read of English speakers being sat with Spanish speakers.

Did many passengers arrive very late for the main seating? Again I have read of people coming into the MDR an hour or more late and still being served, even though their tablemates were more than half way through the meal.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Cinnamon

Gary Lovini who is an ex New Faces winner from the 80's. - Can't wait to see him - who is he? :rolleyes:

It's a shame about the Beatles act - I'm sure they would appeal to Spanish as well and I was hoping they'd be on this cruise. Ah well, looks like we won't be spending much time in the theatre :D

I did meet up with Hopeless Holiday Booker for our own chat.

I've just realised this is the cruise you were on - we met Joanne on Legend last year and our boys and her girls struck up a friendship. Hope she enjoyed it too :D

I have a couple more questions.

How formal was the formal night? Our cruise on Voyager last week was the least formal we've been on and we're wondering whether it's worth taking all our 'dressing up gear', especially as we're travelling with Easyjet. We do all enjoy dressing up but don't want to do so if we'll stick out like sore thumbs :confused:

Also was the White Party open to all? I know this will really appeal to the boys and I believe they hold it by the Solarium pool, does this mean that anyone can attend or did they have some age restrictions?

Is Didi still in the Concierge Lounge? One of the things I loved about our Adventure cruise was the added bonus of a San Juan vacation! Can't wait for your review.

I just got an email from DeDe and she is back onboard now - she was on vacation for the past few weeks.

Hi Osmondfan

I'm sailing her in October. 1 question I have about the internet connections. I know they do not have wifi in the rooms but do they have internet connection available via cable in your rooms? I want to bring my small laptop but not if I have to sit in a lounge somewhere in order to connect. The whole purpose of bringing it would be to use it while relaxing in my stateroom.

Thanks,

Susan

Hi, thanks for the info, we are sailing in October.

I'm also interested to hear about the seating arrangements. We like to share a table but don't speak any Spanish so would prefer to have English speaking tablemates. Do you know if RCL made an effort to do this?

I am assuming that our cruise will have mostly Spanish passengers as its currently being sold on RCLs Spanish website for a lot less than here in the UK.

Look forward to your full review,

Julie

Hi Osmondfan

I'm sailing her in October. 1 question I have about the internet connections. I know they do not have wifi in the rooms but do they have internet connection available via cable in your rooms? I want to bring my small laptop but not if I have to sit in a lounge somewhere in order to connect. The whole purpose of bringing it would be to use it while relaxing in my stateroom.

Thanks,

Susan

Susan, although I can't give a definitive answer to your question, the norm on RCI ships is that there are 'hot spots' in various places, such as the library and the internet lounge. I don't think it is available in the cabins on a 9 year old ship.

We have sailed in the Adventure's sister ships several times and only used the onboard computers. However, they are slow and expensive. The reason for the slow speed is that it all comes via satellite. If you try at off peak times it is a bit quicker, but at mid morning on a sea day, ridiculously slow.

We will probably have ours with us for the 6 day pre-cruise stay but not the cruise.

Hope this helps.

Corinne.

I know I'm going to get lots of comments for this, but...... to preface this, I love the Southern Caribbean itinerary (it's my favorite), but we now choose the ship rather than the itinerary for my 2 kids who are 11 and 17. They have been on Freedom 2X, Adventure and Liberty. Both kids are very outgoing and meet tons of kids wherever we go (cruises, all-inclusives), but I found the Adventure to be a problem with the language barrier. They had a good time, but not half as good as the other ships' cruises.

Also, I have to say, we always do the late seating (8:30). If my seating was changed to 9:15 to accomodate the Spanish people on board, I would be irate. This is something that should be told to you up-front, not when you sail. There's a big difference between waiting till 9:15 to eat, then 8:30.

JMHO

I know I'm going to get lots of comments for this, but...... to preface this, I love the Southern Caribbean itinerary (it's my favorite), but we now choose the ship rather than the itinerary for my 2 kids who are 11 and 17. They have been on Freedom 2X, Adventure and Liberty. Both kids are very outgoing and meet tons of kids wherever we go (cruises, all-inclusives), but I found the Adventure to be a problem with the language barrier. They had a good time, but not half as good as the other ships' cruises.

Also, I have to say, we always do the late seating (8:30). If my seating was changed to 9:15 to accomodate the Spanish people on board, I would be irate. This is something that should be told to you up-front, not when you sail. There's a big difference between waiting till 9:15 to eat, then 8:30.

JMHO

How many languages does your children speak?? Just to let you know, children in Puerto Rico and Spain learn to speak at least two languages.

Cruiselines try to accomodate the majority on board. We cruised on the Independence last summer where over 90% of the passangers were british and everything was done to please them. Did I mind? no Will I cruise the Med from Southampton again? probably we won't. We like diversity and we didn't find it on this cruise.

About the 9:15 seating, it is still early for people in Spain.

I'm also interested to hear about the seating arrangements. We like to share a table but don't speak any Spanish so would prefer to have English speaking tablemates. Do you know if RCL made an effort to do this?

I am assuming that our cruise will have mostly Spanish passengers as its currently being sold on RCLs Spanish website for a lot less than here in the UK.

Look forward to your full review, Julie

Yes, they are trying to accomodate you to an English speaking table on the AOS (as much as possible, I have to say - though no guarantee).

We were on a waiting list for late seating and got a table on the second night (AOS - June 2010, 4 nights leaving from Barcelona). However, we were placed to a large table where not only the guests but also the waiters spoke Spanish only (one waiter assistant tried really hard to use his basic English while communicating to us). The Head waiter as well as us addressed the issue and the very next day we were seating at a different table, English only : )

Sorry for the delay in my responses - now back at home.

Did not use the wi-fi - aside from onshore when hubby used his I phone.

We asked for a table change because the one allocated on deck 4 was in a very high traffic area. We prefer to sit on our own table for four and were offered space on a table for 10 - all Danish speaking. We were then offered a table for four in the La Notte section of the deck 3 area of the dining room. This was off to one side but felt like a rather exclusive separate dining room and we enjoyed the experience.

Ports were fine and hot!! Palma was busy with four other large ships in port at the same time. If there is more than one in your party a taxi will only cost 10 Euros each way and you choose where you are dropped off. RCI will charge you 6 Euros per person and drop you off where they choose.

The Port and Shopping Guide offers free trips to and from the Orquidea pearl factory. This is just a coach there and back into town - not a guided tour you are just dropped off to shop. Takes about 2 - 2.5 hours in total. Unfortunately the bracelet my daughter broke the first time she tried to put it on and we have left it with the Port and Shopping Guide to obtain us a replacement. This store is covered by the shopping guarantee.

Also must mention that lobster was no longer available in the MDR. Our waiter told us that it was not a popular choice with the Spanish on the first couple of cruises and there was a lot of wastage and so it is no longer a choice. I was disappointed as I love lobster.

Karen

Thanks for posting again, Karen

Sorry to pester but I think my questions got lost way back :o

Can you tell me how formal were the formal nights? i.e. would we stick out like sore thumbs if my husband wears a tux, the boys wear suits and I wear a (short) cocktail dress?

also, do you happen to know whether the white party will allow my 17 year old? I understand it's on deck in the Solarium, but do they have age restrictions?

Thanks

Formal night - the first one on day 2 - saw all sorts of dress. There were tuxedos, suits, ball gowns, cocktail dresses - the lot! We did formal and did not look at all out of place.

Second formal on day 5 was a little different as lots of the Spanish seemed to have had advance notification of the White Party on Deck 11 and wore all degrees of dress in readiness for that. Do not think that there were age restrictions for that - will take a look at my Compass and post on here asap.

There were shorts worn very frequently in the dining room - teenage girls with fashion ones and men in 3/4 ones that looked a little smarter than beach ones. I do not think the dress code was being enforced.

I would also add that many people who seemed not to get their choice of late dinner seating, seemed to turn up rather late for the first sitting too!

I would say that the ship was full to bursting and I understand that this was due to some bargain pricing in Malaga. Many of the crew we spoke to had heard of this too. Did not try to purchase upgrade and saw no one doing so at the Pier Co-Ordinators desk. Free upgrade to a Grand Suite was offered as a bingo prize on the first sea day.

Now better get on with that review!

Karen

We were on July 17 sailing and had Motown (American Dream) and "Beatles Meniacs" - Motown was excellent, Beatles not so good. We saw Bootleg Beatles on IoS and they were good, but this lot tried to cover too much. Shame was at the end they dropped trying to look like the Beatles and it was clear they were a very very good band.

Anyone wanting to switch to early seating needn't worry- we were pulled out of the long queue for table switches and sorted out when they heard we were giving up a late table. There seemed to be lots of half empty tables on the early sitting.

Interesting about the "bargain pricing" - one of the staff said it was well over capacity due to an unusually high proportion of rooms having 3 or 4 people in them. We've looked at prices for next year and they have really gone up - interior is not far short what we paid for JS this year. They seem to be doing a Saturday changeover in Malaga and then Sunday in Valencia next year.

Also interesting what is being said about lobster - our waiter just said that they had dropped lobster, baked alaska etc on European sailings generally.

First thing we knew about the white theme was the note of "Formal/pool party white" on the Compass. I didn't think the Spanish guests had prior warning - I think they just wear more white in southern Spain anyway so had it ready!! No age restrictions on that party-my daughter (12) went. Just learn your merengues and salsas and get on the dance floor at the very beginning - it got full very quickly and people were dancing on the deck above.

hello everyone!

we will be sailing the adventure of the seas on september 4, 2010. it's crazy that we will be overseas in less than 4 weeks and we can't wait. i heard many good things about this ship and i was wondering if anybody had any recommendations on what we could check out at the ports. we already are set for rome :) i didn't realize that it was mostly a spanish speaking ship. we speak english, so hopefully we'll be able to get by on the cruise with some form of communication. that's a great tip about the white party. we'll have to keep that in mind while packing. :D

Archived