Turkish Markets and Credit Cards

mahondi2389

Okay, last minute details - way too much thinking going on. On my MSC cruise to Bari, Turkey, Greece, Croatia, I'm hoping to do a lot of shopping in the Turkish markets. I undetstand there is a lot of gold there? Here's my question, do they accept credit cards? Think it's a good idea to buy gold in these markets? Does someone have a place that's great to buy gold in their experience or some place to definitely stay away from? Thanks for any guidance.

You will see jewelry stores everywhere and lots and lots of gold. IME, they all take credit cards. I purchased some lovely earrings and had to take them to a jeweler at home because the posts were huge; much too large to wear. The jeweler took one look at them and said, "You got these in Turkey didn't you? I think they must use nails to pierce their ears there."

You will find that the stores do take credit cards.

Do not get caught up at the starting prices.

There is a lot of room to negotiate and if you walk there are man other stores to shop at.

Negotate in USA currency.

Know what you really want and inspect it very carefully.

Keith

I don't think you would have an issue most of the shops do accept Visa and Mastercard- not so much Discover or American Express. In the bazaar for smaller purchases its cash, and use smaller denominations because they may not have change for larger bills. Gold , also rugs , evil eye jewelry (Greece & Turkey) lanterns, Turkish delight candies(yum), leather, silk scarves, ceramics and brass. I just hope you know how to bargain or haggle. (If not brush up on them skills) Haggling is normal and expected, the trick is know how much you are willing to pay for it. For me its the thrill of the game.

And everyone tea doesn't tastes the same. A good tip: Before you leave the country ALWAYS call your bank which your credit card is and tell them where you are going internationally, because they may think fraud and freeze your card & account.(true story happened to my friend in Paris, Bank of America did it to her) I love Istanbul- food is awesome, people are so nice.

Check the price of gold before you leave home. You will probably not find a bargain - with or without the cc.

I was looking at a plain gold bracelet (nothing much to me ) and it was $400 - maybe I could have bargained them down - but not me - it was too much to even start with. and I wanted 4 of them for family members.

After being in alot of these countries over the years - I don't trust the price of anywhere or anything without doing research.

Hope you get what you want,

MaryAnn

Archived