Those of you that did Western Caribbean on Dream

biksgirl

I'm wondering how many actually made it to Mahogany Bay in Roatan? More and more reviews seem to say "because of high winds we couldn't dock there"....is the captain just avoiding docking here, or are the winds that much of an issue.

If you dock at Coxen Hole, what beach can you get to and approx. how much does it cost? We are a party of 25 and the plan was for the young kids and grandparents to stay at the beach while the rest of us went to Clip'n'zip...I hope this will happen!

TIA!!

We couldn't dock there. We did Tabyana Beach and thoroughly enjoyed it - I'd do it again in a flash. We did the Carnival tour, but I'm thinking you can probably arrange one on the pier.

The winds were an issue in May.

biksgirl

thanks for asking this question. I too would like to know the answer.

Milehigh.

was it a problem to book a beach excursion at the last minute when you found out you couldn't dock?

Is is possible to take a taxi to the beach?

Thanks

biksgirl

thanks for asking this question. I too would like to know the answer.

Milehigh.

was it a problem to book a beach excursion at the last minute when you found out you couldn't dock?

Is is possible to take a taxi to the beach?

Thanks

Didn't mean to mislead you - we had previously booked Tabyana Beach. There were plenty of people on the tour with us that had not booked it, as they planned to do Mahogany Bay - they didn't have a problem doing the change at the pier. I'm sure a cab is an alternative as well - but I don't know what the charges are when you arrive at the beach. The sand there is fine, no shelly shoreline, and the water is beautiful.

We are doing Roatan again next week on the Legend - I'll ask for you when I'm there.

I'm wondering how many actually made it to Mahogany Bay in Roatan? More and more reviews seem to say "because of high winds we couldn't dock there"....is the captain just avoiding docking here, or are the winds that much of an issue.

The biggest issue (in my oh so humble, no knowledge about sailing or maritime skills) is that the ship is 'backing in' to the dock there and there is not a lot of room at all on either side of the ship. I know when we were docking we were just amazed they could fit through there and get it just right.

I am sure that the captain wants to dock there since the whole Mahogany Bay area is owned by Carnival! We were on Princess in April and while we were able to dock in Mahogany Bay, we couldn't leave that afternoon due to high winds. The Dream was behind us, and they were stuck too since we couldn't leave. I don't know if they would have been able to leave if we weren't blocking them but we missed Cozumel and they missed Belize. The channel is very narrow, so if it is windy it is difficult to navigate.

Docking at Mahogany Bay is problematic. It is a very narrow channel through the reef to get to the dock and as huge as even the smallest cruise ships are they are like big sails and subject to even slight winds which could blow them into the reef.

Carnival Dream 5-1-10 sailing

Missed it, couldn't dock because high winds caused sludge in the channel leading into Mahogany Bay (this is what was announced to us anyway)

Docked on the other side of the island at the town dock. We had planned to just go to Mahogany Beach when we were docked there. Since we missed docking there, we just stayed on the ship.

There's been discussion on the Roatan board about missing MBCC. It seems that if the Carnival ship docks in Coxen Hole instead of MBCC, they do NOT open MBCC and transport cruisers there. Can those of you who missed MBCC, confirm this? Did the ship/CD announce this? Or was not going to MBCC a personal choice?

There's been discussion on the Roatan board about missing MBCC. It seems that if the Carnival ship docks in Coxen Hole instead of MBCC, they do NOT open MBCC and transport cruisers there. Can those of you who missed MBCC, confirm this? Did the ship/CD announce this? Or was not going to MBCC a personal choice?

We went to somewhere called the Town dock. I cannot get the pictures to embed in this message from smugMug, they just don't show up. You will have to go to our cruise journals (link below) to see where we docked. It was fairly large with stores and shops. The only things that were canceled were the Mahogany Bag cabana rentals. Other Carnival excursions went out as scheduled from the dock we docked at. It only affected one or two excursions. The ones who had problems were the private excursions, although some did go. There were people complaining about losing deposits and no being able to contact or call the private vendor they booked with. (We only overheard complaints so the accuracy of the private vendor problems you would have to get with someone who was affected.) Because of the cancellations, and the amount of time this port is missed, I would book a Carnival tour in Roatan. It seems the ship must have contacted their excursion vendors because they were there shortly after we docked and the Carnival excursions stayed on schedule pretty much.

Never heard of the place you mentioned although it could have been the place we docked although there were several signs and none of them mentioned the place you did. I do know it was on the opposite side of the island and the Captain announced we were able to go there because there were no other ships in that port that day.

we were not able to dock in june-half our group (23 people) had planned to stay in on the beach and the other half do clip & zip, then meeting up at the beach. needless to say this threw us all out of whack. MBCC did NOT open - i asked this question to Carnival and they said that it wasn't worth opening if we didn't dock there. So the beach half just went in to the shops where we did dock, and the rest did zip lining through a company we found at the dock.

Thanks rosiemannc. That's what I thought.

Viaggi...MBCC = Mahoganey Bay Cruise Center. That's where you dock in Mahoganey Bay. The "town" dock is Coxen Hole. Before MBCC was opened in December last year, this was where all the ships docked. This is where non Carnival, Princess and HAL ships dock regularly now. Most, but maybe not all, private vendors do have kiosks at the Coxen Hole dock as well. You do have to get off the ship to get to them though. The ship is not going to tell you this,as they want their excursions filled. But it is probably a good idea to ask your private vendor what the alternative is if you do not dock in MBCC.

July 10, we did not dock at Mahogany...We then booked the Tabayana beach..LOVED it.! The only problem was the refund of the money we had paid for the Mahogany beach Cabanas.

I booked and paid for them weeks before the cruise on my credit card...But, when refunded, the money was refunded to the Cabin accounts-we had 3 Rooms. Since one of the cabana rentals was a treat for one of our other cabins, they refunded the cost of one of that cabana to that cabin's sign and sail account, which was not mine, nor my cabin..Took a while but finally got my money back...

Archived