Silver Cloud

Boatie

We are planning a trip next summer and are interested in 2 trips that the Cloud is offering. There will be 14 of us..including children. We have taken them on the Mariner to Alaska and the Navigator to the Baltic. My concerns are the size of the Cloud and that it needs to be refurbished.

Thanks Boatie

We are planning a trip next summer and are interested in 2 trips that the Cloud is offering. There will be 14 of us..including children. We have taken them on the Mariner to Alaska and the Navigator to the Baltic. My concerns are the size of the Cloud and that it needs to be refurbished. Thanks Boatie

Welcome to the Cruise Critic Boards. Last month, we did over two weeks on the Silver Cloud and loved it. Below, you can look at the details for our trip along the Norway Coast, seeing the fjords and going up to the North Cape and back to Copenhagen, etc. There are lots and lots of pictures on the Silver Cloud, its offerings, facilities, staff, food, pool, back deck, touring the bridge, ship services, etc. Here are some highlights on what I said, plus some sample pictures, etc.

KEY SUMMARY:

One key question that came bouncing up on these boards prior to our cruise was whether the Silver Cloud was . . . “TOO OLD?”.

I was not that worried, but I wanted to check the facts and form my own opinion. The answer, in my view, is . . . NO! . . . but . . . there are some qualifiers and factors to consider in how the owners deal with some issues in the future and/or some specifics that could be made better. This is only our third cruise after Seabourn Spirit for the Greek Isles/Turkish Coast in 2006 and Crystal Symphony for the Baltics/Russia in 2008.

The Silver Cloud began service in 1994 and it does have that older, timeless, well-aged patina that still knows how to have fun, be functional and flexible. When I mentioned my phrase that called this ship like a “classy broad”, I was quickly corrected by a proper English woman on the ship to say “classy lady”. Point well taken! We did not need the “newest, flashy” feel. Sometimes the “newest” ages fast and gets out of fashion. Good and comfortable are fine with us.

There are fears, however, that an upcoming Silver Cloud re-do could be “too much” or take it in the wrong direction, like how some Hollywood stars suffer from too much Botox or skin-stretching plastic surgery. That major re-do was supposed to be done last year and it might be coming in the next year. Many on the Silver Cloud love it . . . “just the way it is right now”. I can understand why!!! BUT, what does Silversea do to change and update things to attract new, younger audiences, changing market conditions and needs? It will be a delicate balance for their management.

There are six public decks with a crew of 212 on the Silver Cloud. Lots of singles were on this sold-out cruise and the final passenger total was 268, not the stated capacity of 296. The ship is rated as being 16,800 tons (compared to the Symphony at 51,000 tons and Seabourn Spirit at 10,000 tons). Our Silver Cloud room (not counting the balcony) was 240 sq. ft. (versus 202 sq. ft. with Crystal and 277 sq. ft. on Seabourn).

Silversea bills the ship as “the most intimate of sailing experiences” with “fewer guests, more space and the ability to slip into exotic ports off the beaten path.” They call it “a grand hotel, as gracious as a long-time friends’ home. Each all ocean-view suite provides a sumptuous retreat. Each public space is intimate yet inviting. It’s a warm feeling of home upon the seas of the earth.” There is a little “hype” there, but it is mostly all true. Plus, they also boast of “our six-star level of luxury”. One review accurately said: “elegant without being stuffy, fun, but not too frivolous, ideal for couples who enjoy fine food, sublime service and intimacy and combined with the truly all-inclusive fare”.

Like any ship (including with Seabourn and Crystal) there are a few minor areas showing some wear and tear (if you look long and hard enough). Overall, I was impressed with how the crew is always taking good care of the ship, painting, cleaning, polishing, etc.

Like an older house or building (we live in a home built in 1929), there are, however, the normal mechanical challenges that happen when certain of these ship systems get “old” and need to be replaced or re-designed for the Twenty First Century. Early in our trip, we got moved (terrible!!) to a mid-ship balcony (from Vista 427) and another friend had a water leak in the cabin above him, forcing their move/shift. When ships like this are at a certain age, get used so much by a large number of different people and have to battle the sea air, water and rough weather conditions, it takes a toll over time. Many of these “systems” are behind the scenes and hidden from the eye. Fixing or changing them takes major time and costs real money. Many of these issues cannot be solved with just new wall coverings or carpet.

NEW IMPROVEMENTS: There were some new wicker chairs on the outdoor Terrace deck and around the pool that had fresh-looking orange pads. These news chairs are the same type used on the new Silver Spirit. They have a nice look/feel and are light/easy to move around.

OVERALL: I loved the use of the cherry-style wood in the suites, its excellent condition; the speed of the elevators; the easy-to-understand, simple lay-out of the ship; the back Terrace deck for dining; the Panorama Lounge and its walk-out deck with great old chairs; walking around the top decks; the size and lay-out of the pool area (way too small on Seabourn’s first set of the triplets); having elevators that goes down to the third deck for debarking; nice library and news options; simple Internet sign-on and set-up; the two-level Venetian Lounge with excellent AV/lighting for a ship this size, etc., etc. Lots to love and enjoy on the Silver Cloud before you get into the wonderful food, great staff and interesting fellow passengers.

Read through this below series of postings as we sailed. How old are your children? Where are you planning this trip, for how long?

THANKS! Let us know any added questions, comments, etc. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, personal interests and travel style, etc. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

There is live music by this quartet for the enjoyment of guest experiencing this noon buffet in the main dining room.:

CloudBuffetLiveMusic.jpg

Here is the Silver Cloud traveling through the fjords, showing the pool area, decks, etc. :

FjordsPoolViews.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the living area and balcony. They use lots of large mirrored walls to give a roomier feel and look.:

CloudLRBalconyWider.jpg

This is a view of the sleeping area. With my CPAP machine and snoring, this two single bed arrangement worked for our needs. Or, they can have it set up with the two beds put together. It’s your choice that you tell them of in advance.:

CloudSleepingArea.jpg

Our last lunch was on the outdoor Terrace Café deck. Super great location, food, service and people!

CloudFinalLunchTerrace.jpg

Outside of the Silver Cloud’s Panorama Lounge is this wonderful, sheltered outdoor area with nicely-traditional deck chairs. You needed blankets, but it worked well in great comfort for being so far above the Arctic Circle. Some are napping, some enjoying a book and one gentleman has his Kindle electronic reader. Very tech savvy!:

CloudBackOutdoorLounging.jpg

Good question by TLC Ohio - how old are your kids? Because I would never take kids on a Silversea ship. There is nothing to do for them and if they are young they want to play and run around. By this most of the other passengers will be disturbed very soon.

Good question by TLC Ohio - how old are your kids? Because I would never take kids on a Silversea ship. There is nothing to do for them and if they are young they want to play and run around. By this most of the other passengers will be disturbed very soon.

The original question was kind of about the ship's condition. BUT, from the wise comments above, plus those by jgibbs, the ages and interests of the children could seriously impact/involve what people can and cannot do on the ship. If they are doing a port-intensive cruise, that is less of a problem or challenge. If the children are young and/or there are lots of sea days, the fit might not be right or best on the Silver Cloud. More info would help!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

What are the two iteneraries you are considering? This would have a lot to do with your decision. There will be there some on this board that would not care with go with a party of 14 (with children), no matter how well behaved they are. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I have been on several sailings on the Silver Seas and I do agree with the consensus that kids aren't welcome. As mannerly as they may be they are kids!!! The reason for the question is that the sailing in June doing the British Isles for 10 days seemed so perfect. We are able to go either the last 2 weeks of June or the last 2 weeks of August due to Camp schedules...and beginning of the school year.

I am travelling with my husband on the Sojourn sailing the 26th, of September, which we are looking forward to. The Sojourn has a trip in August 2011 doing the Fjords but I am afraid that will be boring for the kids and I don't know about the facility on board for kids.

So any suggestions would be appreciated. Alsaka and the Baltic trips were so great for them

Thanks, "Boatie"

Thanks for the feedback. I have been on several sailings on the Silver Seas and I do agree with the consensus that kids aren't welcome. As mannerly as they may be they are kids!!! The reason for the question is that the sailing in June doing the British Isles for 10 days seemed so perfect. We are able to go either the last 2 weeks of June or the last 2 weeks of August due to Camp schedules...and beginning of the school year.

I am travelling with my husband on the Sojourn sailing the 26th, of September, which we are looking forward to. The Sojourn has a trip in August 2011 doing the Fjords but I am afraid that will be boring for the kids and I don't know about the facility on board for kids. So any suggestions would be appreciated. Alsaka and the Baltic trips were so great for them. Thanks, "Boatie"

Appreciate the added background and info. What are the ages, number and interests for your kids????

On our early July Silver Cloud cruise, there was one child. She was a super cute and very nice three-year-old from Belgium traveling with her parents and three of the grandparents. It worked fine for everyone as they had their "group". With a family of fourteen, maybe it would work. I wouldn't rule it out. Much depends on how your kids interact within the family and with others, what they need to keep them interested and happy, etc.

Do you have any other questions on the Silver Cloud and its conditions, facilities, offerings, etc.?

Actually, Seabourn now provides a counselor and activities for kids during the summer months on the larger ships. Still, I heartily agree with those who feel that children do not belong on a luxury line. jmo.

good,:o send them on Seabourn !!

I am travelling with my husband on the Sojourn sailing the 26th, of September, which we are looking forward to. The Sojourn has a trip in August 2011 doing the Fjords but I am afraid that will be boring for the kids and I don't know about the facility on board for kids.

So any suggestions would be appreciated. Alsaka and the Baltic trips were so great for them

Thanks, "Boatie"

Just finished an excellent Cloud cruise yesterday.It is not child friendly as there is no entertainment for children.It sounds as if the Spirit is the ship for children in the Silversea fleet but I was infomed that no specific child activities are planned on any of the fleet Thank goodness! Royal Carribbean line has fantastc facilities for kids!

We just returned from the UK and Ireland cruise on August 13. I saw a family with two children, estimated ages of 12 and 8. Apparently they weren't very welcome and were asked to leave the cruise in Dublin. The from what I heard and saw the young boy was wandering around, going up to people and making a pest of himself. I'm not sure of the exact circumstances, but word on the ship was that the family was asked to leave and were given hotel vouchers and tranfers back to London.

We just returned from the UK and Ireland cruise on August 13. I saw a family with two children, estimated ages of 12 and 8. Apparently they weren't very welcome and were asked to leave the cruise in Dublin. The from what I heard and saw the young boy was wandering around, going up to people and making a pest of himself. I'm not sure of the exact circumstances, but word on the ship was that the family was asked to leave and were given hotel vouchers and tranfers back to London.

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Appreciate your post and would love to hear more on your cruise, impressions of the Silver Cloud, etc. TELL US MORE! Don't be shy!

This is an interesting story on the family with two children who were exited. As I noted on our July 1-16 cruise, there was one child. She was a super cute and very nice three-year-old from Belgium traveling with her parents and three of the grandparents. It worked fine for everyone as they had their "group" and she was very well behaved.

Personally, I kind of like kids, of all ages. There can be kids, however, including in their 20's, 30's and 40's who mis-behave and cause problems for others. It is good to hear that Silversea was not afraid to "bounce" those who are disruptive. I would not assume, however, that all children are bad or won't fit. If the circumstance are right, it might work. It just needs to be carefully considered and planned, BEFORE, booking and doing the cruise.

On our Med cruise in May there was one boy on board about 10 yrs old, traveling with his grandparents. He was extremely well behaved - I made a point of telling his grandfather what a good impression the boy had made on us. The boy was never allowed to run about the ship alone; they were always with him. If children don't behave well, don't blame them, blame their parents.

"Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Appreciate your post and would love to hear more on your cruise, impressions of the Silver Cloud, etc. TELL US MORE! Don't be shy!"

We had a great cruise, enjoyed by one and all. We were a family of 7, ages 32 through 85. I, along with my wife and her father, had been on the Silver Shadow last year in Alaska. There were a lot of similarities and differences that I found on this cruise. As background, I'm 58 and have taken about 21 cruises over the past 28 years. I've sailed on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Holland America, NCL, Oceania, Royal Cruise Line (defunct), Sitmar, Seabourne, and Cunard, so I feel I have a pretty good idea of the differences between lines.

I frequently compare and contrast the different cruises and lines. This cruise was no different. As I stated before I really enjoyed this cruise. My enjoyment is not predicated on how fancy the stateroom is or delicious the food; instead it is how much I enjoyed the company with whom I'm traveling and the interest of the places visited. When comparing the Silver Cloud and the Silver Shadow I don't know if the differences are caused by the cruise line or the individual ship. I'll list my likes and dislikes:

Food: I found the food much tastier last year. Perhaps it was because last year the provisions were from the U.S. (steak in particular). The breakfasts in both the dining room and buffet were not to my liking. The eggs in the steam tray were always underdone and yet when made to order they were not much better. I prefer being served, but the service in the dining room was very slow. Dinners invariably took at least two hours to be completed. For some that is fine, but with an 85 year old, it was not enjoyable. We were among the first to be seated and the last to leave. And we did not order off the menu. The problem was with the staff. I believe they were understaffed. Plates would be left empty for 10 to 15 minutes without clearance. To me this was unacceptable. I also believe that Silversea is trying to cut their cost by hiring dining room staff that are not sophisticated in food or wine service. As this is supposed to be luxury dining I find it annoying when the waiter will offer a bottle of savignon blanc and pronounce is saw vig non blank. I get the distinct impression that they are reading scripts and really don't understand what they are talking about. Whereas the waitstaff in a fine restaurant knows the food and the wine. Ok, enough carping, but this is how I saw it. Last year I think there were more informed dining staff. The service was much better in the Italian restaurant.

Stateroom: The cabins are spacious. The change from a steward to a butler was nice. I really enjoyed that. Ours was always available, courteous, but never "overfriendly". The bathroom needed refurbishment. The medicine cabinet was in disrepair, the fixtures were worn, and some of the grout lines needed repair. The towels were not soft.

By the way Terry, I had read your trip report from the Cape and really enjoyed it. Your tip about one electrical outlet was very helpful. Before leaving I purchased multi-receptacle plug to facilitate our computer, camera, cell phone etc. Great help!

Thats all for now,

Bob

Stateroom: The cabins are spacious. The change from a steward to a butler was nice. I really enjoyed that. Ours was always available, courteous, but never "overfriendly". The bathroom needed refurbishment. The medicine cabinet was in disrepair, the fixtures were worn, and some of the grout lines needed repair. The towels were not soft.

By the way Terry, I had read your trip report from the Cape and really enjoyed it. Your tip about one electrical outlet was very helpful. Before leaving I purchased multi-receptacle plug to facilitate our computer, camera, cell phone etc. Great help! Thats all for now, Bob

THANKS, Bob, for your excellent outline of various experiences during your Silver Cloud cruise! Certain of these loves and "concerns" match points I noted and raised. I'm glad to be helpful on the electrical outlet challenge that exists on many cruise ships. We have lots of "stuff" that need "juice". There's never enough outlets. Bringing extension cords and/or multiple plugs can be helpful.

Contrary to your experience, fortunately, we had very good service from our waiters in the main dining room with excellent knowledge/responses on our questions, etc. Agree strongly on the cabin size, the butler program, etc. It's nice to hear of your experiences. Sounds like you've had lots of great cruise experiences. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived