Which elite suite complex would you book if money were no object?

Dan Askin

Which elite suite complex would you book if money were no object?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Which elite suite complex would you book if money were no object?

• Cunard's Grill Class -- I like the traditional vibe and elegant suites.
    • NCL's Courtyard -- I like Freestyle Cruising in high style.
    • MSC's Yacht Club -- I like my spacious suites to have international flair.
    • Any of them -- I'm not picky about where I find my luxury.
    • None of the above -- I think classed cruising is elitist and old-school.
    • Something else -- I'll post below.

A personal whirlpool would be nice. Also, enough room to walk around the bed so I don't have to turn sideways. Oh yes, and maybe a shower that is big enough so that the curtain does not touch your body (love those ships with hard shower doors). Other than that, I've never seen why anyone would want a kitchenette or a dining room in their cabin. I have never or would never eat in my cabin or on the balcony.

So I would probably vote to upgrade the ship rather than the room and I would choose a ship with mostly port days. Then I would be tired at night and I would not miss the big ship entertainment which I enjoy

I don't care what others have just so it does not bring down what I have. With the areas only if you pay more (Sanctuary on Priness or the specialty restaurants for example) I want to expect the level that I am used to in food and area. For example if a good steak or lobster were ONLY available if you paid a premium I would be upset -- and I do see hints that this is happening. If I can only go to the rear deck to look out if I "pay the price like the Sanctuary fee" I think that is wrong -- that is a premium part of the ship. But oh that's right they sell the view off the back for big bucks.

I guess it comes down to my pride. I at least get to brag how cheap I got the inside room for and how I came this close to getting a 2 level upgrade to an inside closer to the middle.;) I would rather take more cruises than take them in a suite. My choice.

While we love the Yacht idea, we do love to people watch so would book the nicest suite on Princess.

By the way............how do you know that the person sitting next to you at a show dressed in jeans and a t-shirt is not mega wealthy? Some just don't like to flaunt their money and really don't care about "upper crust status"

While we love the Yacht idea, we do love to people watch so would book the nicest suite on Princess.

By the way............how do you know that the person sitting next to you at a show dressed in jeans and a t-shirt is not mega wealthy? Some just don't like to flaunt their money and really don't care about "upper crust status"

So very true. I work a second part time job in retail. We are told not to make any assumptions regarding peoples appearances and you just never know.

Some people buy without even looking at price tags, spending $3000-5000 like it's no big deal. I sell luggage and I cannot tell you how many people come in and purchase several pieces of Tumi for their teenaged kids.

Some of them look like they need to buy new clothing and get a haircut instead.

On the opposite side of the story, we'll have people dressed to the nines come in and nitpick about the cheapest products we carry. I have the hardest time not sending them to Target for luggage. Many people have no idea that good quality and cheap prices don't go together.

We want to know -- if money were no object, which would you book? Vote in our poll and be sure to leave comments below!
Gee Dan, your personal views don't show through AT ALL with your questions.:rolleyes:

People make these kinds of decisions every day whether it's trains, planes, or automobiles. Comments that this is a return to the early-20th century class system 1) show that the person making the comments hasn't bothered to do a little basic research to understand the distinction between social classes and classes of service and 2) obviously suffers an inferiority complex when confronted with things they can't afford.

There are lots of people who prefer not to mix with anyone else on a ship regardless of their choice of cabin. Look how many threads there are about people who just want a table for two in the dining room to avoid ever having to interact with anyone else.

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on digs like this. A plain old regular suite will do. But, as ships get ever larger, the ability to get that "small ship" experience is sometimes worth a few extra dollars.

I ...(Todd English is superior to the Queens Grill).

Hank

I agree that one should get a superior dining experience in addiiton to the cabin for all that extra money, and that it appears that Cunard is the only line that does that, but the above sentence is just plain absurd. The Grills are far superior to Todd English on both the QM2 and the QV. In addition, Cunard is a one class ship. Separate dining categories do not constitute separate classes. I find that many who post on these boards who've never travelled on the traditional great liners have no clue of what they're talking about in these matters.

Ok folks, I feel a need to again express a point. Cruise lines such as Princess, HA, RCI, Celebrity, Carnival as all what is know as "mass market cruise lines." In a majority of cases most cruisers will spend their entire cruise life on these so-called "mass market" lines. We have happily cruised on nearly all the mass market lines and have loved every cruise. But, there is a level of cruising that is totally different and these are the luxury cruise lines upon which a majority of cruisers will never cruise. In fact, we have discovered that many cruisers don't even know about these lines (we have been on a few). My point is that even the best accomodations on a mass market ship still means you are still aboad a "mass market ship." Sure you can buy a custom volkswagon with extra space, but it is still a volkswagon and will never be a Rolls. Many of the luxury lines have been offering some fantastic deals in the past year that in many cases gets their cost down to less then what one would pay for a large suite on a mass market line. Think of being on a ship where the space ratio is more then double any mass market ship, where the crew (not just your steward) knows your name , where you can dine in a restaurant that is truly 5 star, where all your drinks (including booze) are included, etc. Guess it all comes down to whether you are the type person who likes the most expensive home in a moderate neighborhood, or would prefer to have a typical home in a very exclusive neighborhood. Regarding Cunard and the QMII, based on our most recent crossing (this past June) there were an awful lot of folks very unhappy with the "Grill."

Hank

As I suggested on another thread a few minutes ago, "mass market" is an odd use among folks who constitute the upper crust. The cheapest inside cabin on the lowest passenger deck on the biggest ship in the industry is luxury beyond the wild dreams of 98 percent of the world population. Of course, one ought to get what one pays for, but I cannot help but base my cruise criticism on the first several cruises I took -- as a Marine pfc aboard the old USS Princeton (LPH 5) six decades ago. I would love to be able to afford -- and whine about -- butler-class service on a 100-passenger boutique boat. But I'd trade it in a Sasebo minute for the chance to stand at parade rest on the edge of the flight deck on the long, slow progress into the moorage.

I agree that one should get a superior dining experience in addiiton to the cabin for all that extra money, and that it appears that Cunard is the only line that does that, but the above sentence is just plain absurd. The Grills are far superior to Todd English on both the QM2 and the QV. In addition, Cunard is a one class ship. Separate dining categories do not constitute separate classes. I find that many who post on these boards who've never travelled on the traditional great liners have no clue of what they're talking about in these matters.

Are you kidding? I've read the description of various cabin categories. The higher category your suite, the more amenities and extra benefits you receive. What is it exactly when Queen's Grill suite passengers have butlers, en suite dining, champagne, private lounges, private sundeck, priority check-in, etc. and the Brittania Inside cabins receive, well, none of the above? That's not a "class system"? Really?

Mind you, I'm not saying it's bad; just that it's disengenuous to claim that Cunard is a "one class ship."

beachchick

Are you kidding? I've read the description of various cabin categories. The higher category your suite, the more amenities and extra benefits you receive. For a price, of course. And that price can be steep. What is it exactly when Queen's Grill suite passengers have butlers, en suite dining, champagne, private lounges, private sundeck, priority check-in, etc. and the Brittania Inside cabins receive, well, none of the above? That's not a "class system"? Really?
Moral indignation is just jealousy wearing a halo.

Are you kidding? I've read the description of various cabin categories. The higher category your suite, the more amenities and extra benefits you receive. What is it exactly when Queen's Grill suite passengers have butlers, en suite dining, champagne, private lounges, private sundeck, priority check-in, etc. and the Brittania Inside cabins receive, well, none of the above? That's not a "class system"? Really?

Mind you, I'm not saying it's bad; just that it's disengenuous to claim that Cunard is a "one class ship."

beachchick

Actually, on the QM2 many of the Queens Grill suites are not very impressive. Because of the design of the liner, many of those suites have balconies that provide a great view of the lifeboats (with the sea beyond). And yes, they do have wonderful butler service but they do expect you to tip even more then the normal amount. As to the Queens Grill, the menus are, for the most part, quite similar (and many things are the same) as the items offered in Britania. Perhaps the situation was best summed-up by some friends of ours who were also on the Queen Mary (in a Queens Grill Suite) who said, "The experience was completely underwhelming." That being said, we would happily cruise on the Queen again and think it is the nicest way to get across the Atlantic but would also save ourselves many thousands of dollars by booking a normal cabin and spending a few extra dollars to go back to Todd English and some of the other interesting dining venues (many of which have no supplement) such as the Asian tasting dinner that was outstanding. We also heard some good things about the Indian Tasting dinner (no supplement) which we missed. Since we are on the subject of the "Queen" there is an issue that would not please many folks these days. It is a very formal ship. On a 6 day crossing they have 3 formal nights where gentleman are expected to wear a Tux (most do wear Tuxes) or a suit and must also where a tie. It was interesting to go to the Black and White Ball late at night and see almost all the men still wearing their tuxes and many of the ladies in gowns or classy cocktail dresses. We did not see anyone changing into jeans or shorts after dinner. We have cruised on more then 50 different ships and will quickly admit that the "Queens" are truly unique and a lot of fun. But, for many cruisers who are addicted to the typical Caribbean cruise experience on a mega-ship, the Queen would be a real shock. Its hard to imagine hundreds of passengers, in formal clothes, dancing a waltz in a ballroom (the size of many ship atriums) with music provided by a 17 piece big band whose idea of contemporary music is Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Hank

My point is that even the best accomodations on a mass market hip still means you are still aboard a "mass market ship." Hank

Amen, Hank! ;)

A mass market cruise line could design a ship with a fabulous 5 bedroom 5 bath suite with every amenity known to man and charge $100k for a week in the Western Caribbean. Someone, somewhere would pay the $100k. As soon as that someone steps out of his or her suite, he or she is in mass market land and the same person who paid $1k is making use of the exact same public spaces.

Dan, since you asked a hypothetical question, if $$$ was no object, I would have my own personal mega yacht with a hand-picked crew who would cater to my every need 24/7. I would have no desire to share my cruising experiences with strangers. Luxury lines wouldn't even come close. ;)

Moral indignation is just jealousy wearing a halo.

I just wanted to make sure this wasn't directed at me? I hope it's clear that I have no problem, no indignation, and no jealousy with the various perks and amenities that go with the higher end cabins and suites. We have only ever cruised in one suite and had a lovely time, but we had no problem doing back "down" to our usual balcony cabin or mini-suite.

To be honest, I'd love to be able to book the super suites or even have a yacht of my own (hey, a girl can dream, right?), but I sure don't begrudge it for those who do--I just want that too, which is quite different from being resentful or envious.

beachchick

Dear Hank,

I think you may have sold me on Cunard. Sounds fabulous.

LOL. We thought the Queen Mary II was a totally unique ship (it was designed with that in mind). As an example, the other megaships that we see in the Caribbean all have huge soaring atriums that take up a tremendous amount of the ship's internal public spaces. But the Cunard Liners have designed their ships to have some amazing public rooms (as opposed to atriums). The ballrooms are unique as is the formality. We had to wait in a long queue to get into one of the daily teas that was always held in the main ballroom (this room can easily seat over 1000). The teas were packed, the music was grand, the waiters dressed in their finery and wearing white gloves served the tea, scones, finger sandwiches, etc. During the relaxing sea days (remember, we did a crossing with no ports) we could to to the Planatarium for an afternoon show, see a movie in the movie theater, go to an afternoon Shakespeare production (performed by professionally trained actors), attend a concert performed by a world-class pianist, etc. On the other hand they also had an excellent Caribbean band aboard. We also thought that Queen was carefully designed for dancers with its huge dance floor (larger then entire public rooms on many ships) and excellent orchestras (as opposed to 3 piece rock groups). They actually had two seperate "big band" groups on board (with 8 or 9 musicians each) which they combined for special balls and also had a big band singer that was in his glory belting out Sinatra tunes. This ship is a "Liner" as opposed to a cruise ship and is built to cruise very fast (although these days they have slowed her down to save fuel) in rough seas.

We have done many TA crossings (8 in the past 4 years) but most were one-way repostioning cruises where we still had to fly one-way to or from Europe. On this trip we did the Prinsendam to Europe and then transferred over to the Queen for the return trip. This was our first European trip where we did not have to take a single plane (hooray), deal with airports, luggage restrictions, etc. On one foggy day, while relaxing in our comfortable lounge chairs at the indoor pool, I suddenly realized this was a lot nicer way to get across the Atlantic then cramped in an airplane seat. We will continue to do our 1 or two long European trips per year, but now we will try very hard to cross both ways on ships (a challenge because of the limited schedule of TA cruises). Even one of their spacious inside cabins is a heck of lot better than any airplane seat.

Hank

I just wanted to make sure this wasn't directed at me?
Not at you, personally, but at the idea that different classes of service (as opposed to social classes) existing within a single ship is somehow unfair. There is nothing wrong with it. My comment meant to state that such objections are based on jealousy no matter how they are disguised.

I felt that the original question and poll choices reflected that jealousy.

Not at you, personally, but at the idea that different classes of service (as opposed to social classes) existing within a single ship is somehow unfair. There is nothing wrong with it. My comment meant to state that such objections are based on jealousy no matter how they are disguised.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure because I agree with you.

beachchick

beachchick

No, I'm not kidding. I'll repeat: Perks and dining categories do not create a classed ship. For example, as you can see from my signature, I travelled the Italian Line in 1972. The ship was a 3 class ship. First, Cabin, and Tourist. There were 3 of everything: 3 swimming pools, 3 dining rooms, 3 ball rooms, 3 childrens rooms, 3 bars, 3 lounges etc. All were clearly marked "xxxx Class Passengers Only". Substitute Frst or Cabin for the Xs. By the time I travelled the French Line in 1974 and Cunard in 1982 they were 2 class ships, but with the same restrictions. The Grills in 1982 were certainly the top of First Class but there were First Class passengers who were not in the Grills. From what I've read on these boards, Cunard did away with the 2 classes sometime in the 1990s. The QM2 and QV of today bear little resemblance to the classed ships of yesteryear.

Unless you just want the extra space, you don't get a lot more than if you book a plain old veranda cabin. Not even the Queen's Grill Suites are all that great anymore. I was shocked to see that in the QG for all our meals, the menu in the Main dining room was exactly the same as in the QG. Why pay so much more to get nearly the same things? Sure, you get the QG bar, but big deal. As for NCL, once you get out of that fancy suite, and walk into the rest of the ship, you're getting nothing but the same poor food and service that you would if you booked just an ordinary cabin. Now, if these fancy suites were like in the "olden days" when you got what you paid for with very high class food and all your drinks included, that would be different. But in this day and age, I highly doubt passengers would care for the first class and steerage attitudes on cruise ships.

No, I'm not kidding. I'll repeat: Perks and dining categories do not create a classed ship. For example, as you can see from my signature, I travelled the Italian Line in 1972. The ship was a 3 class ship. First, Cabin, and Tourist. There were 3 of everything: 3 swimming pools, 3 dining rooms, 3 ball rooms, 3 childrens rooms, 3 bars, 3 lounges etc. All were clearly marked "xxxx Class Passengers Only". Substitute Frst or Cabin for the Xs. By the time I travelled the French Line in 1974 and Cunard in 1982 they were 2 class ships, but with the same restrictions. The Grills in 1982 were certainly the top of First Class but there were First Class passengers who were not in the Grills. From what I've read on these boards, Cunard did away with the 2 classes sometime in the 1990s. The QM2 and QV of today bear little resemblance to the classed ships of yesteryear.

Okay, it's true that by your definition, Cunard does not have classed ships. The classes you describe from 1972 (and earlier, of course) don't exist on most modern cruise lines and ships. But that's not how it's generally used colloquially here.

I find that many who post on these boards who've never travelled on the traditional great liners have no clue of what they're talking about in these matters.

Based on the above, I get the feeling that you feel you know more than most of us because you cruised on "great liners" when there were class designations. I hope I'm wrong and just being a tad overreactive. It's so hard sometimes to tell online without inflection, tone, and facial expressions. The thing is that most of us do have a clue about traditional classes, but don't narrowly interpret the term as you have. For me, it is because today's cruising environment and society in general have changed. I have in fact taken train trips on both first class and third class tickets. Quite a difference between the two, though not so much as the traditional crossing style of classes on ships. I have also cruised on small ships, those still used primarily for transportation, that have traditional classes, and my husband cruised way, way back in the day when there were classes (before he met me--a very long time ago indeed).

In any case, the way that CC members primarily use "classes" is a broader interpretation than the traditional first, second, etc. classes. The bottom line is that nearly all lines of today bear little resemblance to the classed ships of yesteryear. Cunard is not the only line to offer good dining in the main dining rooms for all passengers, as well as specialty dining for those who choose to use (and pay for) it.

It seems to me that the perception that certain passengers (suite, for example) are treated "better" than others creates a resentment in some and a feeling of different "classes" when cruising today. For me, it's kind of a no-brainer that if someone pays more for additional space, amenities, perks, then they should have and enjoy them, and anyone who gets upset about that it quite simply, wrong. Those who want to pay for higher end cabins and suites deserve (sorry, not a great term, but I can't think of the one I really mean) to have every perk that comes with that.

I think where we differ is that you are still using only the stricter definition of classes, whereas on this thread I have been using the broader one that many/most members have been. Peace?

beachchick

... Based on the above, I get the feeling that you feel you know more than most of us because you cruised on "great liners" when there were class designations.....

......In any case, the way that CC members primarily use "classes" is a broader interpretation than the traditional first, second, etc. classes. Peace?

beachchick

First of all, I never thought there wasn't any peace.

It's that use of the word class on CC that you mention to which I object. It's just plain incorrect.

Yes, I do think I know more about this than most, since I've experienced it. Obviously, from what you've said, this doesn't apply to you, so you shouldn't take it that way.

You know that there are some on these boards who post as if passeger shipping began with Carnival sometinme in the 1980s.

Don't mean to pick on you. . . .but, just had to disagree with your jealousy statement -- mainly because it is lumping everyone into one group. We have been fortunate to take some luxury cruises. We could have stayed on just about any ship, in a top class, if we had desired to do so. We prefer to travel on a ship where everyone is treated with respect, where everyone can dine in the same restaurants, etc. It doesn't matter to anyone how you came up with the money for a luxury cruise -- whether you are wealthy or have saved up for years. Granted, this is our choice and others are entitled to theirs. However, please understand that the choices are not necessarily based on jealousy.

Betcher boots I'm jealous and tempted to call it all unfair. I worked hard and generally capably for 46 years but didn't make a whole lot of loot. Now we can cruise every year or so if the danged stock market doesn't bite our little retirement stash too hard and our part-time jobs get us a little extra to go with the Social Security checks. And we know we are wealthy beyond the wild dreams of about 98 percent of the world's population. It just irks a little when the folks a couple of rungs higher snipe and snoot as if their better fortune made them morally superior.

Archived