Skagway to Haines Eagle Preserve Float Trip

Sanpan

I have searched and searched the boards and have not found any current reviews regarding the Eagle Preserve excursion in Haines that we booked through Princess. I realize that it is not prime time to see eagles there. Has anyone taken this excursion this cruise season (2010). I would greatly appreciate your input since the cost is $199 per person. Thanks in advance

It's a calm raft down a spectacular valley. Wildlife is seldom seen. This season or 5 years ago makes no difference in what it's like, but the month does (more wildlife possibilities - moose in particular - early and late in the season).

It's a calm raft down a spectacular valley. Wildlife is seldom seen. This season or 5 years ago makes no difference in what it's like, but the month does (more wildlife possibilities - moose in particular - early and late in the season).

Thanks Yukon that helps me somewhat. Appreciate it.

We did this tour several years ago in late July.. I remember seeing a couple of eagles while semi-floating on the rafts. There was a drought that summer and we had to push the raft half way down the first half of the float trip (which we still look back and laugh at the memories). Other than eagles, we saw (and felt) a lot of mosquitoes - which were about the size of small birds. BUT.... the scenery was SPECTACULAR... very serene and calming. We took the excursion thinking we were going to see wildlife and where we saw the wildlife was on the ferry to and from Haines. The captains of the ferrys were amazing as they would slow down, follow, and point out all of the wildlife anywhere in the area. I remember that the ferry captain even took us close enough to a waterfall that we could feel the spray, while a bald eagle sat there watching us watching him. We saw eagle, sea lions, otters and whales from the ferry.

Would we go again? Absolutely. Again, for the scenery alone it was worth the trip.

We did this tour several years ago in late July.. I remember seeing a couple of eagles while semi-floating on the rafts. There was a drought that summer and we had to push the raft half way down the first half of the float trip (which we still look back and laugh at the memories). Other than eagles, we saw (and felt) a lot of mosquitoes - which were about the size of small birds. BUT.... the scenery was SPECTACULAR... very serene and calming. We took the excursion thinking we were going to see wildlife and where we saw the wildlife was on the ferry to and from Haines. The captains of the ferrys were amazing as they would slow down, follow, and point out all of the wildlife anywhere in the area. I remember that the ferry captain even took us close enough to a waterfall that we could feel the spray, while a bald eagle sat there watching us watching him. We saw eagle, sea lions, otters and whales from the ferry.

Would we go again? Absolutely. Again, for the scenery alone it was worth the trip.

Thanks much. Decisions, decisions, decisions. :D

I did it through HAL in July 2009 and enjoyed it very much - a few eagles, but no mosquitoes! This was on my 3rd trip to Skagway in 3 years - you don't say if you've been to Skagway before - but I wouldn't consider going to Haines unless you done most of the stuff that interests you at Skagway first.

We are doing this excursion next Tuesday! I read about it here and realize that we may or may not see significant wildlife. We decided that the scenery would be enough, and any wildlife would be a bonus. We were just in Skagway last year, and did the White Pass/Yukon trip through Chilkoot, so we wanted something different this time. I will try to remember to come back and post here about it after we return from our cruise.

I did it through HAL in July 2009 and enjoyed it very much - a few eagles, but no mosquitoes! This was on my 3rd trip to Skagway in 3 years - you don't say if you've been to Skagway before - but I wouldn't consider going to Haines unless you done most of the stuff that interests you at Skagway first.

Thanks for the feedback. This is our first trip to Alaska. You have a point about doing Skagway first. We are now considering the Chilkoot tour to Emerald Lake instead of the Eagle Preserve float trip that we currently have reserved for our September cruise.

We are doing this excursion next Tuesday! I read about it here and realize that we may or may not see significant wildlife. We decided that the scenery would be enough, and any wildlife would be a bonus. We were just in Skagway last year, and did the White Pass/Yukon trip through Chilkoot, so we wanted something different this time. I will try to remember to come back and post here about it after we return from our cruise.

Please come back and let me know how you enjoyed it. The White Pass/Yukon trip through Chilkoot is our other choice. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the feedback. This is our first trip to Alaska. You have a point about doing Skagway first. We are now considering the Chilkoot tour to Emerald Lake instead of the Eagle Preserve float trip that we currently have reserved for our September cruise.

I think the trip with Chilkoot is a better choice for a first timer. I did the train to Fraser, BC with the bus back stopping at Liarsville (train - great, Liarsville - not so much:eek:) booked through HAL on my first trip in 2007. In 2008 I did the train to Fraser and then the excursion with Chilkoot to Emerald Lake - a very good excursion - even considering Caribou Crossing - I was not enamoured with the lunch and the place in general. Did the eagle perserve float trip out of Haines in 2009. Went back to Alaska in 2010, but that cruise didn't go to either Skagway or Haines. Yes, I do love Alaska. (Have my 2011 cruise already booked!:D)

I also agree that for the first trip you should do the White Pass Railroad. It is wonderful and the scenery is fabulous not to mention the history.

That said, we did the Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure on jetboats on July 30. It was a lovely day and we saw eagle nests & eagles and also 2 moose. The scenery is lovely and we enjoyed it very much.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think that we are going to change our plans and book the train ride instead and motor back with Chilkoot Excursions. I don't think the Princess tour goes to Emerald Lake. Of course, I would still like to do this excursion at some time soooooo we will have to plan a return trip to Alaska very soon. :D

I realize that the OP decided to do the White Pass/Yukon trip with Chilkoot - an excellent choice - but thought I would report back on the Eagle Preserve float anyway. We went this past Tuesday. It was overcast all day in Skagway so we knew the weather could be nasty and dressed appropriately, in layers. It was quite windy on the river. They had a big bin of "thrift store" sweatshirts to loan out to anyone who thought they might need one, and there were a few takers. They also fit you with rubber boots and life jackets.

The weather meant lots of hard work for our guides. Our guide, Joe (a former dairy farmer), spent the whole time rowing hard to keep us moving between the rocks, logs, etc. We did see eagles, perhaps 20 in all, some mature and some immature. Most of them were at a distance, so you couldn't get very good pictures unless you had a seriously good camera. We did not see any other wildlife, but the scenery was beautiful and the ride was a lot of fun. We spent about 1.5 hours on the river and really got to know our guide and fellow raft-mates. It began raining about an hour into the float. Joe had a bin full of rain ponchos to lend out, and several people took them, but we had on rain jackets and were fine.

At the end of the ride they provided a picnic "dinner" of pre-made, wrapped sandwiches (all turkey and cheese, I think), Sun Chips, cookies, and hot chocolate. We ended up grabbing our food and eating it on the bus because it was still raining. It was a nice snack, after being out for so long, but we still ended up going to dinner on the ship after we got back. It's a long trip, and we went in the afternoon/evening, so barely made it back to the ship before it sailed. Of course, it was a Princess excursion, so they had to wait for us. Even so, we were the last tour back and they were ready to pull up the gangways as soon as we were all on board.

We enjoyed this trip for the scenic adventure that it was. We did not anticipate seeing lots of wildlife, so we weren't disappointed when we didn't see any, other than the eagles. I would still recommend the White Pass/Yukon trip with Chilkoot for a first time visitor to Skagway, but if you've been there a few times and want something totally different, the Eagle Preserve Float is a lot of fun too!

I realize that the OP decided to do the White Pass/Yukon trip with Chilkoot - an excellent choice - but thought I would report back on the Eagle Preserve float anyway. We went this past Tuesday. It was overcast all day in Skagway so we knew the weather could be nasty and dressed appropriately, in layers. It was quite windy on the river. They had a big bin of "thrift store" sweatshirts to loan out to anyone who thought they might need one, and there were a few takers. They also fit you with rubber boots and life jackets.

The weather meant lots of hard work for our guides. Our guide, Joe (a former dairy farmer), spent the whole time rowing hard to keep us moving between the rocks, logs, etc. We did see eagles, perhaps 20 in all, some mature and some immature. Most of them were at a distance, so you couldn't get very good pictures unless you had a seriously good camera. We did not see any other wildlife, but the scenery was beautiful and the ride was a lot of fun. We spent about 1.5 hours on the river and really got to know our guide and fellow raft-mates. It began raining about an hour into the float. Joe had a bin full of rain ponchos to lend out, and several people took them, but we had on rain jackets and were fine.

At the end of the ride they provided a picnic "dinner" of pre-made, wrapped sandwiches (all turkey and cheese, I think), Sun Chips, cookies, and hot chocolate. We ended up grabbing our food and eating it on the bus because it was still raining. It was a nice snack, after being out for so long, but we still ended up going to dinner on the ship after we got back. It's a long trip, and we went in the afternoon/evening, so barely made it back to the ship before it sailed. Of course, it was a Princess excursion, so they had to wait for us. Even so, we were the last tour back and they were ready to pull up the gangways as soon as we were all on board.

We enjoyed this trip for the scenic adventure that it was. We did not anticipate seeing lots of wildlife, so we weren't disappointed when we didn't see any, other than the eagles. I would still recommend the White Pass/Yukon trip with Chilkoot for a first time visitor to Skagway, but if you've been there a few times and want something totally different, the Eagle Preserve Float is a lot of fun too!

Hi Sherryf,

Thanks so much for coming back and posting your review. We are going to do the train ride but will definitely consider the float trip on our next visit to Alaska. Seee, I'm already planning to return. :D Sounds like you had an enjoyable day in spite of the rain. Thanks again for remembering

and returning to post. I appreciate it.:)

• 1 year later...

We are going to be in Skagway on May 16th this year. Very early in the season and wondered if we could get some new feedback on early in the year trips and moose. Also considering taking the ferry to Haines.

We are going to be in Skagway on May 16th this year. Very early in the season and wondered if we could get some new feedback on early in the year trips and moose. Also considering taking the ferry to Haines.

Very rare to see moose. I've only seen one once on the inside passage. If you plan on going to Haines, then I would only suggest you get a car, and plan on- all day- slow driving with constant looking. Necessary will be a good pair of binoculars of at least 10 power.

Thank you Budget Queen, I think I may have asked my question incorrectly. I am actually not on the "hunt" so to speak for moose just was wondering more or less if this was a good location and/or time of year.

I think our group may be leaning towards some sort of trip to Haines from Skagway more in search of Eagles and some back to nature, either boat, raft, hike.. We could take the ferry and do something when we get there or book a tour.

We are seasoned travelers and just starting to research this option. Are ther any options available to do this at the pier in Skagway if we want to watch the weather first before deciding? If it is not so good we may opt for something else.

Any suggestions for this early in May adventure?

Thank you Budget Queen, I think I may have asked my question incorrectly. I am actually not on the "hunt" so to speak for moose just was wondering more or less if this was a good location and/or time of year.

I think our group may be leaning towards some sort of trip to Haines from Skagway more in search of Eagles and some back to nature, either boat, raft, hike.. We could take the ferry and do something when we get there or book a tour.

We are seasoned travelers and just starting to research this option. Are ther any options available to do this at the pier in Skagway if we want to watch the weather first before deciding? If it is not so good we may opt for something else.

Any suggestions for this early in May adventure?

You may want to consider flying one way, with an added glacier tour. Early May, is not ideal for rafting.

Archived