I am surprised!

dac61

Sorry,

Carnival Majic out of Galveston

Key West, Freport and Nassau

Mariner of theSeas

Roatan, Honduras, Beileze and Coz

Sailing March 11

I got an Owner's Suite :D on the Mariner for less than an OS (old Cat. 11) on Magic for that same week. Since I like both cruiselines, love the Mariner, and Roatan/Belize is my favorite itinerary, it was a no-brainer for me.

Prices went up for the Magic, and Carnival charges quite a bit more for the Eastern itinerary, so I think that is why you're seeing such high prices.

Prices for the following week (March 18th) are very close for both ships, and they do more or less the same itinerary.

I think RCCL is counting on the big Spring Break week being the 18th, while most of us who work in a school are pretty sure it will be the week of March 11th. I'm booked for the 18th also, just in case I have my dates wrong, but I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that RCCL picked the wrong week to make the expensive week. It will be the first time since 2005 that I feel like we got a "bargain" for Spring Break!

RCL might be counting on which week is spring break in Mexico too. We had some huge number of Mexicans, over 1,400 the week Mexico had its spring break. Debarkation was a zoo, with so many foreigners, who take longer to go thru Customs.

We couldnt park in West End on my tour of Roatan. It was spring break week there too and it was too paked to park any more cars. They just let our van pass through with a promise not to park the van. We still had a awesome time. I email still with several from that roll call.

RCL might be counting on which week is spring break in Mexico too. We had some huge number of Mexicans, over 1,400 the week Mexico had its spring break. Debarkation was a zoo, with so many foreigners, who take longer to go thru Customs.

We couldnt park in West End on my tour of Roatan. It was spring break week there too and it was too paked to park any more cars. They just let our van pass through with a promise not to park the van. We still had a awesome time. I email still with several from that roll call.

The Mexico Spring Break usually is right around Easter, so it fluctuates depending on the calendar. We disembarked the Voyager on Easter Sunday in 2008 and it was a disaster!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. I booked Mariner. I cant wait. I did Voyager twice and thought WOW. I hear Mariner is similar except more glass and a few other upgrades. Im going January 2012 though.

Magic is brand new, and prices will be sky high until the newness wears off.

Hey Fire, I'm on the TA that will bring the Mariner to Galveston and my travel agent has been trying to get me to try the Voyager class ..It's been years since I've been on RCCL...I'll give you a little review after we get off..Dennis

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. I booked Mariner. I cant wait. I did Voyager twice and thought WOW. I hear Mariner is similar except more glass and a few other upgrades. Im going January 2012 though.

Magic is brand new, and prices will be sky high until the newness wears off.

We have done Mariner twice and loved it. Ice skating show is awesome.

Anytime I'm checking out cruises, Galveston is always more expensive than say Miami. Not much competition in Galveston.

Eastern always seems to be more expensive than western, no matter which port they're sailing from.

Add in Spring Break and new ship....makes for an expensive cruise.

All of this is just my opinion, of course.

I'd say you nailed it, on every count! Galveston + new ship + Spring Break + Eastern = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Id book Mariner while RCL is offering these prices.

(sorry Carnival cheerleaders, Id still doing lots of Carnival cruises too)

You have nothing to apologize for. If someone wasn't set on sailing a specific ship (i.e., I'm dong the Magic because I want to do the new ship out of Galveston, regardless of cost), you'd be crazy NOT to take that Mariner trip. The price difference is ridiculous, and from what I've read, the Mariner is the newest and most gorgeous of the Voyager class. I've never been on an RCL ship, but even I can see that they're gorgeous. Take it and run while it's still there!

I don't think Magic prices will drop as much as the Dream. If people want to cruise out of Galveston (and they definitely do), they'll pay the premium for new ship + Galveston. Carnival was smart putting a new ship in Texas. They're going to make a fortune on the prices they'll be able to get for those sailings. I'm still cringing at the fact I'm paying more for a 7A on the Magic than I am for a 9C wrap on the Splendor!

Sorry,

Carnival Majic out of Galveston

Key West, Freport and Nassau

Mariner of theSeas

Roatan, Honduras, Beileze and Coz

Sailing March 11

Are both cruising out of Galveston? If so, it's very surprising. If not, I might have an answer. There are very few boats that cruise out of Galveston, so it seems like the prices run higher than the one's cruising out of Florida.

Since there's only two CCL boats crusing out at any given time, the people in Texas are more likely to pay the extra money not to have to fly somewhere.

Just a guess.

I don't think Magic prices will drop as much as the Dream. If people want to cruise out of Galveston (and they definitely do), they'll pay the premium for new ship + Galveston. Carnival was smart putting a new ship in Texas. They're going to make a fortune on the prices they'll be able to get for those sailings. I'm still cringing at the fact I'm paying more for a 7A on the Magic than I am for a 9C wrap on the Splendor!

I still have Magic booked for Dec 4th, Randy's cruise, but if I dont find a roommate who is willing to pay a high rate, Im probably out of luck. I would actually do both ...I am terrible about choosing, Id choose both. Im also looking forward to Mariner.

I dont see Magic prices dropping much either ... we agree there. Some, but not like Conquest prices used to be. We will be talking about the good ole days of Conquest.

I'd say you nailed it, on every count! Galveston + new ship + Spring Break + Eastern = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You have nothing to apologize for. If someone wasn't set on sailing a specific ship (i.e., I'm dong the Magic because I want to do the new ship out of Galveston, regardless of cost), you'd be crazy NOT to take that Mariner trip. The price difference is ridiculous, and from what I've read, the Mariner is the newest and most gorgeous of the Voyager class. I've never been on an RCL ship, but even I can see that they're gorgeous. Take it and run while it's still there!

I think you nailed it...it will be a long time (if ever:() before we see Conquest prices on the Magic. Galveston has a lot to do with it...our cabin on the Dream next summer is about the same price as our cabin on the Conquest next March!:rolleyes: I know the people in Florida can't understand why Carnival would put a new ship in Galveston, but they must not have taken a look at fares out of Galveston! I think it was an extremely shrewd business move.

Price is why I ended up booking the Mariner. I'm not real picky about what cruiseline I'm on...I like all three I've cruised with. The opportunity to get an Owner's Suite on the Mariner with all the suite benefits for the price I paid had me pulling out that credit card pretty quickly! I'll save the Magic for after I retire and don't have to cruise during one of the most expensive weeks of the year.:rolleyes:

Archived