Nieuw Amsterdam vs. Noordam

Tampa Girl

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the newest member of the fleet with the Noordam? We are booked on the Noordam for the October, 2011 repositioning cruise. It looks like a beautiful ship. How does the Nieuw Amsterdam compare?

Primary differences will be as follows:

Nieuw Amsterdam HAS and Noordam DOES NOT:

Tamarind

Silk Den

Cabanas (Lido and Cabana Club)

Master Chef's Table

Theater style seating in the Showroom at Sea

Slice (Noordam has pizza, just not at the aft pool)

Expanded Shops

Spa Staterooms and Suites

Explorations Cafe adjacent to Crow's Nest

More modern decor

Noordam HAS and Nieuw Amsterdam DOES NOT:

Cabaret style seating in the Vista Lounge

Explorations Cafe Deck 3 midship

More classic/floral decor elements

Oak Room adjacent to Crow's Nest

That's all that I can think of at the moment, but may not be a complete list

Master Chef's Table

Please give more details about this. We have a friend sailing with us who is very interested in culinary arts and I am wondering if this is something that he would need a reservation for and is it in the main dining room? Thanks!

i believe the Master Chef's dinner is the close to the equivalent of the Sommelier dinner. It is normally served in the Pinnacle Grill (I hope). The Master Chef and Sommelier explain what you are having and why. They serve very fine wines with each course and it is stupendous. We did it on the Ooesterdam last year in the Med. AT that time it was called the Sommelier dinner. it was fabulous. i understand the price is $89 per person. you can't book until you get on the ship.

It was truly a fabulous experience IMO.

hope this helps a bit and I am sure DBA can add more:):)

Tamarind

Silk Den

Cabanas (Lido and Cabana Club)

Master Chef's Table

Theater style seating in the Showroom at Sea

Slice (Noordam has pizza, just not at the aft pool)

Expanded Shops

Spa Staterooms and Suites

Explorations Cafe adjacent to Crow's Nest

More modern decor

Noordam HAS and Nieuw Amsterdam DOES NOT:

Cabaret style seating in the Vista Lounge

Explorations Cafe Deck 3 midship

More classic/floral decor elements

Oak Room adjacent to Crow's Nest

That's all that I can think of at the moment, but may not be a complete list

Dutch, any feedback on the infamous Rev and Ruth steps in Nieuw A'dam's Lido Restaurant? Does she have those bad boys, along with the black & yellow caution tape or are we back to a ramp and/or slight incline? Thanks dude!:)

i believe the Master Chef's dinner is the close to the equivalent of the Sommelier dinner. It is normally served in the Pinnacle Grill (I hope). The Master Chef and Sommelier explain what you are having and why. They serve very fine wines with each course and it is stupendous. We did it on the Ooesterdam last year in the Med. AT that time it was called the Sommelier dinner. it was fabulous. i understand the price is $89 per person. you can't book until you get on the ship.

It was truly a fabulous experience IMO.

hope this helps a bit and I am sure DBA can add more:):)

Correct. Can't book til you get on, but here's some good news for 3 and 4 star Mariners... your alt dining discount works on this charge!

Dutch, any feedback on the infamous Rev and Ruth steps in Nieuw A'dam's Lido Restaurant? Does she have those bad boys, along with the black & yellow caution tape or are we back to a ramp and/or slight incline? Thanks dude!:)

Haven't concerned myself with these minor details actually. I would imagine if anything is there it is labeled or otherwise brought to people's attention.

Plus, regardless of what is there, it's always important to look where you step... the ship IS a moving vehicle afterall :)

Haven't concerned myself with these minor details actually. I would imagine if anything is there it is labeled or otherwise brought to people's attention.

Plus, regardless of what is there, it's always important to look where you step... the ship IS a moving vehicle afterall :)

Thank you much! Agreed on both points!:)

about 200 more people but the same size Lido and MDR. The Tamarind does help take some load off each place.

Dutch, any feedback on the infamous Rev and Ruth steps in Nieuw A'dam's Lido Restaurant?

dutch46, a July cruiser and reviewer, reported not seeing any steps in the Lido, but I don't know if he looked at exactly the right spot. I'll let you know in 34 days!!!! :D

Don't get confused between the Master Chef Table (that has been described above) :) and the Master Chef Dinner which is the main dining room, usually on the last night with singing and dancing waiters :(

Why do HAL keep naming things to confuse people?

eg

Vista Lounge and Vista Dining Room (surely they could have given one another name)

Superior Suites which are not suites at all

The names of their ships

As you wish dining

Explorations Café and Explorers Lounge

They are just not very imaginative with their names

Anyone have any more examples

about 200 more people but the same size Lido and MDR. The Tamarind does help take some load off each place.

The Eurodam also has a larger and more established eating area in both the Lido and Seaview Pools, more food options out in the Seavuiew pool too. Plus different table configurations and some additional tables in the Lido.

As for the MDR, yes it's about the same size, but table sizes have increased. Sure it makes it a little more closely packed in there than on the Vistas, but I was on Oosterdam today and there is A LOT of space between tables.

Correct. Can't book til you get on, but here's some good news for 3 and 4 star Mariners... your alt dining discount works on this charge!

Are you serious???? This is absolutely wonderful. Never realized this was one of them. Thanks so much DBA!!:D:D

Archived