Leaving in the morning - need help - carry on for drinks

Britnatize

We're currently packing!! We were going to put all of our 12 packs of sodas and wine bottles in one BIG carry on bag (4 people, 4 twelve packs, 4 wines). Is there a limit to the size of your carry on? Have a feeling this may not fit through the X-ray machine. We are VIP...does that make a difference?

We're currently packing!! We were going to put all of our 12 packs of sodas and wine bottles in one BIG carry on bag (4 people, 4 twelve packs, 4 wines). Is there a limit to the size of your carry on? Have a feeling this may not fit through the X-ray machine. We are VIP...does that make a difference?

There is a luggage size restriction for going through the scanners so you will probably have to split it up your cargo.

Being VIP does not make one bit of difference. You go through the same scanner as everyone else.

Being VIP does not make one bit of difference. You go through the same scanner as everyone else.

Somehow that doesn't seem very fair!

But seriously, do you want to lug around one big bag while you are waiting for your room to be available?

Thanks folks....still not clear. What would they do? Make us split it up on site and hold up the line? I see where the VIP would have to go through the same scanner.

The luggage has to fit through the scanner empty or not. I don't remember the dimensions of the scanner but it should be on the carnival website. The other poster that mentioned a box and slapping a luggage tag on it well the porters won't take it anymore it has to be carried on.

Thanks folks....still not clear. What would they do? Make us split it up on site and hold up the line? I see where the VIP would have to go through the same scanner.

I have seen them make poeple with large bags leave the line and take the bags to the porters outside the terminal. That was in Miami I think.

The opening at the screener for luggage has varied from embarkation port to embarkation port that I have experienced. In Miami, my carryon made it thru just fine, but in JAX, the opening was reduced insize by a piece of plexi glass and the same piece would not fit in the screener opening ! Talk about frustrating !!!

OP... just have to divide the sodas and wine either into seperate carry ons, or place a little of each in everyones carry on... or cut back... thats really the only options you have. You certainly don't want to hold up the line of others waiting to get on the ship because you are nor prepared in advance do you ?

We always pack a small box (the kind copy paper comes in) and put our water, soda, and other miscellaneous things in there and we check it like luggage. Never had a problem.

I'm thinking you'll have a problem next time. Carnival is cracking down on the smugglers. Wine, water and soda must be carried on. Your box would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm thinking you'll have a problem next time. Carnival is cracking down on the smugglers. Wine, water and soda must be carried on. Your box would stick out like a sore thumb.

I started a thread asking about whether non-alcoholic beverages placed in checked luggage were getting confiscated the other day (I'd have to search for it), and several people said they had no problems doing that (checked luggage and not carry on).

I started a thread asking about whether non-alcoholic beverages placed in checked luggage were getting confiscated the other day (I'd have to search for it), and several people said they had no problems doing that (checked luggage and not carry on).

As usual. nothing is ever consistant with Carnival:rolleyes: I may have replied to your thread, that the waters in my checked bag got through. They looked inside and left me a note. It was my error, since I knew that it should have been in my carry-on. I seriously doubt that they'll take it if it's in your checked bag. Flip a coin;)

We're currently packing!! We were going to put all of our 12 packs of sodas and wine bottles in one BIG carry on bag (4 people, 4 twelve packs, 4 wines).

Not to hijack this thread but are 710 ML bottles of coke accepted or are these too big?

There is a luggage size restriction for going through the scanners so you will probably have to split it up your cargo.

I am trying to find the same information. I am cruising out of Galveston this weekend on the conquest and want to know how big of carryon I can take. I have looked on Carnivals website and searched this website and have not found the answer. Can someone help answer this question?

Thanks !

Chris

As a former smuggler I've been checking out all the smuggling threads. I would say that many liquids are still getting through in checked luggage, but much more is being confiscated now than a few months ago.

I was just saying that a taped up box of liquids wouldn't have a snowballs chance.

I'd suggest using several flat-bottomed canvas totebags and splitting up the load.......you can slide each bag off your shoulder, into the x-ray machine, it'll roll through upright and you can pick it back up at the other side and slide back on your shoulder - or back into a rolling cart of some kind? Maybe even get some of the re-usable shopping bags the stores sell, that way you don't have to invest a lot in bags and each person in your party can share the load. I think that would be the least stressful, most efficient way to get them thru the terminal and security and onto the ship.

I thought we had to bring it as a carry on?

Only the wine has to be carried on. The water and soft drinks can go in checked bags. But if you put your wine in a checked bag they will take it and give it back to you on the last night.

been there done that..twice. lol

Forget putting four twelve packs in luggage. Get a luggage cart. Stack the packs on the cart and secure with bungey cord. They will be easy to take apart to put through the scanner and then re-stack on the cart (which you can fold and it will go through the scanner separately) on the other side. I did this for years flying and the ubiquitous luggage cart was always more versitile than any luggage I ever owned.

Archived