POLL......$2 Dollar Bills....$1 Coins....John Deere Penlights

Flynlo

What is your favorite additional tip?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite additional tip?

• $2 dollar bills
    • $1 dollar coins
    • John Deere Penlights
    • Doritos
    • Chocolates
    • None of the above

What's the issue with the $1 coin?

I guess none of you have ever used the DC Metro System. ;)

I'm betting not as well since many are only used to traveling on the Right Way System.....their way is the only right way despite this topic being beat to death over and over again. Must be a very slow day for some.....I'm wishing my days away til our cruise on the Miracle :)

quote:Originally Posted by ShelbyNTX viewpost.gif

None of the above. Though I'm considering taking pressed pennies from the local children's museum & zoo on my next cruise and using them as tips - I'm sure something personal from my local area would be sooooo appreciated! ;)__________________________________________

Sarcasm button "ON" I hope!

:p Well, they're nice and small so they won't take up too much room in the steward's cabin, right? And I'm just sure they'd love something personal from ME, surely!!! I mean, I'm really a memorable kinda girl! We may be pen pals for life after my cruise! :p

LOL...*totally* kidding! :D

I always tip in cold hard cash. That is dollar coins strait from the ice bucket lol!

Canada has a 2 dollar coin if you want to be really fancy.

Myself I am a dollar coin tipper. You can have them shipped directly from the mint for free so I always have plenty. Sure beats having to bust a 20 when you stop at a gas station for a coke.

Those One Dollar bills do not take up much space when going home IF you give them out as tips while you are on your cruise. :p

I'm thinking of using my Canadian $2 bill for the porter for our two bags when we board in Vancouver. I've had that thing since we were last in Canada, about 20 years ago.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Why would you want to "reward" those who work soooooo hard to make a pleasant vacation for you with currency that is difficult to spend? Give them "normal" money...that's what they want, and that's why they're working!

Would you want to be paid in $2 bills or $1 coin? I wouldn't!

bla bla bla,

$2.00 bills are "normal" money, they are REAL, LEGAL, OFFICIAL, and I like to use them,

Yes I would like to be paid in $2.00 bills if I lived on a cruise ship, they have so little space, and according to the books I have read, most of the crew keep the money on their cabin, in cash, in a drawer until they go home at the end of the contract, or they mail it home, so giving them 5 $2.00 bills, it better for them then 10 $1.00 bills,

Hmm - never thought about not being able to use the 2 dollar bills - I usse them in ports all the time - same with the coins... but thanks for the info - will have to rethink our tipping protocal.

based on the snobby people's opinion here on CC I am starting to lean toward not using $2.00 bills, but I do not think the crew will like it, because I am a firm believer in the "take it or leave it rule"

Take the $2.00 bill or leave it, but that is all I am offering, it is up to you.

The only problem I ever had on our last cruise, Dream in April 2010, was when I pissed off the shuttle driver going to the beach, by not moving to the back of the bus (but that is another story, I am not going to be told to go to the back of the bus) then he would not take my $2.00 bills for payment, his loss, I was going to pay him the $12.00 each plus tip in the form of 15 $2.00 bills = $30.00, but his bad attitude got him 2 $10.00 bills, and 4 $1.00 bills = $24.00, I then bought me an extra 3 beers at the beach with the $6.00 I still had.

What?? No option to choose tipping with homemade CDs of your own siningin?

WHEW ! I was beginning to think I was the only person doing this ! :p

Honestly, I'm not a real good singer but it's the thought that counts when giving out extra tips. Plus they are flat so they travel nicely, don't weigh much and are super shiny and twinkly in the Carribean sun !

That's what I'm doin' !

We always tip in $1, $5, $10 or $20 dollar bills.

Who uses $2 bills or $1 coins anyway? yes, they are "real money" but awkward to use to say the least. :rolleyes:

I also learned it is hard for them to use money that has been stamped,highlited,torn etc.- the foreign banks are very picky sometimes.

My husband travels globally and for example China will only take really new $20's. Too much counterfeit issues.

sure in the US the coins and $2 bills are legal tender and generally on a ship the crew can get the ship-but not always- to take them but this is NOT true overseas. Coins of any sort(except the local currency) should not be used for tips. Unless you are trying to make a point to annoy a local use either paper ordinary money or local currency. They have a hard if not impossible time changing foreign coins and $2 bills are mostly looked at as a cousin to the $3 bills I have with Bill Clinton on them....

Yes the crew will take them- they will take anything because they are taught never to contradict a passenger. They live in close quarters have access to a on ship store that get them for lower price anything you can buy them(except maybe a picture of you and them). So if you really like what they did for you, why make it harder for them. Give them what they want---ordinary US paper cash.

WTH!!! Doritos? John Deere Pen Lights????:confused:

I Choose "Doritos" because it was so random, and no I do not tip with a bag or Cool Ranch Doritos...:rolleyes:

"Good Job Tony with the towel animal. Here's four tasty chips!":rolleyes:

Seriously.........

My goodness! Tip or don't tip, and feel free to offer whatever you feel is appropriate. I don't understand why we're required to get all mushy about a towel animal, or someone spending 5 minutes cleaning a room that was clean to begin with, but let someone offer something other than "COLD" cash, and specifically $1 and $5, as a tip and people on this board get all over them about it. Live and let live, and if someone wants to tip with coins, or $2 bills, or Doritos for that matter, why should that be a problem? If the receiver doesn't like it, or want it, then they are free to pass it along, or drop it in the trash. Personally, I tip with money, but because I rarely want or ask for special treatment, I rarely tip extra. Why should I? $10 a day is more than adequate.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Archived