Need suggestions for family- West Caribbean ports, please!

CCH828

Where do we begin? We (me, DH, 16mo old DD, and Grammy) are going to Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel the first week of October. What are *the* things to do for a family with a little one in these ports? The online travel guides are pretty overwhelming, so TIA for any help/recs! :D

I'm considering a similar itinerary with my 2 year-old, DH, Grammy, and great-Grammy, so I'm very interested in suggestions, too. I love the idea of seeing some Mayan ruins, but the grandparents aren't in fantastic shape, and I've heard the bus rides can be kind of long-- perhaps not so great for a little one, either?

I'm considering a similar itinerary with my 2 year-old, DH, Grammy, and great-Grammy, so I'm very interested in suggestions, too. I love the idea of seeing some Mayan ruins, but the grandparents aren't in fantastic shape, and I've heard the bus rides can be kind of long-- perhaps not so great for a little one, either?

My trip to the ruins took 8 hours and I am not into history so I found it kind of boring. It was ok for one time but I wouldn't do it again. It was extremely hot and humid and we got eaten alive by mosquitos.

I especially would not do it with a very young child.

I agree with Paradise Beach in Cozumel, or even Chankanaab Park. In Grand Cayman, there are many beaches and all are beautiful. I haven't done my research in a while, so I don't remember names, but I just booked for Feb so will be looking again. DS will be nearly 4 when we cruise and when we've taken him before, we stick with the beaches.

I would stick with excursions close to the port. In Roatan, we went zip lining and I'm not sure what else there is to do. In Belize, many tours were quite a ride away. Check out the Ports of Call threads for more info!!

Where do we begin? We (me, DH, 16mo old DD, and Grammy) are going to Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel the first week of October. What are *the* things to do for a family with a little one in these ports? The online travel guides are pretty overwhelming, so TIA for any help/recs! :D

Belize, STAY ON THE SHIP. It's second only to Jamaica for me as far as places I'd rather not set foot in again. The city itself is dingy, the people unfriendly and tendering is a PAIN. PLus four ports with little ones (even my kids, at 6 and 10, were worn OUT by the end of the week).

Roatan, Tabayana Beach is gorgeous. Plenty of shaded areas. Water is calm and clear and shallow. Nice facilities. You get to see a bit of the island on the way to the beach.

Grand Cayman, 7 Mile Beach is easy. Really nothing special, but easy to get to and if your DD is anything like my kids, playing in the sand and water all day is great no matter where they are.

Cozumel- Chankanaab is wonderful for families. Something for everyone. Pool, shallow area/beach for DD, clean facilities, good food and service. In contrast, Paradise Beach to me, is for older teens and adults. Nothing for a 16 MO to do here compared to Chank, IMO.

And just FYI, I can't recommend rash guards ENOUGH for cruises...they were lifesavers for my kids during a week of the beating Caribbean sun and plenty of fun beach days.

Grand Cayman, 7 Mile Beach is easy. Really nothing special, but easy to get to and if your DD is anything like my kids, playing in the sand and water all day is great no matter where they are.

We took the local transit to 7 Mile Beach. I thought it was beautiful, miles and miles of white sand. My kids 4 and 6 at the time loved playing in the sand. I recommend packing some small beach toys with you and lifejackets. while a bit bulky I loved having them since I didn't have to worry so much about the kids playing in the waves.

We booked a day at one of the resorts in Cozumel. I can't remember the name but will try to find it. It was easy and a nice beach. Nice to have facilities, food, equip rental etc right near by. A bit pricey but worth the convenience.

I really appreciate all the great suggestions on beaches. Sounds like the consensus here is that the ruins are to be skipped with a toddler in tow. I'll research this a bit further, but I'm definitely leaning towards making this trip more about beaches than history (DH will be disappointed, as the chance to visit Mayan ruins was a huge selling point for him!).

Honestly, we went on a cruise before we had our daughter, and the Mayan ruins on Cozumel were (to us) a bit of a bore. For what we paid to get in, I guess we just expected more. So, personally, even without a child in tow, I would skip the ruins. For the few hours you get in port, the ruins take too long to get to, and are not very exciting anyway. Just my opinion, though.

I really appreciate all the great suggestions on beaches. Sounds like the consensus here is that the ruins are to be skipped with a toddler in tow. I'll research this a bit further, but I'm definitely leaning towards making this trip more about beaches than history (DH will be disappointed, as the chance to visit Mayan ruins was a huge selling point for him!).

If you are gonna follow Mama Parrot Head's advice and stay on the ship in Belize, why not let DH go to Altun Ha? My other suggestion (as I agree with all of Mama's suggestions:)) for Belize would be Goff's Caye. It is a 3 hr snorkel trip that picks up at the boat. Kids under 4 are free. You can snorkel from the boat or the tiny little island. My son, then 2, had a great time.

These are all great suggestions! Thank you, and keep 'em coming! :D

I must admit, though, even though I knew Belize City would be somewhat sketchy, I am saddened by the "stay on the ship" recommendation. I understand why, but it bums me out all the same. I'm not sure how a 16mo old would do on a 3 hours snorkel trip, though...

I must admit, though, even though I knew Belize City would be somewhat sketchy, I am saddened by the "stay on the ship" recommendation. I understand why, but it bums me out all the same. I'm not sure how a 16mo old would do on a 3 hours snorkel trip, though...

If you're okay with staying on the snorkel boat with your daughter or getting off the boat with your daughter in a Type 2 lifejacket, I think it makes a good "compromise." We started taking our oldest son out on our boat when he was a month old, and by 16 months we could do three-hour tours with him, although he was much older (13) before he tried snorkeling. Now he's 19, he's sailing on a tanker in the South China Sea, and he wants to get his diving certification.:cool:

Beware of life preservers "provided by the tour". That's what I was told, and they knotted an adult life preserver around my 6 YO waist and considered that acceptable. The water was also really rough...both in the small boat getting out to the snorkelling area and IN the water. We, as adults, had such a difficult time that the guides had to literally TOW us back to the boat. And after ALL that, we honestly didn't see anything snorkeling. Not ONE fish. 30 minutes of waiting to be called to tender off the ship, 30+ minutes spent tendering in, half an hour waiting on the tour guides to get organized at the dock, another half an hour backtracking literally right past the ship, getting in the water, not seeing a thing, calling it quits after like 45 minutes of STRENUOUS swimming and water conditions (the water was so rough and the bottom so stirred up, I was literally cutting the tops of my toes swimming over the top of coral I couldn't even SEE), the boat having mechanical problems and almost not starting, another 30 minutes past the ship to Belize City, another 20-30 minutes tendering back to the ship. It was just a real waste of a precious vacation day.

Obviously your choice. But I was nervous with my 6 YO and 11 YO onboard, I'd have been biting my nails with a toddler.

That's why I recommended Goff's Caye - the trip in total is about 3 hours. 20 minute boat ride to the island where you can get off and spend the morning on the island. You can snorkel just as easily from the shore as from the land - we took turns watching my 2 yo. You can see pics of this tiny little island in the middle of nowhere on wiki....

I have also heard good things about the zoo in Belize. Perhaps you, DD and Grammy could go to the zoo and DH could check out Altun Ha? Best of both worlds for everyone?

Well she LOVES swimming (in pools, so far) so maybe it could work. Is this kind of life preserver something we would bring along, or is it provided by the tour?

I would bring your own swimmy vest - whatever she uses at home. While they are not life preservers, they work best for small kids IMHO. Until my youngest could swim the lenght of the pool without help, we traveled with his and used it every time we went into the water. They even let him wear it during the dolphin enounter @ Chankanaab in Cozumel when he was 3.

That's why I recommended Goff's Caye - the trip in total is about 3 hours. 20 minute boat ride to the island where you can get off and spend the morning on the island. You can snorkel just as easily from the shore as from the land - we took turns watching my 2 yo. You can see pics of this tiny little island in the middle of nowhere on wiki....

I have also heard good things about the zoo in Belize. Perhaps you, DD and Grammy could go to the zoo and DH could check out Altun Ha? Best of both worlds for everyone?

That sounds perfect for us! Having the option to play around on the little island would be great. How much gear do you think they would let us bring? (beach umbrella? a little cooler? backpack? our own snorkel gear?)

On the ruins...it's actually Lulubelle (a PP, not me, I am the OP) that wants to see the ruins. My DH will want to stay with us and snorkel. But it sounds like your suggestion would work for her, too! :) We also love zoos, so I am going to check that out for all of us. Zoo or Goff's Caye sound like two really good options, THANKS!!! :D

I would bring your own swimmy vest - whatever she uses at home. While they are not life preservers, they work best for small kids IMHO.

Oh, thanks! We don't have a vest for her right now. She just uses a floaty that she sits it, but she definitely wants more freedom.

Any suggestions on life vest brands are welcome... (Stearns are less $$, but Stohlquist looks comfier.)

Beware of life preservers "provided by the tour". That's what I was told, and they knotted an adult life preserver around my 6 YO waist and considered that acceptable. The water was also really rough...both in the small boat getting out to the snorkelling area and IN the water. We, as adults, had such a difficult time that the guides had to literally TOW us back to the boat. And after ALL that, we honestly didn't see anything snorkeling. Not ONE fish. 30 minutes of waiting to be called to tender off the ship, 30+ minutes spent tendering in, half an hour waiting on the tour guides to get organized at the dock, another half an hour backtracking literally right past the ship, getting in the water, not seeing a thing, calling it quits after like 45 minutes of STRENUOUS swimming and water conditions (the water was so rough and the bottom so stirred up, I was literally cutting the tops of my toes swimming over the top of coral I couldn't even SEE), the boat having mechanical problems and almost not starting, another 30 minutes past the ship to Belize City, another 20-30 minutes tendering back to the ship. It was just a real waste of a precious vacation day.

Obviously your choice. But I was nervous with my 6 YO and 11 YO onboard, I'd have been biting my nails with a toddler.

:eek: Yikes. This does not sound fun at all! Was this Goff's Caye?

That makes me sad, too. I like the *idea* of going to Belize.

That sounds perfect for us! Having the option to play around on the little island would be great. How much gear do you think they would let us bring? (beach umbrella? a little cooler? backpack? our own snorkel gear?)

On the ruins...it's actually Lulubelle (a PP, not me, I am the OP) that wants to see the ruins. My DH will want to stay with us and snorkel. But it sounds like your suggestion would work for her, too! :) We also love zoos, so I am going to check that out for all of us. Zoo or Goff's Caye sound like two really good options, THANKS!!! :D

Oh, thanks! We don't have a vest for her right now. She just uses a floaty that she sits it, but she definitely wants more freedom.

Any suggestions on life vest brands are welcome... (Stearns are less $$, but Stohlquist looks comfier.)

You don't really need to worry about an umbrella - there are places to seek shade. We brought our own snorkel gear and carried another backpack with towels etc. The cooler would probably work too, but if memory serves, the ship is strict about what you can take off - perhaps only pre-packaged stuff, if at all. I believe there is a little place to get a drink on the island and the boat had punch and water. Take a sippy for your DD.

I liked the speedo vest that Target sells - its just a little zip up vest

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone speak to the local transit getting to these places? (Chankanaab Park, 7 Mile Beach, Tabayana Beach, and the zoo in Belize) Will we need to pack a car seat for a taxi? (ugh!) or are is there a bus so we would not need to drag a car seat along? I am not comfortable with DD in a taxi without a car seat, so...?

I can't believe the trip is sneaking up on me so fast! It's NEXT WEEK already! (Hurricanes, anyone? Yikes.)

That makes me sad, too. I like the *idea* of going to Belize.

I haven't cruised with a child the age of the OP's DD but I do have four kids and have been to Belize twice and my family loves it. I wouldn't get off the ship and walk around Belize City alone, but the two excursions we have done (cave tubing and a river trip to see the Lamanai ruins) were both fabulous. Belize is an interesting country and we look forward to going back.

FYI, my youngest was 8 when we did the cave tubing and 11 when we did the Lamanai trip.

My 2 cents.

Barb

Can anyone speak to the local transit getting to these places? (Chankanaab Park, 7 Mile Beach, Tabayana Beach, and the zoo in Belize) Will we need to pack a car seat for a taxi? (ugh!) or are is there a bus so we would not need to drag a car seat along? I am not comfortable with DD in a taxi without a car seat, so...?

I can't believe the trip is sneaking up on me so fast! It's NEXT WEEK already! (Hurricanes, anyone? Yikes.)

Cozumel (Chankanaab) - Taxis *(~$10-15)

Grand Cayman (7 Mile beach) - Taxis (cheap)

Have not been to the other 2 yet - In November.

we just did your same itinerary with 4 adults and my dd 33 mos old.

Here's what we did:

Cozumel: Chankanaab which I would highly recommend although it is pricey. We adults did the royal swim with the dolphins and dd was with us but only did the hug and kiss part. there's nice snorkling there, a little sea lion show which she enjoyed and she rode in the stroller while we did the archeological tour. I can tell you, it was a very pricey day but it was fantastic.

Belize: dh, dd and I went to altun ha (my adult sons went ziplining) I really wanted to see the ruins and this was a good trade off for the overly long tulum trip. The drive is about an hour, she slept a bit. It wasn't a fascinating day for her but she was fine and the good thing is there's plenty of room for them to run around at the ruins if they want --which they might not cuz, at least when we were there, it was hot! She's a good traveler so she was fine on this not that toddler friendly day.

Roatan: city tour with victor bodden. My dd loved, loved, loved the monkeys. It was one of her trip highlights so I recommend it. If I had it to do over again I'd do the monkeys, iguana farm and tabayana beach only. We had also requested shopping which wasted some time in my book except for the cameo factory which I loved!

grand cayman: we did stingray city, hell and turtle farm... again, dd loved it!!! she loved the rays. the stingray tour included a snorkling stop but the water was too rough to enjoy it and after about 15 mins we were done. we have a life jacket for her which we bought at target a few years ago. It straps between her legs and its very safe. we also brought a along a snorkling raft which was wonderful and we'll be using that again as I'm sure she won't be able to snorkel for several years.

as far as the car seat, we just didn't bring one for the excursions. I know, I know, I'm a total car seat fanatic at home but it just doesn't work in these places. the seat belt situation is iffy at best. I just had her sit next to me with the lap belt on only and told the drivers to be super careful. the good news is there is hardly any traffic so the chance of a mva is pretty minimal.

Lots of people couldn't believe we were going to take our toddler dd on these excursions but it worked out fantastically!!

Archived