Sports bar?

Starlaker

I have a very important question. :) Is there anywhere on the ship to watch football? We are boarding the Regatta on Nov. 27, the day of the Ohio State/Michigan game.

You ARE taping it, aren't you!!?? I know it's not the same thing but it should be a good game. ('course u didn't say which school you are rooting for:rolleyes:). And while we're on the subject...why oh why didn't you plan your trip better??:D

We were home for The World Cup Soccer.

Because of the time lag I cannot see anyone in Europe broadcasting schoolboy football from the USA. In fact I doubt the NFL is broadcast either.

Please accept these responses in the best British spirit.

Brian

They did broadcast the World cup in the Insignia Lounge when we were in Amsterdam

We were scheduled to leave at 10pm but I seem to recall we left later so they could finish watching the game ;)

Hi Lyn,

I followed your trip via onboard cam and wondered if they stayed in port for the conclusion of the game, even said as much to Jim...God I need to get a life..spend way too much time on this board (bored:p) Deb

If you are lucky enough to have David Shermit as your CD talk to him. He is a big sports fan and does whatever he can to get big sporting events televised in Horizons or elsewhere if there are enough requests. However sometimes it is just not possible but if you are in the Carribbean it should be possible.

Hi Lyn,

I followed your trip via onboard cam and wondered if they stayed in port for the conclusion of the game,

Yes Deb we did stay until the conclusion of the game I did not go to the lounge but Mike did

Can you imagine the uproar if they left before the end of the game :D

I remember one year in Guatemala they also got permission to stay later in port so those interested could watch the Super Bowl at the bar there

Were you on that cruise??

Lyn

Yes Deb we did stay until the conclusion of the game I did not go to the lounge but Mike did

Can you imagine the uproar if they left before the end of the game :D

I remember one year in Guatemala they also got permission to stay later in port so those interested could watch the Super Bowl at the bar there

Were you on that cruise??

Lyn

That was the reason I wondered about the game vs departure time.

No, We were on the Regatta one January when they played one of the pro football conference games in Martini's.

I assume you are referring to the real game of Football........}

Oh come on now Brian.. assume? Really there is only one football here in America.. your game is soccer..

To answer the posters question I have never seen live sports on Oceania..when esp want to see Super Bowl it was never there.. not sure why it was never offered ..hello technology anybody?

I assume you are referring to the real game of Football........}

Oh come on now Brian.. assume? Really there is only one football here in America.. your game is soccer..

To answer the posters question I have never seen live sports on Oceania..when esp want to see Super Bowl it was never there.. not sure why it was never offered ..hello technology anybody?

The reason is that they are slaved to their sat provider. It is not like they have DIRECTV. They buy a package from MTN that includes VSAT bandwidth including ship service, crewmail/services, INTERNET, cellphone, and TV. Have you ever noticed that most of the cruise line have the same old tired shows (CNNI, CNBC, FOX, ESPN, Cartoon Net, and TCM). That is the package. The cell service is provided by cellular at sea which is their JV with ATT.

http://www.mtnsat.com

Hi ClaudiaF

The governing body of real football is F I F A

The Federation of INTERNATIONAL Football Associations.

The childrens game is N F L

NATIONAL football league. It is ONLY played in the USA and there are no International Tournaments.

Football is the most played game in the World and is actually the No 1 College sport by number of players in the USA.

The ONLY reason it rarely works in the USA is that it CANNOT be controlled by TV as ALL your sports are with all those pointless timeouts so that tv can play ads.

FIFA will not allow this and that is why real Football has never taken off in America.

Again please take this response as in the spirit offered.

Brian

We play a version of this in Canada but our game is far quicker (3 downs), more exciting (more passing) and we never let some punt returner surrender before getting pummeled ;)

NATIONAL football league. It is ONLY played in the USA and there are no International Tournaments.

Apparently hockey has more appeal (and rightly so) as they broadcast, on 3 big screens, the gold medal game from the recent winter Olympics in the Lounge to the utter enjoyment of the 150+ Canadians on board. There was probably another 100+ Americans in the Lounge as well but for a welcome change those wearing the maple leaf were far more vocal.:D;)

I have never seen live sports on Oceania..when esp want to see Super Bowl it was never there.. not sure why it was never offered

Hi ClaudiaF

The governing body of real football is F I F A

The Federation of INTERNATIONAL Football Associations.

The childrens game is N F L

Football is the most played game in the World and is actually the No 1 College sport by number of players in the USA.

The ONLY reason it rarely works in the USA is that it CANNOT be controlled by TV as ALL your sports are with all those pointless timeouts so that tv can play ads.

FIFA will not allow this and that is why real Football has never taken off in America.

Again please take this response as in the spirit offered.

Brian

The only reason why it does not work in the USA -- IS IT IS BORING!!!

Hi PaulMCO

Are you making a statement or asking a question.

Please examine the NFL .....a 60 minute timed game that generally lasts up to 3 hours. Players padded up to the eyeballs so that the only thing that can be broken is a fingernail.

The world cup was watched by the following..........

According to Sponsorship Intelligence, an agency whose figures FIFA itself relies on, 715.1 million people - give or take, one in ten people alive at the time - watched the last showpiece final. How accurate this figure is is open to debate when one considers the difficulties in gauging audiences in Africa and Asia, as well as those millions who watch the match in a communal setting such as a bar, or even at work.

The Superbowl as follows

Super Bowl TV viewing figures down on last year

Sunday's Super Bowl between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals drew a US television audience of around 90 million, down about 6 per cent from 2008.

As a caveat I would readily accept that had you cited CRICKET as boring I would have to say that unless you are an afficianado (like me) to watch an International Match that can last a full 5 days and then end as a draw....I could possibly agree.

Brian

Hi PaulMCO

Are you making a statement or asking a question.

Please examine the NFL .....a 60 minute timed game that generally lasts up to 3 hours. Players padded up to the eyeballs so that the only thing that can be broken is a fingernail.

The world cup was watched by the following..........

According to Sponsorship Intelligence, an agency whose figures FIFA itself relies on, 715.1 million people - give or take, one in ten people alive at the time - watched the last showpiece final. How accurate this figure is is open to debate when one considers the difficulties in gauging audiences in Africa and Asia, as well as those millions who watch the match in a communal setting such as a bar, or even at work.

The Superbowl as follows

Super Bowl TV viewing figures down on last year

Sunday's Super Bowl between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals drew a US television audience of around 90 million, down about 6 per cent from 2008.

As a caveat I would readily accept that had you cited CRICKET as boring I would have to say that unless you are an afficianado (like me) to watch an International Match that can last a full 5 days and then end as a draw....I could possibly agree.

Brian

It was a statement. I did did not mention the NFL. Have you ever been to a college or high school game??

My opinion -- all professional sports FIFA, English league etc.... (even NFL stink)..

Any yes Cricket like Baseball is slow but enjoyable. I have lived throughout the world and I surprise my Indian business colleges that a Yank can follow a cricket game.

Cheers

The only reason why it does not work in the USA -- IS IT IS BORING!!!

For me any game that needs a break so that audience can stand and stretch qualifies as boring yet there is one that is well broadcast on TV. At least attending a live game there is the atmosphere and the live action.

I actually like both styles of football (the round ball and the pointy ball); they are not mutually exclusive to me. However, much to the scorn of my collegues I prefer Canadian football to American. I find the shorter American field with more attempts and tighter hash marks, which I can only think is ironically to try to have higher scores, to be less exciting. Well, it is still exciting because of the tremdous skills of the players. I do like American style football because of having a series of plays - each attempt (should) involve some strategy for both offense and defense. A chance to cheer, or not, every few minutes.

American football is a tremdously successful at marketing their product and know their market. They really do an excellent job though too much hype for my liking. Occasionally they try to sell it outside of the US (demo games) with mixed success. It is so strong in the US though that as PaulMCO points out, even high school games are widely broadcast on TV.

I also agree with his comments about amateur vs. pro for interesting, exciting games. For good fast and furious hockey watch the non-millionaires play if you can find a game.

Oh my goodness, what have I started?! Personally I love amateur sports of all kinds. I love watching my grandkids play soccer, I love college football (especially Ohio State), and I really love the excitement and enthusiasm of the players and fans. Nothing like being there and absorbing the excitement of game day.

Archived