Bungee Cord - Just Curious . . .

rpouls

I've seen numerous posts here about bringing bungee cords to hold the balcony door open - I'm just wondering -why?

Not trying to start a debate, but to me, the cabin is air conditioned, and if I want to be out on the balcony in the fresh air, I don't see a need to have the door left open (letting the air-conditioned 'air' out).

What's the deal??

We took one and used it. It was perfect for holding the door open, when I would have coffee for the two of us in each hand in the morning. A cold drink, in the evening for the two of us. Listening to the sound of the ocean is nice when I am getting ready...Yes, we would turn off the air!!! I enjoy the fact that my bf loves to take me on cruises and if I can get him his coffee or other beverage without him having to get up to open the door or make multiple trips...it just is a mindful thing I can do to make his day a little nicer and he appreciates it. It will go with us on the next four cruises...as we loved our balcony and have them for the next four cruises we have booked.

We don't use bungee cords to hold the balcony door open but the balcony divider. We usually cruise with friends and get side by side cabins so when the balcony divider is open we have much larger balcony.

We also use them to secure smaller bags/boxes from on board purchases and souvenirs to our larger rolling luggage for self-assisted debarkation. Less to manhandle during the mad rush to debark.

I've seen numerous posts here about bringing bungee cords to hold the balcony door open - I'm just wondering -why?

Not trying to start a debate, but to me, the cabin is air conditioned, and if I want to be out on the balcony in the fresh air, I don't see a need to have the door left open (letting the air-conditioned 'air' out).

What's the deal??

We've done this. It does let you hear the waves. But also any noise form other balconies and decks. If you're in and out of the balcony setting things up or having others in your cabin, it does make it easier to move in and out of the cabin with things in your hands. But it creates a very strong cross breeze when the cabin door is open and slams that door and the bathroom door. It will, after a while, shut off the air conditioning inside the cabin.

What's the deal??

I prefer the door to be left open as I enjoy the temperate climate and humidity.

And no I don't pack a bungee along with other crap that others take with them including duct tape, coffee makers and the kitchen sink (you never know when you might want to do dished in your room) ;). Others get by just fine without bungees.

• 2 years later...

What's the deal??

I love to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and just like to walk out onto the balcony. DH would never sleep through my opening and closing of the door, even though I NEVER let it slam. With the bungee, I just walk right outside, sit for a while, then go back to bed.

What's the deal??

I also don't get it.

We used ours to hold the balcony door open so we could sit outside and the kids could go back and forth without us opening the door for them a thousand times. Also allowed us to keep an ear on them when they were inside the cabin playing or sleeping. And used it as an extra laundry line in the bathroom to dry swimsuits.

We actually use the door stop that the room steward uses to service the main cabin door. You can jam it in the door frame and it works the best yet!

is The door stop kept in the room? if so that would work great

Archived