Taking Wine onboard ship

Cat_Lover3

We will be doing the Panama Canal on the Island Princess in December. Are we allowed to take bottles of wine onboard with us. We would love to be able to sit out on our balcony and enjoy a glass while watching the scenery. I believe I saw where you can't take liquor but are allowed wine. Thanks in advance for the information

You are allowed to take wine, champagne, sodas, and bottled water on board Princess ships. We are sailing on the Emerald Princess next month and plan on bringing wine on board initially, and buying more in the ports as needed for our 20-day cruise. Don't forget to pack the corkscrew...;)!

Enjoy & Smooth Sailing! :)

Thanks for the information. Another question. I think I read somewhere a bottle per person? Is that for both embarkation and when you buy while in port. That should be plenty as we wouldn't be drinking that much and will probably have wine with dinner but just wondering. Don't want to ge in trouble :)

We took several bottles of wine aboard when we left home port in FL. Saw people with more than several bottles. Not sure that they have a limit. However at ports of call they would let you bring wine only part of the time. Do not know why they would let bring it aboard sometimes and not others ,it would go to storage for pickup when you got home. Bill

On our last cruise on the Diamond Princess back in June, we carried on 2 bottle of wine (each) upon embarkation with no problem. We did not try to hide it - just carried it on board with our hand luggage. We each bought another bottle in Juneau and brought that back on board with no problem.

We plan on taking 3 bottles each when we leave FLL on the Emerald Princess on Oct 9th - then buying more in port as needed. We will be on a 20-day b-2-b Caribbean cruise, so we will be "relaxing" a bit more out on the balcony ---;):D! And - we also love to 'share' with new-found friends!

You won't get in trouble...Princess and HAL are very "grown-up" about their carry-on wine policies. You can drink it in your cabin with no corkerage fees - you can carry your own glass of your own wine into the dining room with no corkerage fee. But if you bring the whole bottle to the dining venues or to the pool areas, etc - THEN you will be charged a corkerage fee.

Have a great cruise! :)

You are allowed to take wine, champagne, sodas, and bottled water on board Princess ships. We are sailing on the Emerald Princess next month and plan on bringing wine on board initially, and buying more in the ports as needed for our 20-day cruise. Don't forget to pack the corkscrew...;)!

Enjoy & Smooth Sailing! :)

This goes for HAL too, however I can't be 100% sure about sodas.

john

OP,

I would post my question over on the Princess board to get current info on your ship and port.

I have seen at boarding a table to check liquor and I think there is an official limit for wine on Princess. They do a verbal check as you pass. If you get there when the table is unmanned or if you just don't confess, you should not have any problem carrying on wine. Checking it is even easier.

But I would check for the current info on the Princess board.

Have a great trip.

We were on the Ruby in February. We arrived the day before and made a stop at Total Wines. We bought 10 bottles of wine (10 day cruise) and they gave us a used winery shipping box for the wine. Using tape borrowed from the hotel front desk, we sealed the box and put a luggage tag on it. I gave it to the luggage handlers along with our checked luggage and a tip. The box was delivered safe and sound to our stateroom. We cleaned out the refrigerator so we could put our wine in it and asked the attendant for two wine glasses which he kept clean. He offered to get an opener but we had our own. We enjoyed a bottle of wine every night on the balcony. We plan to do it again on our January cruise on the Island. Like another poster said, Princess treats you like grownups.

We took 5 bottles on our Alaskan cruise. Having a glass of wine on the balcony (brrrrrr) or while getting ready for dinner is great! It didn't stop us from buying wine at dinner or having an umbrella drink by the pool. The ships do make a huge profit from the sale of alcohol, so I try not to deprive them of our share! :cool:

I always bring wine except on Royal Caribbean since they do not allow it. The cabin steward will bring wine glasses if you ask and then I carry my wine in to dinner with me. No questions asked. I have even had the Maitre D take my wine glass and carry it for me to my table.

........... I have even had the Maitre D take my wine glass and carry it for me to my table.
That was nice of him. That way if the ship listed "he" would be the one who would have spilled the wine all over someone else :eek: instead of you spilling it.:p But then I am sure he has a more steady footing then most of us.

Archived