Does the Mariner care anymore??

travelzoo

Carnival has two ships in Galveston 12 months a year. RCI has one ship there for 4 months in the winter. Carnival is bringing in two brand new ships just being built and larger than the present ones. RCI is bringing in the old MOTS. Carnival has Galveston in their pocket with token competition from RCI. The only reason being that RCI needs somewhere to station their ship between seasons in the Mediterranean. How long before RCI pulls out completely? I am switching to Carnival out of Galveston.

That "old" ship is still better in design than those retread carny designs. Which ship has a better pass to size ratio along with a better pass flow ?

All of you self proclaimed food critics...GET OVER YOURSELVES! Every restaurant is going to have an off night or maybe your taste is just not up to the ship's fine cuisine. I have never had what I can say is a bad meal. Perhaps something that just didn't ring my bell or an over cooked piece of meat but that is not something that can't be fixed. If you don't like the ship, don't sail on it.

Well said!!

Carnival has two ships in Galveston 12 months a year. RCI has one ship there for 4 months in the winter. Carnival is bringing in two brand new ships just being built and larger than the present ones. RCI is bringing in the old MOTS. Carnival has Galveston in their pocket with token competition from RCI. The only reason being that RCI needs somewhere to station their ship between seasons in the Mediterranean. How long before RCI pulls out completely? I am switching to Carnival out of Galveston.

Yea, whatever. Yay for you and yay for Carnival. :rolleyes:

Anyways, back to the subject, I was recently on the Mariner and I found the food to be as good as always. It has not gotten worse.

I know I know, Everyone on CC that thinks the food is so bad on on board the various ships are frequent diners at exlusive fine restaurants and nothing on the ship meets the delight of their taste buds in the MDR or Chops or Portifinos or the Windjammer or any other eatarie that the sip might have. It's funny that when you see the wait staff clean the plates from the tables they are all empty. I have not seen mal-nourished cruiser disembarking at the end!

Sooo true. All those foodies who think the food is "aweful" on these ships must really be suffering as they finish off every last bite of their horrible, 7 course meal night after night. :p

Katherine

Sooo true. All those foodies who think the food is "aweful" on these ships must really be suffering as they finish off every last bite of their horrible, 7 course meal night after night. :p

Katherine

ROTFLMAO!! So true! Those plates overladen with food from the Windjammer, Promenade Cafe, and the double entrees people post about ordering, NEVER get eaten because the food is SOOOOOO awful! :rolleyes:;):p

Some of the changes have been in place for over a year. It is a business after all. The fact that most boats are sailing at or near capacity says a lot about the perceived value of cruising, especially in today's economy. I discovered cruising comparatively recently, so maybe I would miss the old ways if I knew about them, but for now, I am hooked on cruising.

Why don't you ask your chef friend to help out in the ships kitchen?

:D

I am a 10 time cruiser 9 on Royal 1 on carnival and have invited some friends on their first cruise he is a chef. The last 9 cruises with Royal I have been on the main dining room food has been really good not great but really good. I read all the reviews. They all have one thing in common lately REALLY BAD FOOD. is it because they are moving and dont care about us west coasters anymore? Or is this the new norm on royal?

I guess I am confused as to why the OP would think that repositioning a ship would make the staff "give up" or "not care" anyway? Ships are always on the move. The staff doesn't even really know WHERE a ship is any given day. They just do their job the same as always. It's just a silly assumption that repo'ing the Mariner would make staff stop working 4 months beforehand?!?!

Anyway, this thread's been beaten to a dead pulp....

I am sad that the Mariner is leaving the West Coast of course, and our Thanksgiving cruise will likely be the last one on her (we took the cruise when they cancelled our Spring Break 2011 cruise due to it leaving LA). I am happy that I will have one more opportunity to experience this gorgeous ship and it's great staff. And, we'll be bringing the kids this time so they can enjoy the extensive kid's club facilities too.

Who knows, maybe RCCL will bring back a ship to CA again someday, perhaps when the Panama Canal is widened? Until then, I am building up my loyalty with Princess, who repeatedly brings the best ships to the West Coast and Alaska and has some new and exciting itiniaries (like the new CA Coastal and Hawaii RT on the Golden and Sapphire)....

Katherine

I am currently ON the Mariner.

Food in the MDR is good.

Food in the WJ is good.

Relax, travelzoo. Cruising is what it always was. The Mariner is a good ship, and never DID care about you or anyone else. It's a ship. :rolleyes:

The ship is clean, well-maintained, with an excellent, caring crew. My cabin attendant is fabulous, and our My Time Dining waiters equally good. People all over the ship smile and make you feel welcome.

Thanks Merion-Mom. I am one of the people who is very excited to welcome her (The Mariner) to Galveston. I even have a cruise booked on her for my 63 birthday (Feb 26, 2012). It is good to hear positive things about her.

Archived