NCL Sky review from 9/3.....

Scotoco

the OP did take the 9/3 sailing which was a 3 day cruise (and according to an earlier post he won). Departs on Friday at 4pm and returns Monday at 7am. These weekend sailings will ALWAYS have more drinking (which will lead to other problems) than the 4 days sailings.

I would not take that either...... now 15 years ago I would have been the first in line and first to be off my arse drunk.

I will never go to Disney World on a weekend either.....same rules apply. Crowd is totally different. The better the customers behave, the better the employees react.

No way would I cancel a cruise based on what anyone that I did not know and trust said.

I make my own decisions based on my own experiences. Would it be worth the money to find out if I like it??? You bet. Cause we REALLY liked it. So much so that we are looking at the Jewel. And we are experienced cruisers across multiple lines.

We sailed on the Sky in August and never experienced any of the things the OP did. Not one!

If memory serves me correctly, the OP came here a few months ago mad as a hornet about something involving his reservation, maybe he was upset about the daily service charge I think?

He seemed quite determined to have a bad time on the SKY, and he sure did, or at least claims to, to perhaps save face.

This review was in the cards.....

I have been on several cruises in March. 7 nights or less cruises are filled with Spring Breakers having a lot of fun. For some reason Spring Break in March is the time a lot of 8th graders go on group trips, as well as, college-age students.

Have fun and enjoy all of the happy people. We don't usually stay up past 11 PM, so we haven't run into a lot of drunks.

If memory serves me correctly, the OP came here a few months ago mad as a hornet about something involving his reservation, maybe he was upset about the daily service charge I think?

He seemed quite determined to have a bad time on the SKY, and he sure did, or at least claims to, to perhaps save face.

This review was in the cards.....

Pretty much everything he wrote was predictable. I won't even buy the passport fiasco. No way the passport is leaving my sight. He doesn't seem to be a moron and I cannot imagine him letting it happen to him.

Predictable? Bankable.

It is important to remember that EVERY cruise is different. The short Bahamas cruises on both NCL and Carnival are known for their party atmosphere. I was on the Sky 8 months ago for the 4 night cruise. It was filled with senior citizens and the ship was asleep by 10pm. There was a major retirement home from Ohio that booked a ton of rooms. Even the NCL employees stated they had never seen so many old people on board before. So my Sky cruise was not "typical" but shows that every cruise was different. The Sky is a great ship and the price is right. You can even get the owners suite and it is affordable.

The Sky has the same scary review like some of the Epic. Dont let that scare you. The Sky is the oldest NCL ship but still the youngest cruise ship to sail the Bahamas. It also has been updated twice in 10 years. It is not the Jewel or Pearl and is a different class of ship. But the price is right and I loved my cruise.

Just rememeber that the cheap price brings in people that normally dont cruise or cant afford to cruise. They expect champagne on a beer budget.

You can read my review of the Sky in the review section.

The bad parts of the above posters have all but made me cry. I needed a vacation badly....enjoyed the Sky a few years ago, and thought it would be good again as the price was great for a balcony cabin. I am on the dreaded 9 aft.

At the moment I am staying in a nice beachfront condo in Ft. Lauderdale. It might be best if I just stay put and skip the cruise. "Time" cannot be recovered.....if for some reason I were to become ill or worse, I would rather it be in a clean condo and not on the Sky! I have learned a lot here........my vacation (quality time) away from work is way more important than a cheap balcony cabin.:(

Thanks to all.

Based on your posts it sounds as if you are not going on your cruise....that is the most foolish "unexperienced" thing I have ever heard of doing based on ONE review posted on an internet forum !!! :eek::confused::eek:

Hope you find your dream cruise...and here's to hoping I don't end up on the same one.:p

I am very sorry that you experienced the things that you did. There is no excuse for the cabin being in the condition it was. I don't think the beds being separated is a big deal because that can easily be corrected when the cabin was made up that evening but the cabin should have been cleaned. I am curious if you heard from the head of housekeeping.

I was on the same cruise and we had the exact opposite experience. While our air conditioning was iffy at times, that was really the only complaint. We were in #6003. The cabin steward and assistant cabin steward kept everything spotless and were quite friendly.

We didn't eat in the MD rooms but at Il Adagio and Le Bistro as well as the buffet for breakfast and dinner one night and the Sports Bar. I was expecting the food to be so so but enjoyed it all. Every crew member we encountered was friendly and provided wonderful service with a smile.

This was our fifth NCL cruise and we will be going on the Epic in a few weeks. We have cruised all the major lines (40 cruises total). I was afraid this would be a big party boat with drunks all over but I only saw one older drunk man, who stumbled in prior to the start of the comedian's act. I am sure there were others. I just didn't see them. It was a party atmosphere but there were still lots families on board.

This cruise was night and day compared to a 3-nighter I did a few years ago on Sovereign of the Seas. I couldn't wait to get off of that one.

I was on the same cruise and we had the exact opposite experience. While our air conditioning was iffy at times, that was really the only complaint. We were in #6003. The cabin steward and assistant cabin steward kept everything spotless and were quite friendly.

This cruise was night and day compared to a 3-nighter I did a few years ago on Sovereign of the Seas. I couldn't wait to get off of that one.

A good example of how two people on the same cruise can have a very different experience. Neither person is right or wrong, as it's very possible for this to happen. On big ships that carry a couple thousand passengers, different people are exposed to different crew members, fellow passengers, entertainment, cabins, etc. etc.

Funny what you say about SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS. I loved that ship and had such a great time on my 3-night cruise on her. Same with MONARCH OF THE SEAS (sister ship) but a 4-night out of LA. In the case of SKY this past July, I was ready to get off after 3-days. Mainly because of issues with my cabin and too much crowding by the pool (which basically made it unusable for me at least). Standing room only in a pool with murky water is not my idea of fun.

Ernie

Well, just thought I would put my "2 cents" in here. I normally cruise on Carnival (once on HAL), but thought I would try NCL due to such a great price. Our cabins were exceptionally clean during the whole cruise and our room stewards were great. As far as the food goes, we weren't impressed at all! I prefer Carnival food anyday. Being this was a smaller ship, the pools/jacuzzis were very small also, never really able to enjoy them because there were just too many people in them. Since school was back in, we really didn't have too many kids on board and the ones that we did have were very young. We did have a "power outage" for about 2 hours one afternoon and it did get a little warm on the ship and we couldn't use the elevators, which really wasn't that big of a deal. The cabins and bathrooms are definitely smaller than Carnival, but it wasn't that big of a deal. There was a lot of partying going on, but nothing so bad that I wouldn't take my kids on that's for sure. Overall, for the price, I would cruise NCL again, but not on the Sky, I really prefer the larger ships. I would NOT advise anyone to cancel a cruise just because of what they read on these boards or any other boards for that matter. Everyone has their own personal opinions and ideas of how things should be.

And just think how much more displeased he would have been if he'd had to pay for his cruise instead of winning it;).

I didn't know about that. Maybe that is why he was upset with the tips. Maybe he thought that should have been included in the prize, or why he really believes it should be included in the fare. It is all illogical no matter how he spins it.

PE

I'm not going to argue whether or not the room was left in the state that it was or about most of the other complaints. However, did you really expect to go on a short weekend cruise during the last weekend of summer on a major cruise line and not see a lot people drunk and partying??? A little common sense may have helped you there.:)

You and the scotoco were a travelling pair? Wow! We had no idea he could find anyone to travel with.

We knew what his review would be like about 3-4 months ago. We had no warning that you'd be along for the dessert to his graciousness. Good for us!

You do understand that the crew that you 'tipped' individually is required to pool them in with the DSC so that in reality all you did there was make it necessary for them to try to explain why you removed the DSC. THAT makes their day a lot easier.

Here at CC, we are not allowed to comment on anyone's lack of prowess as regards spelling or grammar. I think everyone is in agreement that it's a good policy. Should we take a poll?

Why does NCL charge 12 per person and princess charges 10.50 when their service is much better. NCL service was just par when princess goes over and above (my brother just go back from a princess cruise and I bought a nice bottle of wine with chocolate covered strawberries through the ship for him and his wife as a surprise for their anniversary. The bottle was delivered an hour before dinner to their room with a nice note from me). I asked NCL if they would do that and they would but would not guarantee a delivery time for the wine. Little things like that it why NCL has a bad rap through the cruising world.

The DSC isn't in that total for a bunch of stuff that WASN'T necessary, unlike the DSC which WAS necessary. Strange.

Tips = DSC.....:rolleyes:

I think the food at the alternate restaurants was a lot better than the main dining room food. I saw the shrimp cocktail (popcorn shrimp in ketchup and the fish just did not look good). My fiance and I enjoy drinking wine with dinner and enjoy having a nice vodka martini before dinner. I enjoyed all of those things and I do not look at it as a waste. Also, who does not enjoy gambling.

So, according to you, you only do things on the cruise that is necessary. Boy, you must be a lot of fun to go with on a cruise. Lets see, glass on sparking tap water every night for dinner followed by a nice walk on the deck with bread sticks (of course free) and iced tea. I bet you go to the island and sneak food off the ship to snack on while walking around. I bet you bring a water bottle to fill up before heading out in town. Try and splurge a little. Live it up.

Gosh, I have no idea how they came up with a dollar amount for the DSC.

I know the crew is happy with the amount and that's why they get the best crews on NCL. Everyone knows that. All that is moot.

We didn't see the DSC on that list of what your cruise 'cost' ya. We know the DSC is a cost and it didn't show on your non-believable list-case in point: acouple of drinks+ $40.00.

Gosh, I have no idea how they came up with a dollar amount for the DSC.

I know the crew is happy with the amount and that's why they get the best crews on NCL. Everyone knows that. All that is moot.

We didn't see the DSC on that list of what your cruise 'cost' ya. We know the DSC is a cost and it didn't show on your non-believable list-case in point: acouple of drinks+ $40.00.

Wow, your math is bad.

$12 day x 2 = $24

$24 x 3 days = $72 (sorry I was off by 3 dollars)

And no, the best crews are not on NCL. What don't you understand about tips = DSC. I will fix it for you if that makes you happy.

DSC (aka Tips) = $72

Tips = DSC.....:rolleyes:

I think the food at the alternate restaurants was a lot better than the main dining room food. I saw the shrimp cocktail (popcorn shrimp in ketchup and the fish just did not look good). My fiance and I enjoy drinking wine with dinner and enjoy having a nice vodka martini before dinner. I enjoyed all of those things and I do not look at it as a waste. Also, who does not enjoy gambling.

So, according to you, you only do things on the cruise that is necessary. Boy, you must be a lot of fun to go with on a cruise. Lets see, glass on sparking tap water every night for dinner followed by a nice walk on the deck with bread sticks (of course free) and iced tea. I bet you go to the island and sneak food off the ship to snack on while walking around. I bet you bring a water bottle to fill up before heading out in town. Try and splurge a little. Live it up.

Hmmmm...I could call BS again....but why beat a dead horse...:rolleyes:

I was on the same 9/3 cruise and had a pretty good experience on the Sky. Our cabin was always clean and we had no AC problems (we were also on deck 9 aft). I didn't think the food in the MDR was great, but it certainly wasn't inedible. I didn't witness any sloppy drunken partiers, but then again I went on the cruise mainly to relax and didn't go to any of the late night parties.

I only had a couple of complaints about the cruise. The first was our neighbors in the suite next door who turned up their music so loud we could hear it clearly in our cabin and outside on the balcony. I had to speak to them twice about turning it down. The second was the quality of the mystery dinner theatre. We had done it before on RCL and had a great time, but this didn't even compare. They divided us up into groups of 6 and we were each assigned a character and given a script to read while we ate. We barely saw the cruise staff moderating the event and it was very confusing. Also, you could tell the script was left over from when the ship sailed the Hawaiian Islands. So I wouldn't recommend doing the mystery dinner.

I had a great time in the ports, though. I did the Sea Lion Excursion in Nassau at the Blue Lagoon and it was GREAT! I also enjoyed Great Stirrup Cay...did the parasailing then just relaxed on the beach the rest of the day.

All in all, I thought it was a decent cruise for the price. We went mainly because it fit the dates we were off but I probably will stick with RCL in the future. But I certainly would not let the bad reviews scare anyone off from doing this cruise.

After reading more than enough bad reviews of the Sky I decided to cancel, got all my money back, and rebooked same dates on RCCL Majesty of the Seas. This will be our 3rd cruise on RCCL and I feel sooooo much better about this cruise now. It did cost me about $200 total to switch but in my opinion will be money well spent.

My 14 yr old son and I are booked on the Sky for Springbreak on March 14th for 4 nights and this review has scared the hell out of me....Not sure what to do as I don't think we would get our airfare refunded? I booked our air at a very common online travel site. We were so looking forward to spending the day at Atlantis which has been a dream of my son's for quite some time. It is completely unacceptable and disgusting that you found your room with dishes' date=' garbage, condoms...I would have thrown holly hell if I found that mess. Any advice from other posters.....Should I cancel this cruise?[/quote']

I am also booked for next year last week in June... Taking 2 adult children and two tweens.. I was horrified by the review myself. However we just took the tweens on the Jewel this past July and we loved it. I believe a cruise is all in what you make it.. We had a party of 27 and 1/2 didn't like the cruise or service the other half no complaints. I believe all cruises have people partying and drinking. The Jewel was a Nickelodeon Cruise and at the Pool Side the DJ was playing all kinds of music young adults, adults and my friend and I seen teen girls sharing a beer. So partying is uncontrollable I believe some go to party others go to relax.. Again I believe a cruise is what you make of it. We enjoyed the Atlantis Aqua-Adventure.. A bit expensive from the cruise but to see the smile on our kids face and ours too.. can't beat it. I'm not going to cancel my trip but I will be very observant and check my room.:rolleyes: Also I have been RCC - Majesty of the Seas during the month of March we found it to be for more adults (not a problem here). The shows were good.

Archived