Train from Civitavecchia

cruisin56

Does anyone happen to know the actual name of the train that can be taken from the port into Roma S. Pietro?? Is there a difference between local trains, regional trains? Also trying to see the actual train schedule so can determine ahead of time how to budget our time in order to get back to the ship in ample time

Thanks

You want a regional train (Regionale)

If the train number is listed, it will begin with an R, e.g., R 1234. Generally they leave Civitavecchia at 41 and 59 after the hour with others at busy times at 08 after then hour. Any train beginning with IC will not stop at S. Pietro. Note that there are only a few of these (they also cost more)

The train doesn't have a name, per se.

There are different trains that run between Civitavecchia and Rome. Most of the trains are regionals, but there are a few InterCity (IC) and Eurostar City (ES City) trains. The regional may be referred to as the FR5 by some, but for the most part it's simply the regional train.

To see the schedule, go to the Trenitalia web site here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

Put in a date within the next seven days - if you go farther out in time the schedule may not be complete.

Thanks ab0si...so there is no actual name of this train just look for something with an R...again trying to determine the true schedule going and coming back especially. What is the difference between the regional train and Rail Europe which seems to also travel between Civatavecchia anhd Roma S. Pietro...

go to this link and it does also give a schedule with a round trip for $15...doesn't seem to be a outside marketer...

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point_to_point/triprequest.htm

RailEurope has an exclusive agency arrangement for several markets (including the U.S). It is an agency, reseller, pick your term. They do add a significant mark-up to the price of the ticket. For regional trains, there is absolutely no reason to use them. You can not reserve seats on regional trains, so they can never sell out. There is no discount for buying early, so just buy your ticket at the station. RailEurope does not sell BIRG tickets (I think) -- search this forum for information on this useful pass).

Also, RailEurope's schedule information is incomplete. So, except for not providing a useful service, adding very high commissions,and providing misleading information, I like them a lot.

For the most up to date info on the trains see the 'Italian Trains' link in my sig line. I have an update pending, which has a few changes in time, most within 1-3 minutes. When dealing with Italian Trains to come back to port, always plan on the second to the last train that will get you there when you need to be, That way you have one train to fall back on in case there are problems - you are in Italy, afterall!

Does anyone happen to know the actual name of the train that can be taken from the port into Roma S. Pietro?? Is there a difference between local trains, regional trains? Also trying to see the actual train schedule so can determine ahead of time how to budget our time in order to get back to the ship in ample time

Thanks

1. If you are checking for 2011: the new schedule will be released December 12.

2. There are two types of Regional Trains:

one stops at every stop and takes about 20 minutes longer

the other only stops at three "major" stations on the way to Roma S. Pietro.

If you return from Roma Termini you may also use the InterCity Long Distance Trains as well subject you have an appropiate ticket and reservation (needs only 52 minutes - but does not stop at Roma S. Pietro)

Regards

HeinBloed

go to this link and it does also give a schedule with a round trip for $15...doesn't seem to be a outside marketer...

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point_to_point/triprequest.htm

No it is, you can buy a BIRG ticket that is not only round trip train fare but also unlimited metro and bus travel in Rome for the day for 9.5 euros or about $12 at the train station.

Kirk

It does not make sense to pre-purchase tickets for Italian trains (especially from a 3rd party marketing company.)

Tickets for Italian trains cannot be exchanged or returned (unless you live in Italy); and then only after great difficulty, and for a credit only for future travel. Tickets are readily available at the station, even on very busy days. There are no assigned seats on local/regionale trains.

It does not make sense to pre-purchase tickets for Italian trains (especially from a 3rd party marketing company.)

Tickets for Italian trains cannot be exchanged or returned (unless you live in Italy); and then only after great difficulty, and for a credit only for future travel. Tickets are readily available at the station, even on very busy days. There are no assigned seats on local/regionale trains.

1. If you purchase train tickets for regional trains (available from 7 days before travel date): you can go for the booked train plus 3 hours. So this change is allowed.

2. If you purchase trains trickets for long-distance services you can change 1 time but depends to the fare you booked. Even against small fee you can return online the online tickets.

You can also book as Non-Italian if you are participating MasterCard Secure or Verified by Visa programme.

Just booked as Non-Italian train tickets online...

FSTicket-vi.jpg

which gives you access to upto 30% discounted tickets for the long-distance trains.

Regards

HeinBloed

We never buy in advance (we don't travel on busy days such as holidays etc) and we often buy from the machine instead of lining up at the station.

No idea if they upgraded the machines but that was January 2009:

2009MSCFTS11082-vi.jpg

No BIRG-ticket available at the machine...

and mostly in Italian...

2009MSCFTS11085-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

No idea if they upgraded the machines but that was January 2009:

No BIRG-ticket available at the machine...

and mostly in Italian...

Regards

HeinBloed

Problem with the ticket machines is that the BIRG is not a train ticket. It is a transportation ticket (for buses and trains). It is available at most newsstands in town, including the one in the train station.

Hello Cruisin 56! We did Rome on our own on Thursday, 9/2/10, and this cruise was the first time we had ever been to Europe or on a cruise for that matter. We learned how to do Rome on our own almost completely from these very informative boards. The train from Civitavecchia to Rome via the Birg ticket is so easy to do. I tried to use the machines, but one was out of order and frankly, I found the other one confusing that morning (I think I was nervous being our family’s guide for the day). But no matter, I just went into the bar and asked to buy a Berg ticket for 9 Euros each. The lady was very helpful and we had no problems. Others from our ship went to the main ticket counter and were told a higher price. One person even asked about the cost only being 9 Euros, but the ticket agent didn’t tell them about the Birg. We tried to shew people to the bar where we could. For 36 Euros, our family of four had transportation covered for the day. We used it on the Metro in Rome and for our return trip of course. Make sure you validate your ticket at the yellow machines on the platform. No one every asked for our tickets, but I read that it is important to do or pay hefty fines. We rode 45 minutes to Roma Ostiense, walked through the tunnel to Metro Station Piramide, took the Metro B line to in the direction of Rebibbia and got off one stop to Circo Massimo. We went to the Mouth of Truth first because it was so close, and then headed to Palatine Hill to buy the Colosseum tickets. Definitely, defiantly do this! We waited in line for maybe 7-8 minutes and had our tickets to the Colosseum and the Forum. The line at the Colosseum llesum was HUGE! Rome can be done on your own! If a family from Metro Detroit (which had virtually no public transportation to speak of – we drive our cars here) who has never been to Europe before can do this, so can you. Have a blast.

Check out these sites for more info: This is a YouTube video from the Ship Dock to the Civitavecchia Train Station. I certainly appreciated the video of how to start the day!

This site was extremely helpful to me. It reviews how to use the train from Civitavecchia to Rome using the BIRG ticket: How To Travel From Civitavecchia To Rome By Train Using A BIRG Ticket

I picked up train schedules from here: http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

I think Euro Cruiser pulled this together – great Info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1237189

I viewed both of the videos, and both are quite good with a couple of exceptions.

(1) They (port officials) will stop you if you attempt to walk to the port entrance. The one showing people walking is from the close-in ferry terminal, not the distant cruise terminals. Cruise passengers must take a shuttle.

(2) Both videos show you having to climb stairs to get to the station. This is not necessary. About a block before you get to the referenced cross walk, cross the street and follow the street to your right that goes slightly uphill. There are sidewalks. At the top, the train station.

(2) Both videos show you having to climb stairs to get to the station. This is not necessary. About a block before you get to the referenced cross walk, cross the street and follow the street to your right that goes slightly uphill. There are sidewalks. At the top, the train station.

GSP is correct, there is no need to climb steps. After leaving the port and passing the McDonalds, you come to the intersection of Via Amando Diaz and Viale Giuseppe Garibaldi. The video shows you going straight at this intersection; in fact, if you do so you are crossing the street (which often has a lot of traffic) where there is no crosswalk.

Instead, just past the McDonalds, when you come to this intersection, take a few steps to the left and you'll see the painted crosswalk to get across Via Amando Diaz. This puts you on Viale Giuseppe Garabaldi with the park on your right, instead of on your left as in the video. There will be shops on your left. Walk along this street for a little more than four blocks and you'll be right in front of the train station (on your left), with no steps involved.

Archived