Seabourn Sojourn, Norway fjords!

editor@cruisecritic

Hi, I'm heading to Copenhagen Monday to cruise on Seabourn Sojourn's Norwegian fjords trip (brrrrr). There's a lot of excitement on two fronts; after an Adriatic/Greek Isles cruise last year on Odyssey, I'm intrigued to try Sojourn. And I've never been to Norway's fjords before so am curious.

I'll be writing dispatches from the trip, as Internet allows, here, on our blog (http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog). I hope you'll wander over and check it out.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hi, I'm heading to Copenhagen Monday to cruise on Seabourn Sojourn's Norwegian fjords trip (brrrrr). There's a lot of excitement on two fronts; after an Adriatic/Greek Isles cruise last year on Odyssey, I'm intrigued to try Sojourn. And I've never been to Norway's fjords before so am curious.

I'll be writing dispatches from the trip, as Internet allows, here, on our blog (www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog). I hope you'll wander over and check it out.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Very nice to read you will be joining us on this hopefully not too cold Norwegian Fjords cruise. I hope we will meet each other...

By the way, there was already an existing (roll call) thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1236662

Marja

I'll be writing dispatches from the trip, as Internet allows, here, on our blog (http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog). I hope you'll wander over and check it out.

Carolyn Spencer Brown, Editor in Chief, Cruise Critic

The Internet will get a little challenged in certain places, including the fjords. The mountain walls are too high at that higher degree of latitude in the world to reach the connections in the sky. But, you can have them written up (assuming your brought along a laptop) and then log on when you get out in the most open areas to post/upload. It's a great and wonderful area!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coast lines of the fjords.

FjordsDramaticClouds2.jpg

Along the Flam train route, here are two of the beautiful valley views with a nice waterfall, etc.:

FlamTrainValleyWFallView.jpg

FlamTrainValleyView.jpg

Thanks, Terry!

Question for you: I'm writing an intro today or tomorrow for the blog and would love to include a few of your photos. If that's okay, send a few of your favorites (say, maximum, five) to me at editor@cruisecritic.co.uk (just remind me what they're of). And if not, no worries!

Carolyn

The Internet will get a little challenged in certain places, including the fjords. The mountain walls are too high at that higher degree of latitude in the world to reach the connections in the sky. But, you can have them written up (assuming your brought along a laptop) and then log on when you get out in the most open areas to post/upload. It's a great and wonderful area!!!

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coast lines of the fjords.

FjordsDramaticClouds2.jpg

Along the Flam train route, here are two of the beautiful valley views with a nice waterfall, etc.:

FlamTrainValleyWFallView.jpg

FlamTrainValleyView.jpg

Hi Carolyn!

I'm almost done packing... flying Wednesday morning though! Will be able to see some relatives that way before I go.

If you need some fotos of the Sojourn on forehand, I could advise you this link:

http://carsten.smugmug.com/Ships/Seabourn-Sojourn/13614282_dQ2Wy#993298915_iB3Ax

See you soon!

Marja

Thanks, Terry! Question for you: I'm writing an intro today or tomorrow for the blog and would love to include a few of your photos. If that's okay, send a few of your favorites (say, maximum, five) to me at editor@cruisecritic.co.uk (just remind me what they're of). And if not, no worries! Carolyn

YES, Carolyn! I would be honored and happy to share some of those pictures and have you post them on your upcoming trip preview. Will follow-up by separate e-mail. Below are a few added ones to consider as you will be Alesund and Bergen, in addition to the fjords. In helping to boost your overall numbers at Cruise Critic, I am pleased to note on my posting/blog/live reports that the total number of "views" is now up to 17,800. That's quite a number of looks, plus comments, etc. on this series of postings from when we cruised.

We did a special two-hour tour for our group of six with Anne Lien, the owner of Bergen Guide Service. You might consider contacting her. She was super good. You can reach Anne at http://www.bergenguideservice.no or by e-mail at anne@bergenguideservice.no. Anne gave us the details about the unique history of the Hanseatic merchants, how their building were built, what’s caused the crooked-look of today and what’s being done to preserve these unique structures.

Docked near our ship and the historic fortress in Bergen was the brand new Seabourn Soujourn. Cool-looking ship, especially from this angle high on the mountain overlooking Bergen.:

BergenSeabournSoujorn.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

From Aksla, here is some of the charming architecture in Alesund. This includes a canal or waterway in the heart of the town.:

AlesundHarbor2.jpg

At a lower, street-level part of Alesund, here are some of the buildings along the central waterway, plus a nice statue.:

AlesundHarborLowerStat.jpg

From the Aksla viewpoint in Alesund, here is another spectacular view that shows distance islands, landscapes and mountains.:

AlesundVistaPerch.jpg

For your trip, Carolyn and the others, here below are the current weather projections for a few of the initial stops on your Seabourn cruise starting Sept. 15. Layering is it! Be prepared and be flexible.

On Flam, here's some added background. With a population of about 500, it is nestled deep in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord, 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” The chief attraction here is the 66-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

From AccuWeather.com:

Sept. 15, Depart Copenhagen at 5 pm: Partly sunny and breezy; a couple of afternoon showers. High of 61°F, feeling like: 57°F

Sept. 17, Flam in Norway’s best fjord: Mostly cloudy with showers possible. High of 46°F, feeling like: 48°F

Sept. 18, Alesund, Norway: Mostly sunny with a shower in spots in the afternoon. High of 56°F, feeling like: 54°F

Sept. 20, Molde, Norway: Mostly cloudy with showers. High of 58°F, feeling like: 58°F

Sept. 22, Bergen, Norway: Mostly sunny. High of 54°F, feeling like: 55°F

Carolyn has posted some more details on her trip and had a follow-up note that things were "grim" in Alesund today. She's looking forward to that promised "sunny and 55F" weather coming up in Bergen on Sept. 22.

I told her we had visited Alesund. We enjoyed its dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360 degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. We also had a rental car, went south, took a ferry, crossed to reach famed Runde Island with its many birds, scenic views, etc.

Below are a couple of sample pictures that she could have seen if the weather had been better there in and around Alesund. It's a very nice and interesting town, plus Runde is a great treasure.

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

To the south of Alesund is Runde Island, famous for its birds and scenic views. This show a house on this beautiful island with the mountains on other nearby islands.:

RundeIsHouseMountains.jpg

Runde Island has a very small population, except for the thousands of birds. Here is one of the small farm there with a wall of rock behind it.:

RundeIsFarmRockWall.jpg

Hi, thanks for your patience. I'm primarily going to be posting on the blog (http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/) but just wanted to say hello. Great trip. It rains a lot here :) -- but it's by no means cold, just like a nice autumn temperature. I enjoyed Flam (report's up today) but I loved, just loved Alesund. So that will go up, hopefully, tomorrow.

We're in the Geiranger fjord today, gorgeous.

I haven't met Marja yet but have just clicked on her photo -- and now I can at least say hello when I see her. Went to the Sky Bar at sailaway but somehow must have missed the Cruise Critic gang.

Ship? Magnificent. It's cozy and warm, a great place to hideaway after an active day in port. Service is excellent, just great, and the food is way too good. I'm struggling with my resolutions (okay, let's be honest: so far I've utterly failed. But it's been fun).

Head over to our blog and post some comments and questions there!

Carolyn

Hi, thanks for your patience. I'm primarily going to be posting on the blog (http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/) but just wanted to say hello. Great trip. It rains a lot here :) -- but it's by no means cold, just like a nice autumn temperature. I enjoyed Flam (report's up today) but I loved, just loved Alesund. So that will go up, hopefully, tomorrow. We're in the Geiranger fjord today, gorgeous. Head over to our blog and post some comments and questions there! Carolyn

THANKS, Carolyn, for the wonderful posting on your Flam visit, riding the rails, seeing the mountains & waterfalls, taking your bike back down to the port, drinking beer, etc. Great fun! I posted a couple of comments to your blog site. It's definitely worth checking out this blog site and posting some questions and comments. Carolyn has many nice pictures and an enjoyable narrative to share the glory of this trip to see this fjord area "up close and personal". Below are a few pictures from our trip for what Carolyn and the others on the Seabourn ship will be seeing today in the Geiranger fjord. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here is a closer view of this Geiranger harbor with two ships tendered there.:

Fjord2ShipsCloser.jpg

At the end of our visit to Geiranger, our last fjord stop, here was this cute troll to whom fellow cruiser Sharon decided to give a little hug and big chin tickle.:

FjordHuggingTroll.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Next shown is directly opposite in this narrow fjord and is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

FjordWaterfallSuitor-1.jpg

Hi, thanks for your patience. I'm primarily going to be posting on the blog (www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/) but just wanted to say hello. Great trip. It rains a lot here :) -- but it's by no means cold, just like a nice autumn temperature. I enjoyed Flam (report's up today) but I loved, just loved Alesund. So that will go up, hopefully, tomorrow.

We're in the Geiranger fjord today, gorgeous.

I haven't met Marja yet but have just clicked on her photo -- and now I can at least say hello when I see her. Went to the Sky Bar at sailaway but somehow must have missed the Cruise Critic gang.

Ship? Magnificent. It's cozy and warm, a great place to hideaway after an active day in port. Service is excellent, just great, and the food is way too good. I'm struggling with my resolutions (okay, let's be honest: so far I've utterly failed. But it's been fun).

Head over to our blog and post some comments and questions there!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn!

I have not met you yet, that is true.... but I asked reception if they know you and they could not find you and said they would know you if you were a Cruise Critic Editor.....? I'm sure we will meet maybe even later today. We are in Molde today and went for a walk in town. It is getting brighter (even see some sun) so I will go outside and read my book!

Marja

I'm watching the Sojourn this morning on the Bergen webcam. It looks cold and rainy. Martita B

Sadly for tomorrow/Thursday in Stavanger, Norway, it is looking like more rain. High around 60F. About four or five days ago, AccuWeather changed to indicated rain today in Bergen. Too bad they were correct. Look forward to reading Carolyn's report from visiting Bergen.

So I just came across Terry's first "accuweather" forecast -- before the cruise started -- and I swear I saw many, many references to "sunny" (at least partly sunny). Laughing. Haven't had much of that. But I have to say -- this has been an absolutely awesome cruise and I wouldn't change anything. Not even the weather! It's a marvelous trip and anyone with hesitations about going shouldn't worry (especially when you see how much it would cost to do this on land. I travel all over the world and think Norway's one of the priciest places; thought Iceland was bad this summer but now am reconsidering!). This has been one of the best cruises ever. I have a lot of stuff to report but we don't want to flood the blog. But, coming up (for sure): the day in Molde, yesterday's fantastic glacier adventure in Olden, and today's equally fantastic trip to the market in Bergen with chef Graeme (as rain streamed down around us). The food is way too good on this ship. Blogged about that yesterday. Have a couple of minor ship-related tales but nothing dramatic (all good) and so will probably save for the new ship review. Love your feedback -- it's nice to know someone's reading! Carolyn

Here is more on what was posted on the Northern Europe/Baltics board. THANKS to Carolyn, for the update! That early "sunny" projection by AccuWeather was updated a few days before her arrival in Bergen to indicate that it would be rainy. Glad to hear things are going super well. Look forward to reading all of the details on your UK blog posting. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923[/u

Was that you waving from the house with a flag and blowing a horn?

I waved back with an orange blanket!

Marja

No that was not me,i was down whit the water in the front of the big white building ( hotel ) you passed on your way out :)

Archived