Overbooking

Jim Avery

Does seem like a contradiction in terms for a ship. Unless there was a computer glitch somewhere and the same cabin was sold to two different passengers. Which I guess is the basic explanation. Awkward for all concerned. I wonder if there are Federal rules which apply--as they do in the case of airlines--in which the forms and levels of compensation are spelled out.Airlines do it all the time as they anticipate a percentage of "no shows" and try to compensate. But the 90-day lead time for a ship--as you note-- would certainly argue against that.

How did you become aware of this anomaly?

Email from my TA this morning. They offered a full refund, a free 7 day cruise in the future and payment for any airline change charges plus a $200 onboard credit on the future cruise. Looks like enough people took them up on it. I assume it will be a completely full cruise. :eek:

J.

Email from my TA this morning. They offered a full refund, a free 7 day cruise in the future and payment for any airline change charges plus a $200 onboard credit on the future cruise. Looks like enough people took them up on it. I assume it will be a completely full cruise. :eek:

J.

If you have flexibility then that is a pretty good deal.

J.

Certainly not taking away any disappointment these changes will bring to you, I do think once again Seabourn demonstrates that it deserves to be regarded as a "5 star operation".

If you have flexibility then that is a pretty good deal.

I agree. The ones we wanted to trade for were all full as well. As far as next year, we have too many irons in the fire at this time so we did not take the offer. I understand they did find enough to solve the situation. That means, almost time to pack!!!:D

Happened to us last year on the Dalmation Gems. We had already left and I would not have accepted their offer anyway. We had booked air independently and I really had my heart set on that cruise. It was truly magical. My cruise leaving Oct. 16th is fully booked. So much for a bad economy.

I agree. The ones we wanted to trade for were all full as well. As far as next year, we have too many irons in the fire at this time so we did not take the offer. I understand they did find enough to solve the situation. That means, almost time to pack!!!:D

I hope none of your group bailed on you - I have been following the build-up on the SD board and it sounds like you're going to have a great time.

Jim

So happy to hear that you kept your booking on the Spirit.

Pleeeeze do not "run off" our brand new Captain ~~I have a funny feeling that Captain "Dag" is going to have his hands full ~he he

You'll certain enjoy Armand, dining room Maitre'D ~tell him I send bigggg Texas size hug's to him. (by the way, he has a great full Superman suit I took him ~~yep.....start thinkin' :eek:)

Have a wonderful sailing ~

Martita B.

Jim

Pleeeeze do not "run off" our brand new Captain ~~I have a funny feeling that Captain "Dag" is going to have his hands full ~he he

You'll certain enjoy Armand, dining room Maitre'D ~tell him I send bigggg Texas size hug's to him. (by the way, he has a great full Superman suit I took him ~~yep.....start thinkin' :eek:)

Martita B.

Thanks Martita. Wish you were going with us. Superman suit?? There must be a great story with that one.:D Maybe the Captain will enlighten us.:eek:

Jim

Martita B.

Hey MB,

You appear to be an SB genius.

Any not-to-miss SB tips for me & Jim Avery?

We're SB newbies, ya know.

I hope none of your group bailed on you - I have been following the build-up on the SD board and it sounds like you're going to have a great time.

Rest assured, johnnycruise.

Our group is still together.

It's one heck of a group, that's for sure.

In fact, I don't think Spirit will be the same once we disembark. :eek::D

>"Any not-to-miss SB tips for me & Jim Avery?"

If you use the search function and type in 'Tips' you get 9 pages, some topics many be helpful, such as' what not to pack', etc. You can omit the ones about tipping per se. There might be a better search word, but I didn't find it. Unless of course, your question is entirely rhetorical.

You can always ask Martha about her balloons, naturally.

Overbooking a sailing happens fairly often ~I know at times if the voyage is oversold the entertainers or lecturers are moved from suites 100, 101, etc down to crew quarter's to make available those suites for Guests. (while aboard check out suite 100 ~different configuration ~some Guests actually request #'s 100 & 101)

Cammiem, here are a few 'lit Sister's tips:

Upon entering your suite, move the chair from underneath the vanity over to your door (or window) ~then roll your coffee table barrel stool and place underneath the vanity. This makes a big difference ~ more room between the bed and vanity.

For the ladies: ask your Stewardess for a oblong wicker laundry basket. Pleace on your vanity for make-up or other items. Also I like 2 blue bathmats in my bathroom. Just ask Tracy, I think she'll be your Ex. Housekeeper.

I usually take a pkg. of Walmart rubber doorstops (2 in pkg) These come in handy if expecting room service or neighbors/friends dropping by. (give the other one to a fellow shipmate)

If the ship should experience rough seas my good buddy, Capt Dexter shared this 'ole sailor trick with me. Take the life jackets and place them lengthwise under the mattress ~on both sides. Sleep in the middle of the bed. You'll never awaken with sore muscles.

O.K. Jane, since you blabbed.......he he

Girl's, take a few colorful medium size balloons and blow them up and place in your bathroom ~ rinse out your "dainties", drape over the blown up balloons ~your underpinings will dry in no time!!! Why?? I don't know ~~(once on a Pride voyage my cute 'lit Housekeeper ask me, Miss Martha, why do you always have those balloons in your bathroom?? I replied, "well dear, those are for my dance act tonight in the Club......."she didn't blink an eye and said, "Ohhh that'll be NICE!")

Last, but not least: at lunch be sure to ask your dining room server if the fry Chef will send out a platter of onion rings to your table ~place in the middle for everyone to nibble on ~these are TO die for!! Better than the bread sticks!

Have a grand voyage ~surely wish I could be aboard to enjoy all the fun and festive "phooey!":p

Martita B.

Overbooking a sailing happens fairly often ~I know at times if the voyage is oversold the entertainers or lecturers are moved from suites 100, 101, etc down to crew quarter's to make available those suites for Guests. (while aboard check out suite 100 ~different configuration ~some Guests actually request #'s 100 & 101)

Cammiem, here are a few 'lit Sister's tips:

Upon entering your suite, move the chair from underneath the vanity over to your door (or window) ~then roll your coffee table barrel stool and place underneath the vanity. This makes a big difference ~ more room between the bed and vanity.

For the ladies: ask your Stewardess for a oblong wicker laundry basket. Pleace on your vanity for make-up or other items. Also I like 2 blue bathmats in my bathroom. Just ask Tracy, I think she'll be your Ex. Housekeeper.

I usually take a pkg. of Walmart rubber doorstops (2 in pkg) These come in handy if expecting room service or neighbors/friends dropping by. (give the other one to a fellow shipmate)

If the ship should experience rough seas my good buddy, Capt Dexter shared this 'ole sailor trick with me. Take the life jackets and place them lengthwise under the mattress ~on both sides. Sleep in the middle of the bed. You'll never awaken with sore muscles.

O.K. Jane, since you blabbed.......he he

Girl's, take a few colorful medium size balloons and blow them up and place in your bathroom ~ rinse out your "dainties", drape over the blown up balloons ~your underpinings will dry in no time!!! Why?? I don't know ~~(once on a Pride voyage my cute 'lit Housekeeper ask me, Miss Martha, why do you always have those balloons in your bathroom?? I replied, "well dear, those are for my dance act tonight in the Club......."she didn't blink an eye and said, "Ohhh that'll be NICE!")

Last, but not least: at lunch be sure to ask your dining room server if the fry Chef will send out a platter of onion rings to your table ~place in the middle for everyone to nibble on ~these are TO die for!! Better than the bread sticks!

Have a grand voyage ~surely wish I could be aboard to enjoy all the fun and festive "phooey!":p

Martita B.

Ooooooh, MB!!!

That's wonderfully fabulous info!

Thank you SO much.

Will definitely do the onion ring thing. Will report back here (or on my blog) with a review.

And, um, yes. My group is full of phooey.:D

It's always a very nice surprise if a sailing is almost sold out to be upgraded to one of the Owners Suites ~if available.

Spirit Sept 25th sailor's will be in for a real treat if Sean Smit is bartender at the Sky Bar ~he's as good as Nelson ! (if's he's aboard tell him I'm buying the 1st round during Sail-a-bration!)

Cammiem ~~why don't you perch on my proverbial stool at the Sky Bar? It's the far right one ~by the service kitchen ~best seat in the house!:p

Have a grand time!

MB

It's always a very nice surprise if a sailing is almost sold out to be upgraded to one of the Owners Suites ~if available.

Spirit Sept 25th sailor's will be in for a real treat if Sean Smit is bartender at the Sky Bar ~he's as good as Nelson ! (if's he's aboard tell him I'm buying the 1st round during Sail-a-bration!)

Cammiem ~~why don't you perch on my proverbial stool at the Sky Bar? It's the far right one ~by the service kitchen ~best seat in the house!:p

Have a grand time!

MB

Not if I get there first!!:D

This cruise is also overbooked and we also got the same email. You don't expect this 1 week before departure and certainly not from a deluxe liner who assigns cabins at payment date. Bizarre disappointing and upsetting. I must also add that the call centre that handles customer calls always has a wait attached to it.This happened on at least 4 occasions during the booking/service process.

I must admit I did not get this from SilverSea.

Have a grand time!

MB

Sweetheart - I'm there!

Your barstool will be mine.

I promise - I'll take very, very good care of it.

What's your favorite drink? I'll have one in your honor.

Archived